Kraków 2022

PaStKaz

The IOC voters are fine with wannabe fascist dictators. As long as they are stable.

Yes, but also most of these dictators came from "bigger" countries with relevance and international/regional power (South Korea, Mexico, China, Russia). Hungary, on the other hand, is an small country with a dire economy and lack of factical power.

That may have been true in the past, and probably still is when it comes to calibers like China or Russia, but after all the uproar around Sochi (and Qatar's WC), I'd be surprised if the IOC at least (no hope for FIFA, I'm afraid) wouldn't become more cautious.

Besides, Hungary population-wise is about the same as Greece, with Budapest metro being even smaller than Athens I believe. Their economy is in a critical condition and we knowhow the Olympic "boost" helped Greece's economy in the long run.

That's all enough for me not to rate any Budapest bid highly in the next few bid cycles.

100% true. Also yes, Athens metro is larger in 1.5/1 in consideration that Budapest.

And let's not forget that 2016 Prague bid in the more democratic and peaceful Czech Republic. Budapest would be a perfect contender in the 70s./80s. but now, it seems unlikely.

Yes, but also most of these dictators came from "bigger" countries with relevance and international/regional power (South Korea, Mexico, China, Russia). Hungary, on the other hand, is an small country with a dire economy and lack of factical power.

Exactly. And out of those that have hosted, South Korea is the smallest & not nearly as prominent back then as it is today. But when you consider that their only rival for the '88 Summer Games was Nagoya, we most likely wouldn't have seen Seoul either had the IOC more credible options on the table.

If the JOC had bid with Osaka, or even Tokyo again, instead of Nagoya back then, it also could've been a different story. This is why bids from irrelevant places like Baku & Almaty also don't stand much of a chance, no matter how enamored some on here are with them. That is of course, if they are the only ones bidding at any given cycle. Then maybe.

• Like 1

Budapest the city & Hungary the country are both too small for the SOG now. The European Games are perfect for that kind of city, Budapest, Prague, Dublin, Lisbon, Lyon etc.

*obviously with Lyon it's only the city that would be too small for the Olympics. France would (& no doubt will eventually) be more than capable, but only Paris.

Budapest the city & Hungary the country are both too small for the SOG now. The European Games are perfect for that kind of city, Budapest, Prague, Dublin, Lisbon, Lyon etc.

*obviously with Lyon it's only the city that would be too small for the Olympics. France would (& no doubt will eventually) be more than capable, but only Paris.

I don't see how Lyon is too small.

In reality, France will bid for the SOGs with Paris. Lyon is a non-starter. But I don't think it's 'too small.'

I don't see how Lyon is too small.

In reality, France will bid for the SOGs with Paris. Lyon is a non-starter. But I don't think it's 'too small.'

The thing is though, Paris would be number one choice for France, and if for some reason France wanted the Summer Olympics so much but Paris didn't, then second choice IMHO would probably be Marseille.

If I can add something to this offtopic ;-)

About Budapest bid. Viktor Orban - prime minister of Hungary - is probably the most controversial politic in Europe now. Conflicted with EU, blamed for jeopardizing of free media, made huge budget deficit and accused EU of not helping him. The European Commission even launched legal proceedings against Hungary. IMHO Hungary is one step to pass the border of Argentina 2000's crisis. Look at Hungary in Standart and Poor's and Fitch ratings of financial reliability. it belongs to lowest in whole Europe. All what Hungary governement is doing (icluding thoughts about OG bid) is kind of populism job.

IMHO summer olympic games should be awarded to the biggest metropolies all over the world. Beijing, London, Rio, Tokio are good directions. Smaller citiies like Athens, Atlanta cant handle managing that huge bunch of sports venues after the games. Im afraid within few years IOC will choose Qatar or Quwait or Arabia. Not because of any prejudices... no, Im afraid of atmospere of OG there. I remember WTA tennis championships in Doha with 20 people on the audience.

And about European bids for WOG ;-) Guys, remember that in Europe arent only Alps ;-) Carpathian Mountains are the nest of winter sports of so many nations including Poland, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Slovakia, Romania and Hungary. Thats big part of Europe! Alps had 10 WOG, Scandinavian mountains - twice, and Carpathian none. And I really hope Krakow could be great ambassador of Carpathian and Slavic nations.

It seems Krakow has hired an outside consultancy to assist with bid preparation:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/winter-olympics/2022/1017679-krakow-hire-mclatchey-s-eks-to-gain-bidding-experience-in-2022-race

Will be interesting to see how this plays against Bach's call for bidders to develop their plans in-house.

I have to say, at the moment, the Krakow bid is capturing my imagination the most, due to the many interesting posts from our Polish GamesBids members.

