Kraków 2022

PaStKaz

Kraków's campaign for the 2022 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games is distinctly Polish but with some events held across the Slovakian border for "topographical and geographical reasons," bid leader Jagna Marczułajtis-Walczak has claimed.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/winter-olympics/2022/1017294-exclusive-krakow-is-a-polish-bid-for-2022-olympics-with-some-events-in-slovakia-insists-leader

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever else you may say about Munich voters, the next 18 months on GB would've been much more boring if they'd said yes :lol:

Or maybe not. I remember when so many were saying that 'why should anyone else bothering bidding, when 2012 is going to Paris anyway'. Boy, how wrong they were, huh.

Now it's rather unlikely. But on the other hand, there are still no confirmed concepts for ice hockey venues. So maybe we will back to retractable roofs on Wisła and Cracovia stadiums. Or one (i hope only one) venue outside Kraków, in Katowice, Oświęciem, or Nowy Targ.

Now it's rather unlikely. But on the other hand, there are still no confirmed concepts for ice hockey venues. So maybe we will back to retractable roofs on Wisła and Cracovia stadiums. Or one (i hope only one) venue outside Kraków, in Katowice, Oświęciem, or Nowy Targ.

Good point. Wisla Krakow is the most likely to receive retractable roof.

Wouldn't Oświęciem be a rather controversial, or at least sensitive venue?

Coming from Germany myself, I would feel rather awkward about the idea of having Olympic competition(s) there. I mean, of course, there must be life there apart from the memorial, and it would certainly be very symbolic, but imagining, let's say the German ice hockey team facing the Polish one there might need some time to get used to.

Wouldn't Oświęciem be a rather controversial, or at least sensitive venue?

Coming from Germany myself, I would feel rather awkward about the idea of having Olympic competition(s) there. I mean, of course, there must be life there apart from the memorial, and it would certainly be very symbolic, but imagining, let's say the German ice hockey team facing the Polish one there might need some time to get used to.

Good Point. That would mix Sport with Politics which I totally disagree with. I Love sport and am interested in Politics but it shouldn't mix (COUGH COUGH FIFA)!

But Oświęcim is hometown of second most titled hockey team in polish league history. And there is arena which need renovation. I know that's very very symbolic place but there are some pragmatic reasons.

Thats totally right. Oswiecim is one of the biggest center of ice sports in Poland. Not only hockey, also figure skating. Renovated venue here could be used by sports clubs and residents. Dont connect Oswiecim only with Aushwitz. Its one of the biggest town in Malopolska region (40k residents), with lot of young people and their energy.

Also, imho it is valuable to mention that many sad things occured in Oswiecim between Poles and Germans, but we made here so many good steps in our history ex. Pope Benedict XVI visited Oswiecim in 2006. Im proud of fact how relations between Poles and Germans are changing and how we're both facing history nightmares.

//

BTW.

Im preparing infographics about Krakow bid. About venues variants, costs, distances etc. I'll post here in weekend.

• Like 1

Good Point. That would mix Sport with Politics which I totally disagree with. I Love sport and am interested in Politics but it shouldn't mix (COUGH COUGH FIFA)!

Then why are you even interested in the Olympics in the first place. The Olympics are the epitome of mixing sports with politics. Just the Parade of Nations alone, at the opening ceremonies, demonstrates how politicized the Olympic Games really are.

And as a matter of fact, that's a big part of the bigger picture of why I like the Olympic Games so much. If it weren't for a lot of the political drama at the Games themselves, they would really be "boring". One of my favorites was the whole 2002 pair figure skating fiasco with the Russians & the Canadians.

Then why are you even interested in the Olympics in the first place. The Olympics are the epitome of mixing sports with politics. Just the Parade of Nations alone, at the opening ceremonies, demonstrates how politicized the Olympic Games really are.

And as a matter of fact, that's a big part of the bigger picture of why I like the Olympic Games so much. If it weren't for a lot of the political drama at the Games themselves, they would really be "boring". One of my favorites was the whole 2002 pair figure skating fiasco with the Russians & the Canadians.

I never thought if it like that. Ok Mix Sport and Politics!

Exactly. If the IOC were "right" from the beginning, then they would have stripped Berlin of hosting rights when the Nazis came to power and prevented them from using the event for political gain.

@petrpetr. Very fine summarized info of Krakow and the country.All Polish people here on GB are really passionate about their bid's success!Are you going to IOC session and make a presentation? :D I think you can do it. And I'm interested in who(well known athletes) do you think will be appropriate to make the bid stronger? I only know some football players,so please tell me if you have any ideas.