Kraków 2022

PaStKaz

It's only been 20 years since the IOC scheduled three Eurpeans games in a row. I don't think the IOC will pick an Asian host for 2022, but it's not unthinkable.

For fun, look back on the 2020 threads. See how many people were convinced they IOC wouldn't got for back to back games in East Asia. The IOC fooled them.

It's only been 20 years since the IOC scheduled three Eurpeans games in a row. I don't think the IOC will pick an Asian host for 2022, but it's not unthinkable.

For fun, look back on the 2020 threads. See how many people were convinced they IOC wouldn't got for back to back games in East Asia. The IOC fooled them.

That's a different matter in my opinion. Summer and Winter Olympics shouldn't clash. So PyeongChang 2018 had no affect on Tokyo 2020 in my opinion. But 2022 is affected by 2018, 2024 is affected by 2020.

The fact that we're even talking about Krakow having a shot to win this thing shows how dire the bidding for the Winter Olympics has become. If Oslo, Munich, and a Switzerland put forth bids, I think it would be debatable whether or not Krakow would even be shortlisted much less win. Same goes for Beijing. If Oslo drops out because of public support, the IOC is going to have to conduct some major damage control.

^^ Thats true. It is worth to mention that Krakow started their bid when Munich, Stockholm and Suiss were supposed to bid too. At the beggining no one believed in succes of Krakow bid, but now the door are a little bit opened. It would be a huge sin not to try put feet in those door ;-) Who can guarantee that in 2030 there wont be good German of Swedish bid?

^^ Thats true. It is worth to mention that Krakow started their bid when Munich, Stockholm and Suiss were supposed to bid too. At the beggining no one believed in succes of Krakow bid, but now the door are a little bit opened. It would be a huge sin not to try put feet in those door ;-) Who can guarantee that in 2030 there wont be good German of Swedish bid?

I'm pretty sure the door for Munich (as only realistic German candidate) is closed at least for a decade or more after the referendum disaster. And by the time it opens again, climate change might make WOG in Germany impossible anyway. 2022 would have been perfect timing...oh well...

I'm pretty sure the door for Munich (as only realistic German candidate) is closed at least for a decade or more after the referendum disaster. And by the time it opens again, climate change might make WOG in Germany impossible anyway. 2022 would have been perfect timing...oh well...

I would no so be sure about climate change, as sun give signs of another Maunder Minimum that might be coming which would most likely cause climate to go colder. Current solar maximum is very weak.

Meanwhile in Poland central political support for Krakow is growing. The head of the SLD (leftist group) annouced support of the bid. This is the third party supporting the idea of ​​the Olympic Games in Krakow. In total this gives 79% of the votes in the Polish parliament.

I find interesting video link in skyscrapercity forums (forums about city investments) showing current state of Kraków Arena and.... bid promotion event :)

http://krakow.pl/mktv/7161,3941,film,krakow_pl_odc_108.html

Kraków Arena starts at 5:45

Bid promotion event at 8:30

I kind of worried about logo.... in this video they using those logo less banners and i also notice it's exactly same font as those that promotion ad, i hope thats just placeholder.

I don't know. Almaty is starting to grow on me now, but Oslo has the edge.

Krakow, to me, is both the most attractive bid and, at this point, the favorite. Krakow, from all appearances, offers a reasonable and viable venue layout, an attractive and new locale, and a supportive host. There's no particular reason to question Krakow's reliability or ability to pull off the Games - one of the perceived strengths of Oslo. It has no glaring weaknesses aside, perhaps, from the technical question regarding the siting of alpine events across the border. However, even that can be played up as a strength of the bid - a sharing of a small portion of the Games with a nation not otherwise likely ever to host on its own.

The current vibe from Oslo, in contrast, is one of reluctance - an extension of offer to host, but only if the IOC "asks nicely." The bid otherwise seems to implicitly rest on the laurels of the successfull Lillehammer Games of '94, while, at the same time, cautioning that no one should expect Oslo to go all out like the country did then. The IOC and other stakeholders can surely live with such a bid, who will this excite when faced with an equally or more inviting alternative?

