Kraków 2022

PaStKaz

Sorry, I don't quite see it that way. Yeah, I backed Krakow because I thought it had a good chance. Now, if their citizenry chose otherwise, that's their problem -- not mine. And I don't regret backing it. So sue me... :P

Backing a bid is one thing. You forecast their victory -- which is altogether different.

I don't care. I just think, at this point, Krakow's going to take it. I reserve the right to change my mind. R u going to hold me to it?? :rolleyes:

See here's the thing.. it wasn't so much that you were backing Krakow is that you were trashing the heck out of Oslo and pretty much insulting anyone who had something positive to say about that. As if an Oslo 2022 Olympics would be some blight on the Olympic movement because you told us so. Like I said back then, you're entitled to your opinion and your usual lack of objectivity. And no, no one is going to hold you to it. But that being said, it would be refreshing for you to own up to making a bad call instead of continuing to pass the buck onto everyone else when you called a lot of people out for not listening to you.

But that being said, it would be refreshing for you to own up to making a bad call instead of continuing to pass the buck onto everyone else when you called a lot of people out for not listening to you.

That's never going to happen.

The man vigorously defended his own denigrating fat jokes despite being clearly in the wrong. To add insult to injury, he couldn't even be bothered to find out the woman's name, calling her "what's-her-name" in subsequent post (it's Magdalena, btw). All he saw was an opportunity for a cheap laugh at someone's expense. Rather than own up to any of this, he blamed me for being a killjoy and put me on ignore.

The man is incapable of admitting his mistakes.

No offence, but this doesn't make much sense. Why would the Conservatives get backing from UKIP - they're vying for the same votes?! UKIP will be lucky to get a couple of MPs in Parliament, but they could disrupt the political map enough swing some constituencies towards Labour. In other words, they'll split the vote on the right in the same way the Lib Dems split the vote on the left. I'm not saying it will happen, but the most likely result at the next election is a Labour majority. Look at Lord Ashcroft's polling this week if you want more detail.

Anyway, this is way off topic. My main point was Euro election results aren't necessarily indicitive of the direction a country will take domestically, and it's the domestic politics which determine what happens with Olympic bids.

UKIP leader said that if Cameron would hold a vote on EU membership he would get UKIP to back the conservatives. Very similar to the Tea Party backing the Republicans.

Let's remember Lake Tahoe area hosted the 1960 Winter Olympics and most people who went to it stayed in Reno, Reno Committee been working on a bid for over an decade, Reno could be the Barcelona of Winter Games to transform an city. Salt Lake City just hosted it and Denver will have to give it an miss until the IOC leadership was born after 1972 so Reno - Lake Tahoe will be the USA next best chance for the Winter Games.

Too bad that is a terrible analysis. Barcelona is a historical and beautiful city which at the time of it's election had the backing of a very powerful IOC President, in short it was the right city at the right time. People want to visit Barcelona, so many people that it is one of the most visited cities in Europe, people do not and would not want to visit Reno, and if your using Tahoe's lack of rooms (in the 60s) as a plus to why Reno should or could host I wish you luck in life.

Reno ain't going to host... no way the politics of both California and Nevada come together. But do be fair, Reno does has a stadium, which puts it ahead of many similar-size options.

All of Reno's competition are cities much larger. Salt Lake City and Denver are international cities or former hosts, they have enough hotels and huge airports. Both have appropriately sized airports to handle the traffic and enough venues to prevent high costs.

The US is lucky in that we have lots of college football stadiums in small towns (and big cites too obviously), But the typical mountian town in the world doesn't have one and sure doesn't need one. One of the *big* white elephants many potential WOG hosts faces.

And are any of the *serious* US WOG potential host cities small mountain towns?

Who listens to 15 and 16-year olds here? :rolleyes: Why do they think that their opinions or prognostications carry any weight??

