Sochi Ceremonies...

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it will be lit by the unlit torch which went onto space? That's a nice touch, although it still doesn't count as lighting it on space.

It was a silly pretext to justify sending the "torch" into space and making it part of the relay. I really hope the IOC puts a tamp on such over-the-top displays including those underwater legs. Like who really sees it there...except for the fish??? :blink:

Oh, okay - at first I misread the Xinhua report as "The Olympic flame will be lit at the main stadium from the torch of which one specimen was once exposed in the space." Which sums up as: "The Olympic flame will be lit from a torch." My initial reaction of course was: "Really????? No way!!!!" ;)

If they really use the torch that went to space, it's a silly stunt indeed. One can't even prove that it's the very same torch. And I mean, what will they do if that very torch doesn't work on opening night or explodes in flames, like some of its siblings? So I won't really buy it that it will be exactly that torch, but it doesn't matter anyway, because it adds no meaning whatsoever to the lighting of the cauldron.

And reading such reports, I get an increasing feeling that Sochi will stage a Winter Disneyland, with lots of constrained and hollow "bang boom bang" and "glitzy shiny" moments, but a certain lack of substance and convincing narrative.

And to sum all this up: With only one month to go, the Sochi Games still leave me appallingly cold.

It was a silly pretext to justify sending the "torch" into space and making it part of the relay. I really hope the IOC puts a tamp on such over-the-top displays including those underwater legs. Like who really sees it there...except for the fish??? :blink:

True, but one must remember that Sydney had such an underwater leg, too. And I must say that I found that one quite impressive - with that torch burning brightly under water, in nice tropical blue water. It fit somehow, too, because the torch was visiting Oceania.

Sochi's underwater leg, however just was a poor rip-off, in a cold, dark, opaque lake and the flame burning from a wick awkwardly put on top of the actual torch. It's a bit like Beijing's copy of Athens' global torch relay: It was simply unnecessary and then not even carried out well.

Here's a picture of the Sydney underwater leg:

2000-underwater_1898741i.jpg

As opposed to Sochi's:

http://media.olympics.com.au/files/aocMedia/aocImage/imageHiRes/underwater_torch.JPG

A few more recent internal ones, kind of showing the built up stadium floor, again from Skyscrapercity.com

Oooh yes and in one of the pics you can see they will be blatantly ripping of London 2012 hospital beds LOL

http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/fotogaleria/52b4704de4b00de183370f18/sochi-russia-a-espera-dos-jogos-olimpicos-de-inverno-em-2014

re https://pt.foursquare.com/v/%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%B9%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9-%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BE%D0%BD-%D1%84%D0%B8%D1%88%D1%82--fisht-olympic-stadium/4c74cb7d3adda143b79d05af/photos?openPhotoId=52ceafca498ef09affff8fdf

/\/\ Those are so very old fotos. I mean the stadium isn't even completed there.

They aren't all old, but I do wish there was some magic way to sort them into "date taken" order!

Is it just me or does this picture seem to show the skeletal outline of a human form? Almost looks like a giant marionette? It was taken on Dec. 1162010989_1f9WZ48l5ptEFATOobC_L629FmgpPLV

I didn't saw the pic of the marionette until now, but yeah, considering local culture in the region where Sochi is located also has a figure similar to Prometheus (I forgot his name but he was a giant) they'll probably draw a parallel between these two for the ceremony.

Also this pretty much confirms the hangar is to host larger than life props which will be used for the ceremony.

Well, space surely can't be skipped in a Russian ceremony because folks there are very proud of their firsts in that department. OTOH, this ceremony is probably going to be delivered like the follow-up of this cluttered torch relay and meaningful narrative will most certainly be lost in such an overworked show.

Well, space surely can't be skipped in a Russian ceremony because folks there are very proud of their firsts in that department. OTOH, this ceremony is probably going to be delivered like the follow-up of this cluttered torch relay and meaningful narrative will most certainly be lost in such an overworked show.

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

Sochi has an extremely experienced team driving the concepts that they have decided on, and from the very very brief teaser of the ideas they wanted to portray, it sounds like it is reasonably cohesive.

Keep in mind, Scott Givens is one of the key guys here, and of recent time he has been the go to guy for creative by the IOC, on a number of judging panels for Olympic design.

He also delivered what is probably one of the most complete creative concepts of an Olympic look of the Games, with Salt Lake 2002.

When you have someone like that contributing to the show, I don't think it's going to be a lazy production.

And while many will scof at the authoritarian control of these Sochi Games, who would have thought that one of the most remembered and well loved moments of an Olympic ceremony would be delivered by the USSR. That being the goodbye Misha portion of the Moscow 80 closing.

I actually think we are going to see both an impressive and complete production, and with volunteers involved, it's still going to have alot of heart.

Archived