As to the rest, Almaty could one day host the Games - perhaps even 2022 if called upon. Right now, though, that's just potential. Proximity to the mountains is an obvious plus. However, the venue plan, such as known, isn't as well thought out as it needs to be (e.g., Medeo isn't practical as an Olympic venue) and other infrastructure improvement requirements could be substantial. More importantly, though, neither the IOC or its stakeholders are dying to return to Asia, let alone new frontier remote central asia, in a nation with a limited winter sports history, and a site that, rightly or wrongly, will force them to revisit and be defensive with respect to many of the issues they think they've got behind them after Sochi. Beijing is in the same situation as Almaty on many of these issues. While Beijing's reliability is less of a question, the excitement of a return to East Asia can't be strong. As to Lviv, I think the odds are less than even that they even submit an applicant file.

Krakow, a clear favorite.

• Like 1

Krakow, to me, is both the most attractive bid and, at this point, the favorite. Krakow, from all appearances, offers a reasonable and viable venue layout, an attractive and new locale, and a supportive host. There's no particular reason to question Krakow's reliability or ability to pull off the Games - one of the perceived strengths of Oslo. It has no glaring weaknesses aside, perhaps, from the technical question regarding the siting of alpine events across the border. However, even that can be played up as a strength of the bid - a sharing of a small portion of the Games with a nation not otherwise likely ever to host on its own.

The current vibe from Oslo, in contrast, is one of reluctance - an extension of offer to host, but only if the IOC "asks nicely." The bid otherwise seems to implicitly rest on the laurels of the successfull Lillehammer Games of '94, while, at the same time, cautioning that no one should expect Oslo to go all out like the country did then. The IOC and other stakeholders can surely live with such a bid, who will this excite when faced with an equally or more inviting alternative?

As to the rest, Almaty could one day host the Games - perhaps even 2022 if called upon. Right now, though, that's just potential. Proximity to the mountains is an obvious plus. However, the venue plan, such as known, isn't as well thought out as it needs to be (e.g., Medeo isn't practical as an Olympic venue) and other infrastructure improvement requirements could be substantial. More importantly, though, neither the IOC or its stakeholders are dying to return to Asia, let alone new frontier remote central asia, in a nation with a limited winter sports history, and a site that, rightly or wrongly, will force them to revisit and be defensive with respect to many of the issues they think they've got behind them after Sochi. Beijing is in the same situation as Almaty on many of these issues. While Beijing's reliability is less of a question, the excitement of a return to East Asia can't be strong. As to Lviv, I think the odds are less than even that they even submit an applicant file.

Krakow, a clear favorite.

I'm not arguing that Krakow is your preference, it's opinion, so there is no argument, but I wouldn't say Krakow is a clear favourite. Facts are Oslo is the clear favourite, Krakow 2nd and Beijing and Almaty can't be separated IMO. Lviv is out.

While Krakow does seem to have potential, calling it a "clear favorite" at this point is far from a given. What seems to be Oslo's main achilles heel is it's public support. But on a technical scale, Oslo's 2022 bid is the clear leader. When Tokyo started their 2020 bid, their citizenry support was lukewarm at best. But the Tokyo 2020 bid team managed to eventually turn that around. Who knows if the same can't happen here. And as long as a bid has decent support, it's still in the game. A bid having the highest support doesn't really equate to the eventual winner in most cases anyway. And while many Norwegians seem to be skeptical, senior IOC officials don't seem to be. With heavy pleading from Bach & Heiberg to stay in the 2022 race, is at least an indication that the IOC isn't all that gung-ho with the other alternatives. While Krakow may seem like an intriguing locale, they too, would have a lot to do. Something that even the Polish members here admit to.

I'm not arguing that Krakow is your preference, it's opinion, so there is no argument, but I wouldn't say Krakow is a clear favourite. Facts are Oslo is the clear favourite,

Probably should have been clearer as to what I meant in calling Krakow the favorite. I meant only that in my opinion/estimation, the IOC, in weighing the bids as currently understood, is more likely to award the Games to Krakow than any other applicant, including Oslo, for the reasons given. However, I do recognize that it remains the popular consensus that the Games are most likely to be awarded to Oslo.