Why does a 65 year old man who makes fat jokes opinions carry any weight? Honestly Baron do you have to result to these petty comments in order to 'beat' an opponent of your view points? I don't buy into the joke that is a Reno Olympics and it looks like I'm not alone on that train of thought.

See here's the thing.. it wasn't so much that you were backing Krakow is that you were trashing the heck out of Oslo and pretty much insulting anyone who had something positive to say about that. As if an Oslo 2022 Olympics would be some blight on the Olympic movement because you told us so. Like I said back then, you're entitled to your opinion and your usual lack of objectivity. And no, no one is going to hold you to it. But that being said, it would be refreshing for you to own up to making a bad call instead of continuing to pass the buck onto everyone else when you called a lot of people out for not listening to you.

So what? It didn't happen. Do u think I'm losing any sleep over it? Please... I've moved on. But you guys just wallow in it. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

UKIP leader said that if Cameron would hold a vote on EU membership he would get UKIP to back the conservatives. Very similar to the Tea Party backing the Republicans.

Actually, it's nothing like that... The UK has a parlimentary system that works vastly different from the two-party system in the US.

>>> All of Reno's competition are cities much larger. Salt Lake City and Denver are international cities or former hosts, they have enough hotels and huge airports. Both have appropriately sized airports to handle the traffic and enough venues to prevent high costs.

Reno's got problem... but they are good with access and hotel rooms. Reno airport is fine, Plus you have millions of Americans and other airports in driving distance.

So what? It didn't happen. Do u think I'm losing any sleep over it? Please... I've moved on. But you guys just wallow in it. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

We don't wallow in it. We'll just remember it when you try to shove the next argument down our throats and insult everyone who chooses to disagree with you.

Actually, it's nothing like that... The UK has a parlimentary system that works vastly different from the two-party system in the US.

Zeke I know that, I'm not stupid. What I'm saying is that the Tea Party gave support to the Republicans during both the 2010 primaries and the 2012 Presidential elections. The UKIP leader has said that his party will support and promote the Conservatives if Cameron follows his promise of a EU membership vote after a possible reelection.

The UKIP is not stupid, they know that they could never take Parliament. Their best bet is to use their powerful voice to keep the Conservatives in Parliament and use their voice again to get the Conservatives to do what the UKIP wants.

It's very similar to what the Tea Party did to Republicans.

>>> All of Reno's competition are cities much larger. Salt Lake City and Denver are international cities or former hosts, they have enough hotels and huge airports. Both have appropriately sized airports to handle the traffic and enough venues to prevent high costs.

Reno's got problem... but they are good with access and hotel rooms. Reno airport is fine, Plus you have millions of Americans and other airports in driving distance.

Look Reno would be plausible in the early years of the games, but now the games are much larger. When the USOC as two major US cities interested in hosting I think they are going to choose the larger cities over the tiny Reno (which would have to rely on Tahoe for events). They would be fools not to.

. When the USOC as two major US cities interested in hosting I think they are going to choose the larger cities over the tiny Reno (which would have to rely on Tahoe for events). They would be fools not to.

You mean the way Denver would have to rely on Vail*. Or SLC would have to rely on Park City?

Reno has capacity... airports, hotels, infrastructure, etc. It's the money, leadership, support, "story", intangibles, etc. it lacks.

PS - Not to sidetrack into politics too much, but the "tea party" is just another name for the more conservative wing of the Republican Party. Outside of the Republican party, it has no organization, leader, members of congress, etc. Nothing like UKIP.

Yes, you DO wallow in it. Insult "everyone," really? :rolleyes: U're in fantasyland. :rolleyes:

Whatever.

I'd say "back to topic" here, except A.) I'm not Tony and B.) somehow the topics of this thread have become British Parliament and Reno. I'd actually be more surprised if we were still discussing Krakow here.

You mean the way Denver would have to rely on Vail*. Or SLC would have to rely on Park City?

Reno has capacity... airports, hotels, infrastructure, etc. It's the money, leadership, support, "story", intangibles, etc. it lacks.

