Sochi Ceremonies...

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o And to think i've wasted all my previous ceremonies watching at home, being in the stadium or being too young to remember. :D I can't wait to share these games with all you great folk! :D

I wouldn't call being in the stadium a waste!!

Is the first pic a real spoiler picture? Or is it from another event?

But, all of us know that Kazan was a "rehearsal" of Sochi, indeed!!! I don´t expect something so different. It was so cool!!!

The first pic could be a rehearsal foto from one of the hockey rinks. Like maybe they were testing the costumes???

Nah. Isn't the IOC policy very strict about the presence of corporate logos inside Olympic venues? I doubt that they would have such banners with the Olympic Rings plus several sponsor logos inside one of the hockey rinks.

The setup also doesn't look at all like a big venue. It looks like a small ice rink in front of a small stage in some sort of exhibition hall or recreational centre. Maybe it was just a promotional show for the Games somewhere in Sochi, but not in an Olympic venue.

P.S. Furthermore, the graphical elements on the right of that banner behind those costumed dancers don't look like the official look of the Games. So the picture must have been taken at some corporate event linked to the Games or of an event hosted by the City of Sochi or something like that.

Ooooo I'm really excited now. Ugh. I just can't wait. Guys, it's almost here! :D

Will we have a live chat forum during the ceremony?

It looks as if Yoshi's "Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony" thread is going to be used as a Live Chat thread, then an East-coast tape-delay chat thread, and so on ...

d0d5.jpg

http://fotki.yandex.ru/search/сочи/users/sochi-like/view/729506

Building on a banner exclusive!

So if the Capacity is 40,000 Seats for the Winter Olympics, and 47,000 for the World Cup, where are the extra 7,000 seats going to be?

d0d5.jpg

http://fotki.yandex.ru/search/сочи/users/sochi-like/view/729506

Building on a banner exclusive!

Stalinist Gothic; intriguing. It seems to be a stylised representation of the Ukraina Hotel in Moscow, but I suspect the key is the style rather than the particular building:

citiesxlhotelukrania1.jpg

(source: http://forum.citiesxl.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2242&start=20 )

I do, I love that forum : )

It's a good site but its got very prejudiced moderators. They jump to everything the extremely sensitive and touchy Russian posters report. It's like an ideal WOGs; like a real Potemkin village. Of course, if I wrote this there, it would immediately disappear in a few hours because it's something unfavorable and does not mesh with their idea of a real utopian society.

That flat 2-D black-and-white banner doesn't really look like a prop for a state-of-the-art ceremony, especially if you compare it to London's rising smokestacks from the opening or the miniature landmarks from the closing ceremony. And how bad will it be for the spectators seated behind that banner? Anyway, I'm patient enough to wait for the ceremony itself and see how that banner will be used. Maybe it will be better than it looks now.

Besides: I wonder whether the Olympic Stadium will still get the "Look of the Games" hoardings and banners. Even if it isn't a sports venue, the respective Olympic Stadium usually gets decorated in the Games' look also at Winter Games.

I know... architectural critics around the world don't exactly go into near-orgasms over the wedding-cake kitsch of Stalinist-era architecture. I really wonder why they're including it in the show? But then again, we're not Russian, so we wouldn't know...

Stalinist architecture is actually incredible to see in person. I was gobsmacked by The Seven Sisters in Moscow.

What I found somewhat ironic is that many of those Stalinist skyscrapers were very similar to many of the 20s and 30s scrapers going up across the US.

Stalinist architecture is actually incredible to see in person. I was gobsmacked by The Seven Sisters in Moscow.

What I found somewhat ironic is that many of those Stalinist skyscrapers were very similar to many of the 20s and 30s scrapers going up across the US.

Yeah, but the US workers got paid. The Soviet workers paid with their lives.

Soviet Russian and Stalinist architecture is powerful and extraordinary in it's own way just as the Imperial palaces and buildings are in Russia. I think the Soviet era should be included in the ceremony, but i hope that they portray both the triumphs and tragedies of those times.

Archived