Istanbul 2024 - bridging the world

before I leave the gb boards for a long time, wanted to start this topic ..

well gosh you'll never know it can be helpfull maybe as the time is ripe ..

i know 1 thing fur sure .. i will never stop thinking about the olympics ..

it's grown on me the olympic spirit.. "for the love of the games, for the love of the continents"

meanwhile the istanbul 2020 bid video over-succeeded my expectations.. it overwhelmed my heart..

istanbul is still a diamond where the olympic games will come to.. hopefully once in a lifetime..

i love you miles..

fatih

fatixx, u can't be serious. #1 - the region has to quiet down.

#2 - Get rid of Erdogan. Put in a more liberal, visionary leader.

#3 - Get 4 bridges going across the Bosphorus; get 2 tunnels going...in other words, get rid of the traffic gridlock that stalls Istanbul movements;

#4 - Don't have so many athletes caught getting doped.

Let those 4 things happen and the IOC will really take Istanbul more seriously.

• Like 1

fatixx, u can't be serious. #1 - the region has to quiet down.

#2 - Get rid of Erdogan. Put in a more liberal, visionary leader.

#3 - Get 4 bridges going across the Bosphorus; get 2 tunnels going...in other words, get rid of the traffic gridlock that stalls Istanbul movements;

#4 - Don't have so many athletes caught getting doped.

Let those 4 things happen and the IOC will really take Istanbul more seriously.

Perfect!

• 3 months later...

Istanbul Turkey will be like the Detroit of the 21st century have a boom period with bidding over and over again for the Olympics Games then later they will go bankrupt and have sky high unemployment, If they keep bidding each time and lose to 2040 they will beat Detroit record on number of the most failed bids in history and I don't see Turkey hosting the Olympics Games any time soon in this century.

Istanbul Turkey will be like the Detroit of the 21st century have a boom period with bidding over and over again for the Olympics Games then later they will go bankrupt and have sky high unemployment, If they keep bidding each time and lose to 2040 they will beat Detroit record on number of the most failed bids in history and I don't see Turkey hosting the Olympics Games any time soon in this century.

I 100 Per cent agree. Although they are investing in infrastructure, but the problem is violence in the country and unemployment rates.

• 2 weeks later...

Montreal had violence and unemployment?

Actually it was the "dark decade" known by the violent antagonism between the French and English speaking communities -October Crisis- and the growth of a economical recession when bussiness and industries close activities.

The 70s. was a bad time for Montreal.

Actually it was the "dark decade" known by the violent antagonism between the French and English speaking communities -October Crisis- and the growth of a economical recession when bussiness and industries close activities.

The 70s. was a bad time for Montreal.

This may be the dumbest thing I have ever read on this site. You are comparing what happened in Montreal 6 years prior to the Games in a safe and democratic nation to the actual struggles of people in countries like Russia today.

This may be the dumbest thing I have ever read on this site. You are comparing what happened in Montreal 6 years prior to the Games in a safe and democratic nation to the actual struggles of people in countries like Russia today.

It wasn't a direct comparaison -Heck, I didn't enter Russia in the equation :rolleyes: -. Your direct question was: Montreal had violence and unemployment? And the answer was yes -Even with the high standards of life, Montreal faces the worst times prior to the Olympics with high levels of unemployment, economic recession and political inestability. As you never used a complement for your question I started the question as direct.

It wasn't a direct comparaison -Heck, I didn't enter Russia in the equation :rolleyes: -. Your direct question was: Montreal had violence and unemployment? And the answer was yes -Even with the high standards of life, Montreal faces the worst times prior to the Olympics with high levels of unemployment, economic recession and political inestability. As you never used a complement for your question I started the question as direct.

Obviously as a Canadian I know all of that. But you said Rio and Sochi are the Montreal and Mexico City of our era, which is a bit of an unfair comparison imo.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't Erzurum host Winter Universiade? That could be a starting point, but it would be even tougher to sell than Istanbul for summer. If Turkey had more of a winter sports tradition, or at least emerge in some way, but that's still too exotic.

Didn't Erzurum host Winter Universiade? That could be a starting point, but it would be even tougher to sell than Istanbul for summer. If Turkey had more of a winter sports tradition, or at least emerge in some way, but that's still too exotic.

Actually a Turkish WOG can be a good B-plan and yes, Erzurum hoster the Universiade. But the two obstacles -And not exactly the lo winter sport tradition- are: a. Lack of infrastructure in the region and b. The proximity to a volatile region.