Kraków 2022

PaStKaz

Here's the hangup I see with Krakow. It's not like Poland lacks the mountains that meet the all-important vertical drop requirement. The IOC could and probably will accept Krakow to the shortlist but in the end, would they question why Poland wants to use a venue in another country when they can clearly hold it themselves?

On the other hand, if a Krakow bid is successful, then I think it opens the door for Quebec as the next Canadian city to host the WOGs using Whiteface Mountain at Lake Placid.

Krakow to Jasna - 175 km

Quebec City to Lake Placid - 415 km

Not gonna work. Canada has hosted 2 Winter Olympics without needing to use another country. Unlike Poland, aspiring to host for the first time, they have less latitude to use another country, particularly if that country has Olympic host aspirations of their own.

Krakow to Jasna - 175 km

Not gonna work. Canada has hosted 2 Winter Olympics without needing to use another country. Unlike Poland, aspiring to host for the first time, they have less latitude to use another country, particularly if that country has Olympic host aspirations of their own.

The other problem - perhaps the bigger problem - is that US and Canada have a much more "serious" border than Poland / Slovakia.

It's not like Poland lacks the mountains that meet the all-important vertical drop requirement.

Actually It is ;-) I'll try to clear it.

There are 4 diciplines of alpine skiing. 3 (super-G, slalom gigant and slalom) need shorter piste. And in Poland there are a lot of such a objects even with FIS homologation. Only downhill needs long ski run. FIS olympic homologation requirements for downhill are hard, and there is only one mountain in Poland which could met the requirements but after major expansion - It is Kasprowy Wierch. The slope is proper, distance etc. But this mountain is a part of Tatra National Park - such an important thing for Poles. it is like Yellowstone lake was the only one lake able to host olympic event in US, but it demands to fill up 10%of it.

Zakopane 2006 bid was scolded by IOC for including alpine skiing on Kasprowy Wierch. Firstly for ecological resons, secondly for unreliability (Ministry of eviroinment said not to allow any interferation in borders of Tatra National Park).

Krakow to Jasna - 175 km

If Quebec does bid for 2026, it will need to develop the off piste at Le Massif to 800 minimum. Just icrease the verical by a couple of dozen meters. The alternative is the existing slope increased by 30 or so meters.

Even better news for Krakow 2022. yes, it's a little early but can't be anything but helpful to the bid...

Poland Ranked Best for Business in East Europe and Central Asia

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-21/poland-ranked-best-for-business-in-east-europe-and-central-asia.html

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well, you posted it for a reason, so what did you expect. And all that tells me is their passion for ONE "summer" sport. Norway has a passion for all WINTER sports, which those sports also have many more relevant votes than just one for VB. But according to you, that would be irrelevant. Go figure.

What does staging ANOTHER Winter Olympics in Norway really do for winter sports or the Olympics in general? Does it give the Olympic idea any new dimension... even a new wrinkle... at all?? Nothing.

It's just going to be another medal-fest for one tiny country. That's all.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

If your argument in this thread is about how "passionate" the Polish are about one summer sport, then how can you deny the Norwegian's passion for ALL "Winter" sports. Poland only has gotten 14 medals at the Winter Olympics. Even South Korea has 3x's more. And Norway still trounces both of them combined.

And considering a low turn-out could be a factor with Sochi 2014 with everything going on, perhaps even more concern with turn-out with PyeongChang 2018, having a country that's truly passionate about winter sports could be that "wrinkle" by hosting them in an enthusiastic winter sport counter like Norway again, just like Japan gave that same type of save-haven for 2020 & the IOC pushed aside the new envelope again.

Besides, how many times in a row does the IOC need to go to new places, if according to you, repeat places don't give the Olympic idea any "new dimension". So does that mean from now on then that repeat, "medal-fest" countries should just forget about it now. Then you might as well kiss your Sactahreno dream goodbye from here on out.

. So does that mean from now on then that repeat, "medal-fest" countries should just forget about it now. Then you might as well kiss your Sactahreno dream goodbye from here on out.

What does going back to Norway really add to this thing called the Olympics??? N - O - T - H - I - N - G.

And yeah, maybe they shouldn't come back to the USA at all. After all, it only contributes the most $$$ to the whole party; has what? 312 million more people than Norway?? Even comparing a Norway re-run to a bid by any US city...is just so amateurish, isn't even worth expounding on. Sigh.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Hey, yeah. There's a winning argument that any future U.S. bid should focus on: "hey, IOC, we contribute so much to your expensive parties, that you need to finally give us the Olympic Games yet again".

Let's see how far that one would get us. Imagine that they would drop us faster than a hot potato argument like "Madrid 2020 makes the most sense IOC". Yeah, IDK why I bother with such pragmatism either.

