Kraków 2022

PaStKaz

Each NO strenghtened the next. I truly believe now that Oslo will follow Krakow's steps and quit soon.

I was wondering about that. It seems probable that this vote will galvanize the Norwegian naysayers: "The Germans, Swiss, Swedes and Poles all decided this was a bad idea. We should pay attention."

NO: 70%

YES: 30%

Is that the final ones ? As this was already the results from 50% of the districts ? with at that time a turnout of 34%...

Is that the final ones ? As this was already the results from 50% of the districts ? with at that time a turnout of 34%...

It's the only final we have. Still it's legit, this means the bids done. Now we are unofficially down to two capable candidates.

Were just waiting to see if Oslo pulls out.

I wonder if Ukraine's recent election could help Lviv?

Are you kidding me. A country on the brink of civil war. This doesn't change anything on the viability (or in this case, lack thereof) of the Lviv "bid". At this dire point, dare I say, even Almaty looks more appealing than Lviv.

On a technical benchmark alone, Lviv would still fail miserably & would certainly warrant to be cut. The IOC letting them through at this stage, would most certainly make them seem very desperate. Oslo is still in, for the time being. But even if they too, withdraw at somepoint, Lviv is just nonsensical, choice or no choice.

I think I've just died a little on the inside. I'm not entirely sure why. I've never had any sentimental relationship with Kraków or with it's bid. Although I am late for the depression train, my heart is still locked on Kraków (though my brain tells me otherwise). Best of luck Oslo :unsure:

I think you're giving the IOC too much credit. They're some of the most incompetent, self serving individuals out there. Lviv should for all intents and purposes be a non-starter, but knowing the IOC, it's not. With so few bids and the possibility of Oslo dropping out, I think it would look very bad for the IOC if there's just two horses in the race. Let Lviv get shortlisted and have there butts handed to them come election time.

And no **** Almaty is more appealing. Like you said, FYI, Ukraine is on the brink of civil war.

• Like 1

the ioc really should release some vague statement testing the waters for new bidders and potentially open it back up again. this is dire. the funny thing is that if vancouver or torino were bidding again, they'd be a frontrunner.

The IOC is most of the those things, but at the same time, they're not stupid, either. They're not quite FIFA. If that were the case, then they woulda let Doha through for 2020 when there were also few bidders in that race.

I just don't see the logic of letting a non-starter of a bid through the process, just to "have their butts handed to them come election time", when their initial technical report card is basically going to be a big, fat 'F'. I think it would look very bad just to let such a debacle of a bid through than to have just a two-horse race (if Oslo ends up withdrawing). I don't think that's the IOC main problem right now.

When even Almaty looks good in comparison, that just shows you how dire this race has become. But that's the type of bed the IOC has made for themselves these days. So they just need to lay in it now, & watch out for the bed bugs.

With Krakow's most certain withdrawal now, this only makes the inclusion of Almaty more likely. Not Lviv.

With that said, Beijing still stands out from the remaining 2022 lot, unless Oslo still decides to ride this all the way to the end. Which if the Norwegians were to remain, this has their name written all over it now. Let's see if they continue with cold feet or not.

With Krakow's most certain withdrawal now, this only makes the inclusion of Almaty more likely. Not Lviv.

With that said, Beijing still stands out from the remaining 2022 lot, unless Oslo still decides to ride this all the way to the end. Which if the Norwegians were to remain, this has their name written all over it now. Let's see if they continue with cold feet or not.

It's not like Almaty was never going to get shortlisted...

I didn't see it very likely, especially with all the issues of Sochi, like you just mentioned a couple of posts ago. But now with Krakow virtually outta the way, the IOC Executive Board is likely to be inclined to include them since they'd be straddling the benchmark & pickings are now very slim.

Around the Rings Article :

Voters Reject Krakow 2022 Olympic Bid

05/26/14

4sftl2np.gdw.jpg

(ATR) Krakow is out of the 2022 Olympics race after failing to win the support of city residents in Sunday's referendum on the bid.

Polish media report that 70 percent of the Krakow’s population voted “Nie” to a proposal to pursue the quest to bring the 2022 Olympics to the city.

The turnout was 34 percent, with a minimum of 30 percent needed for the vote to be valid.

Poland’s second largest newspaper Gazeta Wyborcza is among news outlets reporting the referendum has killed Krakow’s bid.

A bid spokesman tells Around the Rings that official results are expected later this morning.

Krakow will now withdraw from the 2022 Olympic bidding contest.

The referendum result leaves only Almaty, Beijing, Lviv and Oslo left in the race, one of the weakest set of bidders for an Olympics in more than a decade.

Krakow’s exit is a significant blow for the IOC as it prepares to shortlist candidate cities for the 2022 Games, with two other bids in jeopardy.

Lviv 2022 is on the brink of departing the bid race because of the lack of governmental and financial support linked to the escalating conflict between Russia and Ukraine.

Oslo is struggling to win governmental support; one of the coalition partners decided two weeks ago to oppose the Norwegian city's Olympic quest, casting doubt over the bid's future.

The IOC Executive Board will hope to shortlist at least three cities when it meets in Lausanne in the first week of July.

Written by Mark Bisson.

I didn't see it very likely, especially with all the issues of Sochi, like you just mentioned a couple of posts ago. But now with Krakow virtually outta the way, the IOC Executive Board is likely to be inclined to include them since they'd be straddling the benchmark & pickings are now very slim.

Almaty is not straddling the benchmark. I understand you really don't like them. They're not my first choice either, but they ARE technically capable -- no question. They were always going to make the shortlist -- with or without Krakow.

• Like 3

Fine, whatever. That's all moot now anyway, since "we'll never know now", will we. Had 2022 turned out like the much stronger field like initially anticipated a couple of years ago - "the Winter version of 2012. An all-out European cat-fight" as I recall some on here dubbing it (& how ironically funny does that sound now) they wouldn't have made the cut, technically capable or not.

Fine, whatever. That's all moot now anyway, since "we'll never know now", will we. Had 2022 turned out like the much stronger field like initially anticipated a couple of years ago - "the Winter version of 2012. An all-out European cat-fight" as I recall some on here dubbing it (& how ironically funny does that sound now) they wouldn't have made the cut, technically capable or not.

Well "The Winter Version of 2012" died with Munich.