Ok here is my honest opinion about this bid

I generlly worried about it. Initially and it still it feels very lossy, not very well glued, venues spreads out quite a bit even to different country, there also lot of voices in kraków against it (but that might be vocal minority) and when i watched debate of Jagna Marczułajtis-Walczak other guest (which was sceptic about it)in studio during Sochi covarage it look like full of PR then good disscussion, similar to our current ruling party style of talking which does not have very good reputation.... in general im also worry from political side might mess up something. We in Poland seen lot of BS from politics, not once :P

I myself, i'm divided. I kind of aggre with those who againts it, that we already in huge dept and olympics might be too much for us and drive us to Greek situation as it was with Athens 2004 and there problems, on other side im a huge fun of Olympics and i would love to see Olympics in our country and see how we would organize it and considering winters Olympics are only realistic option for us and fact how hard it is to have olympics makes worries that you might not see it in your life time. Actully when i come here you guys gived me hope about it saying that it got some "If not Oslo" winning chance :)

So i got mixed feeling about it.... but we will see how it goes, hopefully at least it gonna be better shot then Zakopane 2006

I think one of the squares on the bid book's cover includes logo, but it's to small to see it properly :)

4.jpg

Not enough pixels to see it zoom in, but it looks like blue is dominant color

While Krakow does seem to have potential, calling it a "clear favorite" at this point is far from a given. What seems to be Oslo's main achilles heel is it's public support. But on a technical scale, Oslo's 2022 bid is the clear leader. When Tokyo started their 2020 bid, their citizenry support was lukewarm at best. But the Tokyo 2020 bid team managed to eventually turn that around. Who knows if the same can't happen here. And as long as a bid has decent support, it's still in the game. A bid having the highest support doesn't really equate to the eventual winner in most cases anyway. And while many Norwegians seem to be skeptical, senior IOC officials don't seem to be. With heavy pleading from Bach & Heiberg to stay in the 2022 race, is at least an indication that the IOC isn't all that gung-ho with the other alternatives. While Krakow may seem like an intriguing locale, they too, would have a lot to do. Something that even the Polish members here admit to.

I guess it depends on what Oslo actually ends up proposing. The original plan was fair enough. However, with the recent speculation as to the movement of more events to the Lillehammer area, the bid seems less attractive than it can be and, I suspect, many IOC members expect it to be. Those expecting "OL-94 II" may be disapointed it they perceive this bid to be "OL-94 Lite." On technical merit, Olso does still have a head start, of sorts. But, that shouldn't matter too much so long as the IOC believes another applicant can deliver as promised. As to mixed public (citizen) support, I do think the IOC will expect that to come around if the Games are, in fact, awarded to Oslo. But, the IOC is also a bit fatigued with the militant "no Olympics" opposition it seems to face lately in much of the West. If opposition remains muted, even if relatively high as a percentage, that will help Oslo. If it's loud and vocal, that will weigh on opinion. Bach, et al., will, in any case, do what they can to keep and encourage an Oslo bid untl the end. They need this for several reasons, not the least of which is that other bids may not prove as reliable as they initially appear. However, I don't think that should be construed as more than an IOC consensus to ensure that a "safe" option remains on the table.

^The catch-22 here is, that you have many in the Olympic realm that the Winter Olympics "must go back to basics". And while yes, if there is a lot more events moved to Lillehammer, then that will dilute any Oslo 2022 attempt. But at the same time, the IOC has to show that they're willing to work with organizers in trying to keep things in check in order not to continue seeing other caliber potential hosts like Munich, Sweden & Switzerland not to run the other way cuz they see the Winter Olympics as not feasible anymore. Otherwise, the IOC will find themselves in an even bigger conundrum than they find themselves in now.

hopefully at least it gonna be better shot then Zakopane 2006

I would say so.