Bach never forbid using externational agencies, he was just "suggested that bids should present their own visions and not rely on set models encouraged by the IOC and used by external consultants."

Using external consultants doesn't exlude using own visions of the bidding city.

BTW. "Oslo, Norway has already announced that its bid will not use consultants and instead rely on internal resources."

We all really know what that means, yeah? :)

@p85 or @other Polish members,

There are many hotels available.Are these too enough for your OG or you think you need to construct more? :)

Bach never forbid using externational agencies, he was just "suggested that bids should present their own visions and not rely on set models encouraged by the IOC and used by external consultants."Using external consultants doesn't exlude using own visions of the bidding city. BTW. "Oslo, Norway has already announced that its bid will not use consultants and instead rely on internal resources."We all really know what that means, yeah? :)

Besides, what IOC Prrsidents say and what the IOC votes for may be completely different things anyway, cue Rogge's attempts for more modest/downsized Games and then the Sochi decision...

I don't think Kraków has to worry about that.

It seems Krakow has hired an outside consultancy to assist with bid preparation:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/winter-olympics/2022/1017679-krakow-hire-mclatchey-s-eks-to-gain-bidding-experience-in-2022-race

Will be interesting to see how this plays against Bach's call for bidders to develop their plans in-house.

I have to say, at the moment, the Krakow bid is capturing my imagination the most, due to the many interesting posts from our Polish GamesBids members.

Good idea. It seems the Polish people behind the bid are really interesting in winning. Good luck!

In my personal opinion, Krakow could be hosts for the 2030 Winter Olympic Games. I still think that Stockholm/Are will get the 2022 Edition, but Krakow are showing promising signs now, so by time the 2030 Bid starts, they will be even stronger. 2026, will probably go to Usa, probably Denver. I think that they shouldn't bid with Salt Lake City, because they already hosted it in 2002, so they should give another city a chance. So, I recon 2022 = Stockholm/Are, Sweden, 2024 = Rome, Italy, 2026 = Denver, Usa, 2028 = Durban, South Africa and 2030 = Krakow, Poland. Just my opinion.

In my personal opinion, Krakow could be hosts for the 2030 Winter Olympic Games. I still think that Stockholm/Are will get the 2022 Edition, but Krakow are showing promising signs now, so by time the 2030 Bid starts, they will be even stronger. 2026, will probably go to Usa, probably Denver. I think that they shouldn't bid with Salt Lake City, because they already hosted it in 2002, so they should give another city a chance. So, I recon 2022 = Stockholm/Are, Sweden, 2024 = Rome, Italy, 2026 = Denver, Usa, 2028 = Durban, South Africa and 2030 = Krakow, Poland. Just my opinion.

Yea Baron has a point. One change throws the entire rest of the sequence off. As great as this sequence would be in my opinion, it's not going to happen, simply because things change.

Yea Baron has a point. One change throws the entire rest of the sequence off. As great as this sequence would be in my opinion, it's not going to happen, simply because things change.

That's what I said, it is a prediction, not an Official. If the cities I said, Bidded for the Respective Years I said, I recon that's the hosts. Like I said, its my opinion and a Prediction, not a Fact.

But we also shoot down predictions/conjecturing that don't come close to reality. ;)

My Predictions are reality. Stockholm/Are is one of the favourites of 2022. - Rome would be a Favourite for 2024 if they Bid - Usa are expected to Bid for 2026 - Durban could be the first African Host in 2028, and Krakow who are showing to be strong now, will be even stronger if they Bid for 2030.

Why would Rome be a favorite if they bid for 2024? I mean if they actually go for it and not bail out at the last minute with everything pretty much done (including supposed government support) as was in 2020.

If Rome does go the whole way for 2024, I expect it to of course become a candidate, but lose early in the voting round (unless of course there happens to be no real other credible candidates) It will be definitely punished by the IOC come voting due to it's failure to not live up to its bid promises for 2020. Particularly at a time when the IOC is desperate for bidders.

Had it only considered bidding, then that's different, but the NOC went ahead and it was at the last moment that the Italians pulled out. Why should the IOC be giving them any favors? Or would it be some sort of cunning deception to make everyone focus on a supposed "strong" Rome bid when the real winner ends up being someone else. Give the Italians false hopes and such.

Exactly because the IOC is increasingly fonding it difficult to attract suitable bidders (and not just the Bakus and Lvivs of this world), it would be very ill-advised to keep a grudge on Rome because 2020.

If Rome goes forward with a strong bid, the IOC will have to judge it by its merits, not because of a - very well-reasoned - last minute withdrawal four years earlier. Even more so if the field does not include South Africa, but Baku, Qatar etc.