Olympic bid logos.

yoshi

I really don't think any of the bid logos have been better than the actual Games time logo.

There are a few that were possibly better from an artistic point of view (Beijing) or from a reasoning point of view (the Torino bid logo had a nice serene back story to it), but the eventual Games logos worked better as a good hardy visual mark that is needed for an event like the Olympics.

The Sochi bid logo for instance looks nicer than the Olympic logo, but I feel it would have been too wishy washy for an Olympic logo, whereas the wordmark logo they went for seems to be standing pretty firm.

I'd probably say the same for Beijing, and I think even the PC2018 logo will go that way too.

• Like 1

My favourites by year:

1992: Paris

1996: Melbourne (Atlanta's was quite modern for the time, and Toronto's was quite 70s and retro)

2000: Sydney

2004: Cape Town (however both Rome and Athens were quite classic, and Rio's was very festive and restrained)

2008: Toronto (great bid logo, one of my favourites - Beijing's bid logo was good too, very warm and happy, unlike the official logo)

2012: London

2016: Tokyo (one of my other faves, and vastly better than their 2020 logo)

2020: Istanbul

1992: Berchtesgaden

1994, 1998, 2002: Ostersund

2006: Sion (very unique and interesting)

2010: Berne

2014: PyeongChang (best of it's three)

2018: Annecy

• Haha 1

Agree with Matty. I think a lot of bid logos, whilst nice in isolation, would struggle to be flexible enough for the hundreds of applications they're needed for. Almost all Olympic logos are vast improvements on what the bid team came up with initially.

But there's always one exception that proves the rule, and that goes to Vancouver for me. It had one of the best bid logos ever followed by one of the worst Olympic logos ever.

Interesting observation - even though I have to admit I completely disagree. :)

I think the bid logo was rather said and cliche Canadian.

I love the official logo - I love its heavy, non-streamlined presence, and the unabashed use of colour. Then again, I'm the only one on here that likes the new PC18 logo. ;)

*STAID and cliche Canadian.

6937.gif

I love the official logo - I love its heavy, non-streamlined presence, and the unabashed use of colour. Then again, I'm the only one on here that likes the new PC18 logo. ;)

total agree...all that

Haha, no no, in certain applications (especially in mono-colour) I do like the PC2018 logo.

The Canadians do like sticking maple leaves in almost every logo they have ever designed, so I was very surprised we didn't get a single one in the Vancouver official logo.

Sydney definitely learned from Melbourne's 1996 logo. Although a step above the simple use of the coat of arms of Australia like Brisbane did (and having the mascot Brizzy Bear as the key visual image of that bid in 1992) and cleverly (at the time when it was allowed) representing both An Olympic flame, the Olympic Colours, the Colours of Australia and Green and "Gold" team colours, it just did not reach the same mark as the Sydney 2000 bid logo.

That logo was instantly recognizable as Sydney, Australian, Aboriginal and having the Olympic colours as well all into one. The outline of the famous Sydney Opera House is evident, something neither Melbourne or Brisbane could do if we tried. We have great national landmarks, but nothing that's as instantly recognizable as the Sydney Opera House or Harbour Bridge.

Haha, no no, in certain applications (especially in mono-colour) I do like the PC2018 logo.

The Canadians do like sticking maple leaves in almost every logo they have ever designed, so I was very surprised we didn't get a single one in the Vancouver official logo.

What about Quebec 2002 and 2010? Back in the times where the Olympic flame was permitted to be shown on a bid logo, they opted for the ship of Champlain, rather than any attempt at a maple leaf or fleur de lis or hybrid or even hybrid with the ship.

2004 had the best crop in terms of Bid Logos

lg2004b3.gif

I've often thought this one of the stranger selections for a bid logo.

Man and Pegasus sculpture by Carl Milles.

I know it's one of the more famous sculptures in Stockholm, but it's not as iconic as other aspects of Stockholm.

I remember pondering over it for some years before I discovered what it was all about.

It' does fit in well with the classy field of 2004 logos, still, an od choice I would've thought.