All of those cities/towns are in each respective sate. Lake Tahoe is in California and a Reno bid would have to rely on the cooperation between Nevada and California, two states with completely different goals and economic climates.

Well, Krakow 2022 is done. So no more to discuss on that front anyway.

We will analyze what went wrong ten years from now...

Lake Tahoe is in California and a Reno bid would have to rely on the cooperation between Nevada and California, two states with completely different goals and economic climates.

Completely agree (well, Tahoe is partially in CA)... state politics is going to be hard for a bid to overcome. That's why I keep saying a possible Tahoe bid has all sorts of problem. But capacity isn't one of them.

To get back to Krakow, I will say I very much enjoyed learning more about the city. It seems like such a lovely place. One of the great things about following the Olympics is the opportunity to learn more about geography and culture! Also it was nice to get some new Polish members on the forums and I hope you will stick around. I have a feeling we could see Krakow bidding again someday...

• Like 2

I have a feeling we could see Krakow bidding again someday...

Actually its hard to believe in it today ;-)

Not because Krakow is unable to organize this event.

Between november 2013 and may 2014 social support fell from 70% to 30%. Its an effect of huge media storm.

Krakow wont find a politicial who wont be afraid of facing this 'parade of hate' for decades.

Still, I guess Warsaw will be bidding withing 10 years.

///

And also curiosity.

Mayor of Zakopane (snow zone of Krakow in 2022) pissed off decisions in the referendum and demanded the acquisition of the project by Zakopane. Today he meets up with the authorities of Krakow, and Polish and Slovak Olympic Committee. Im sure it wont work, just to mention.

The whole situation still smells bad big time for me and i don't believe it happened for no reason. I know i might sound too political here (but thats because i'm highly interested in happenings of political scene), but Polish media have strong tendency to follow current government party narration, so this media storm against Olympics sounds odd to me.... fact is lot of public money been given and now wasted for this bid makes me even more suspicious. I agree with those saying that referendum should be done before applying then now, doing opposite is literally stupid, it makes me a lot more disappointing then losing bid or even short listed.

Now i cheer for Almaty ;p

And also curiosity.

Mayor of Zakopane (snow zone of Krakow in 2022) pissed off decisions in the referendum and demanded the acquisition of the project by Zakopane. Today he meets up with the authorities of Krakow, and Polish and Slovak Olympic Committee. Im sure it wont work, just to mention.

But now we know it didn't work out, as for Warsaw bid in 10 years i'm afraid our economical situation might worse then it is now... but a lot of things may happens during 10 years.

• 3 months later...

Just watched the USA-France volleyball match held in Krakow. It's part of the Men's World Championships going on across Poland, and the arena is I'd say 75% full...for a non-Poland game. So I don't understand how the local Krakovians weren't into supporting a 2022 bid.

Easier to support a small portion of an event like the World Volleyball Champinships in a single arena than it is to take on the task of hosting a Winter Olympics and the billions of dollars it would have cost them.

• 4 months later...

Just watched the USA-France volleyball match held in Krakow. It's part of the Men's World Championships going on across Poland, and the arena is I'd say 75% full...for a non-Poland game. So I don't understand how the local Krakovians weren't into supporting a 2022 bid.

Actully vollyball is pretty much one of polish games, we had successes in the past in both man and woman vollayball, in London 2012 biggest hype was on our volleyball team who just won world league regardless of fact that our strongest side in olympics where we get most medals are technical atletic sports. But volleyball is nothing... check out ski jumping ;p

The decision of people was purely political and fear of huge fianace cost where polish politics are known to waste money already.

our volleyball team who just won world league regardless of fact that our strongest side in olympics where we get most medals are technical atletic sports.

Uhmmm, are we talking about the same World League?

http://www.fivb.org/EN/volleyball/competitions/WorldLeague/2014/

As far as I know, USA men won the 2014 World League (and which is why they were too tired for the World Championships and didn't win that one).