Sochi Ceremonies...

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please forgive me if a fellow Member has asked this question but what is the Current Construction Status on the Fisht Olympic Stadium and when will it be fully Completed?

Please forgive me if a fellow Member has asked this question but what is the Current Construction Status on the Fisht Olympic Stadium and when will it be fully Completed?

The basic stadium structure should be ready by now. What's getting the finishing touches are the add-ons required for the 4 Ceremonies which will be held there. The main cauldron outside, it appears, is ready for the show.

The basic stadium structure should be ready by now. What's getting the finishing touches are the add-ons required for the 4 Ceremonies which will be held there. The main cauldron outside, it appears, is ready for the show.

Oh right ok now I understand. Thanks. It is truely a Masterpiece of a Stadium and will be a great legacy for the City of Sochi.

This is gonna make Beijing look like a garden party... :o

Beijing's Birds Nest also had a roof that could be lit in different colours. Compare, for example, the greenish-blue lighting at 4:05 in the following video to the dark blue lighting at 5:25 and the green lighting at 13:03:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsDY1Ha83M8

On a serious note, I imagine one of those barn-things will have sliding doors to reveal the cauldron during the ceremony.

I actually think that's very unlikely, because the distance of the Cauldron from the stadium makes the sight-lines horrible:

cauldron-loc.jpg

I wonder if they'll try something bold like a real-time volumetric 3D projection of the cauldron within the stadium?

The Cauldron will probably sit on one of the Open Ends I am guessing.

It's already there. Go back a few posts or go to "The Cauldron" thread for the latest on it.

@yoshi, I doubt that those big hangar doors at the ends will open. If the winds are swirling at the time, then it would be problematic. At most they will project it on the big screens inside.

It's already there. Go back a few posts or go to "The Cauldron" thread for the latest on it.

@yoshi, I doubt that those big hangar doors at the ends will open. If the winds are swirling at the time, then it would be problematic. At most they will project it on the big screens inside.

or a two cauldron system like Vancouver

Yep you are correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been posted but the Village People will be preforming during the Opening Ceremony.

Source

Are they?

This seems like one of those real shoddily written pieces, where they don't know what they're talking about.

Not sure if this has been posted but the Village People will be preforming during the Opening Ceremony.

Source

By the sound of it, they were invited by protesters to go to Sochi and perform there, not by the Russian organisers.

And it's irrelevant also if the lyrics were written with another meaning, the song is clearly nowadays a "gay anthem", so no wonder some people thought it clever to get it played in Sochi.

No, no, no. The writer just sort of guessed that perhaps YMCA should be used as the USA team enters. But #1, it's the Ceremonies team that will pick and determine the music teams will enter by -- not chosen by someone else. With Russia's new law, I doubt that they would be so stupid as to do something like that.

#2 - the Willis guy doesn't want it used; and he (not the group) has been invited to perform, possibly at the Awards concerts, just as Cher has been one of the earlier invitees as well --not for the OC (which is going to be a heavily Russian affair) but at the nightly concerts.

• 2 weeks later...

http://english.cntv.cn/20140105/100346.shtml

Putin watches Sochi Olympics opening ceremony rehearsal

MOSCOW, Jan. 4 (Xinhua) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Saturday watched parts of a rehearsal of the Sochi Olympics opening ceremony.

The president spent his first few days of the new year in the Olympic host city of Sochi, inspecting several sites for the upcoming Games.

The opening ceremony will start February 7 at 20:14 Moscow time, symbolizing the year of 2014. It will take place at the Olympic stadium Fisht and last for three hours.

During the rehearsal, some scenes with participation of actors and volunteers were shown to the president. Reporters were barred from the rehearsal.

According to game organizers, scenarios of the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympic and Paralympic Games are kept secret. Participants signed non-disclosure obligations with organizers.

It is known that the Olympic flame will be lit at the main stadium from the torch that was once exposed in the space. Russian cosmonauts took that torch into space during a spacewalk last year. The name of the last torchbearer has not been released by the organizers.

Earlier Saturday, Putin inspected sports infrastructure facilities in the city, took a train from the mountainous area to the coastal area and visited the Olympic Park railway station.

it will be leaked eventually. it's bound to happen. Specially with the social media as advanced as it is now. If the Beijing 2008 rehearsals were leaked from an even more repressive country, Sochi will be leaked too. It's just a matter of days.

Although if they're rehearsing now, I guess it means the ceremony stage is fully set

So it will be lit by the unlit torch which went onto space? That's a nice touch, although it still doesn't count as lighting it on space.

Archived