Sochi Ceremonies...

OK, time for this. First new headline -- Cher turns down request to perform in Sochi!!

I wonder why?? :blink:

http://aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=44495

Cher Rebuffs Sochi

Cher was asked to perform at the upcoming Sochi Olympics and “immediately said no.”

According to an interview with Canadian outlet MacLean’s, the American recording artist and actress “want to know why all of this gay hate just exploded over there.”

The Russian government has come under fire repeatedly in recent months for a law enacted earlier this year discriminating against homosexual behavior.

Cher, 67, is a longtime gay rights advocate and icon. She is also the mother of a transgender son, Chaz.

Didn't specify though where they envisioned her performing -- Opening, Closing or the nightly medal ceremonies. She should've said...only if Chaz performs as well! :lol::lol:

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gee, those up-and-coming Olympic host nations seem so unsure about themselves and their culture - Spain and China invited Sarah Brightman to perform, now Russia invited Cher. OK, Russia is not the UK in terms of a vast number of internationally famous singers, but I'm sure they could get a decent act together even if they didn't invite international stars like Cher. I would prefer a truly Russian flavour at the Sochi ceremonies over a mishmash of international stars any time. Too bad that the "Trololo man" has died - he sure would have been even more entertaining than Cher, while having probably the same international fame as her.

Well, there is Vitas -- a strange blend of Michael Jackson and Johnny Weir -- even though he is very good looking in the traditional sense.

Here he is singing "Ave Maria" in Los Angeles in full Egyptian Pharaoh's outfit with the most bling. :wacko: Couldn't get any weirder than this. He has pop idol status in China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y87qF_Msys

Gee, those up-and-coming Olympic host nations seem so unsure about themselves and their culture - Spain and China invited Sarah Brightman to perform, now Russia invited Cher. OK, Russia is not the UK in terms of a vast number of internationally famous singers, but I'm sure they could get a decent act together even if they didn't invite international stars like Cher. I would prefer a truly Russian flavour at the Sochi ceremonies over a mishmash of international stars any time. Too bad that the "Trololo man" has died - he sure would have been even more entertaining than Cher, while having probably the same international fame as her.

Kazan ceremonies featured a lot of russian singers, and most of them did a great job. Besides they're a country with a rich music history so they better stick with what they have.

Trouble is, they're in a lose lose situation surely.

How many people were peaved off that Athens trollied out an all Greek artistic line up for the closing ceremony, saying noone had any idea who they were. Im sure if the Russians stacked the ceremonies with Russian stars they would get people saying they want Western people. Ya just can't win.

Cher is a very odd request though , she is hardly relevant at the moment. I think she does have a track with Lady GaGa guesting on there, but that's about it.

Scott Givens is in control though, so I suppose she would possibly fit in to a ceremony he was involved in.

Have we heard about any Russians involved in a lead creative roll, or is Scott Givens taking up the head artistic director job for this one?

How many people were peaved off that Athens trollied out an all Greek artistic line up for the closing ceremony, saying noone had any idea who they were. Im sure if the Russians stacked the ceremonies with Russian stars they would get people saying they want Western people. Ya just can't win.

Cher is a very odd request though , she is hardly relevant at the moment. I think she does have a track with Lady GaGa guesting on there, but that's about it.

Scott Givens is in control though, so I suppose she would possibly fit in to a ceremony he was involved in.

Have we heard about any Russians involved in a lead creative roll, or is Scott Givens taking up the head artistic director job for this one?

Athens had my total respect and admiration for sticking to their guns in their Closing Ceremony and doing it their way. They did do Bjork in the Opening Ceremony - but she suited it. It wasn't completely irrelevant like Cher. Particularly given that she is a well known advocate of LGBTI rights.

As much a I'm probably going to tune out due to my increasing apathy toward Sochi 2014, I think Russia should do what it does best and keep in Russia. I'm sure there would be some interesting pop and electro lurking around the Moscow scene that could do with the global exposure.

I think Cher's invitation was probably for one of the nightly Awards Ceremonies (where they would invite has-been stars like her). And probably, the fact that it was NOT posed to her as "Would you like to headline the Opening (or Closing) Ceremony?" I am sure also fueled her quick and immediate turn-down. ;)

The whole point of the ceremony is to see different cultures and how those cultures see themselves and their Games. The type of people who criticised Athens for that are probably the same people who seek out a Big Mac when they're abroad. Their opinion doesn't count! :lol:

It was nice to see 2 or 3 of the Greek talents -- but VERY STRANGELY, they didn't even include the TWO most famous and globally-known Greek talents -- Nana Mouskouri and Yanni. That was the whole thing with Athens 2004. They missed their targets by such a wide margin.

The whole point of the ceremony is to see different cultures and how those cultures see themselves and their Games. The type of people who criticised Athens for that are probably the same people who seek out a Big Mac when they're abroad. Their opinion doesn't count! :lol:

Hear, hear!

I'm all for cultural specificity.

It was nice to see 2 or 3 of the Greek talents -- but VERY STRANGELY, they didn't even include the TWO most famous and globally-known Greek talents -- Nana Mouskouri and Yanni. That was the whole thing with Athens 2004. They missed their targets by such a wide margin.

No, they missed YOUR targets by a wide margin.

At the time of the video, let's just say they probrably were not the best opening act for R. Kelly! :lol:

They're cute though. Might actually get chosen because of some that worldwide reknown they have outside of Russia. In English interviews then, Lena did all the speaking because Yuliya couldn't speak a word of English.

Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee selects participants for the Games Opening and Closing Ceremonies
19 September 2013

The Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee and the ANCO "Ceremonies Staging Agency" have held auditions for candidates interested in performing at the Sochi 2014 Opening and Closing Olympic and Paralympic Ceremonies.

3,000 young artists from middle and higher art and drama schools, including circus performers, were chosen during the selection process that took place in Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Krasnodar, Novorossiysk and Armavir.

Those selected will take part in a grand performance which will include dance and acrobatic scenes. In addition, 2,000 Sochi 2014 volunteers will help organize the ceremonies on the stage, behind the scenes and in the Olympic park.

A series of auditions for professional groups to select the main performers of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the 2014 Games in Sochi will take place throughout September.

Notes to the Editor

The Opening Ceremony of the XXII Olympic Winter Games in the city of Sochi will take place at the "Fisht" Olympic Stadium on February 7, 2014. The Olympic Winter Games will be declared closed on February 23, 2014. The Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the XI Paralympic Winter Games will take place on March 7, 2014 and March 16, 2014, respectively.

The Autonomous Non-commercial Organization "Ceremonies Staging Agency" is a legal body founded by the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee. The Agency is responsible for providing the most effective implementation of measures for the organization and staging of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the 2014 Games in Sochi in accordance with the requirements of the International Olympic Committee and the International Paralympic Committee.

Sochi 2014

• 2 weeks later...

Archived