Hey, yeah. There's a winning argument that any future U.S. bid should focus on: "hey, IOC, we contribute so much to your expensive parties, that you need to finally give us the Olympic Games yet again".

:rolleyes::rolleyes: U're really getting fenced in, aren't you? Norway is a homogenous country of only 5 million. The USA, as you well know -- I don't even know why I have to explain it to you - is a hybrid nation of immigrants right now, some 310 million strong. Take it from there...

:rolleyes::rolleyes: U're really getting fenced in, aren't you? Norway is a homogenous country of only 5 million. The USA, as you well know -- I don't even know why I have to explain it to you - is a hybrid nation of immigrants right now, some 310 million strong. Take it from there...

You cannot judge a countries chances by their amount of population. So what if there are only 5 Million? They are a Winter powerhouse, with existing venues (that need upgrading not rebuilt) and who are a safe option. The IOC doesn't always need new places. Sochi and PyeongChang were new places. 2022 is time for a traditional Host. Oslo to win.

Well, you posted it for a reason, so what did you expect. And all that tells me is their passion for ONE "summer" sport. Norway has a passion for all WINTER sports, which those sports also have many more relevant votes than just one for VB.

And how do you know the Winter federations' votes will all go to Norway?? Is Poland such a minor country that is has no friends? It's a country many centuries older than Norway. :blink:

1 of these days I would love for you to reveal to us the reason behind your undeniable passion for this Krakow bid. I get that you're convinced it's in the bag for them and you need everyone here to know about it, but this is what you're giving us in support of Poland? Is this news supposed to change our opinions on Poland? Yea, it's good for Poland that they get this recognition, but I don't think anyone is doubting Poland's passion for sport, especially after Euro 2012.

1 of these days I would love for you to reveal to us the reason behind your undeniable passion for this Krakow bid. I get that you're convinced it's in the bag for them and you need everyone here to know about it, but this is what you're giving us in support of Poland? Is this news supposed to change our opinions on Poland? Yea, it's good for Poland that they get this recognition, but I don't think anyone is doubting Poland's passion for sport, especially after Euro 2012.

Alright, so what's wrong with posting that? Everybody posts about their favorite bet, why should this be so unusual then? What? Things going Krakow's way too well?? Was it objectionable? Was it off-topic? :blink::blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Offtopic of offtopic but actually Norway is one of the most multicultural country in Europe. Immigrants are 12-13% of population.

Well, #1 - how many of that immigrant population is reflected in the ranks of Norwegian winter sports?

#2 - My comment was in comparison to the US population.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It might be nothing new to you baron, but Oslo 2022 is a completely different offering to 1952 and 1994, different foucs, different atmosphere. And even since 1994 Oslo is quite a different place, very dynamic, Europe's fasting growing capital city and Norway leads world rankings in wealth and well-being.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25722053

You might be dismissive of it but thankfully the rest of the world isn't so short sighted and close minded.

It might be nothing new to you baron, but Oslo 2022 is a completely different offering to 1952 and 1994, different foucs, different atmosphere. And even since 1994 Oslo is quite a different place, very dynamic, Europe's fasting growing capital city and Norway leads world rankings in wealth and well-being.

But it is still the same Norwegian people and culture who ALREADY hosted the party twice before -- one only 20 years ago. It's not like Norwegian culture all of a sudden became an entirely new Afro-Norwegian culture, is it?? And when have the new 2022 entrants hosted before?? NONE. So going by that "short-sighted and close-minded" affinity for the old standbys. the Olympics should NEVER have gone to Mexico, Montreal, Melbourne, Barcelona, Rio, Seoul, Sydney, etc., etc., because they can only be staged by the "original" countries in old Europe? And like, say. Krakow isn't even east of the Urals. It is still among the "old" countries of Europe. :rolleyes:

I don't need you to lecture me, Markun. Thanks but no thanks. <_<

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

But it is still the same Norwegian people and culture who ALREADY hosted the party twice before -- one only 20 years ago. It's not like Norwegian culture all of a sudden became an entirely new Afro-Norwegian culture, is it?? And when have the new 2022 entrants hosted before?? NONE. So going by that "short-sighted and close-minded" affinity for the old standbys. the Olympics should NEVER have gone to Mexico, Montreal, Melbourne, Barcelona, Rio, Seoul, Sydney, etc., etc., because they can only be staged by the "original" countries in old Europe? And like, say. Krakow isn't even east of the Urals. It is still among the "old" countries of Europe. :rolleyes:

I don't need you to lecture me, Markun. Thanks but no thanks. <_<

But as I stated before, Oslo is a safe option, and after the issues with a brand new city for the Olympic Movement like Sochi, they will want a traditional safe option, which out of the 5 Bidders, is Oslo.