Kraków 2022

PaStKaz

Curling/Speed skating in the same venue?

AFAIK it'll be one building: the bigger a part is permanent speed-skating venue, the other one is a smaller multipurpose venue that could be used later by students of Cracow University School of Physical Education.

And I'm interested in who(well known athletes) do you think will be appropriate to make the bid stronger? I only know some football players,so please tell me if you have any ideas.

There are different versions of this promotional advert you've seen. The whole advert is just directed to home, Polish market.

The athletes promoting the whole bid are:

- Justyna Kowalczyk (biathlon, 4 Olympic medals, I hope she'll get some more in Sochi),

- Adam Małysz (former ski-jumper, 4 olympic medals),

- Mariusz Czerkawski (Polish hockey player, who played in Sweden, Canada, and USA teams),

- Katarzyna Rogowiec (paraolympic cross-country skier, 3 Olympic medals).

• Like 2

Im happy you enjoy those graphics. I felt in love in Krakows bid, and Im sure I'll stay keen on it during whole bidding process.

Interesting infographic, but there were no Olympic Games in 1982. I think you mean 1972.

Totally right ;-) Sapporo 1972. I received also few suggestions from polish users. I'll upgrade it during weekend.

Are you going to IOC session and make a presentation? :D I think you can do it

Nope ;-) Im totally not connected with bid comitee. Just want to share my fascination of this project and say you some word about magnificent changes in Poland and Krakow since 1989.

And I'm interested in who(well known athletes) do you think will be appropriate to make the bid stronger? I only know some football players,so please tell me if you have any ideas.

Actually I think Polish footballers arent the best ambassadors of polish sport ;-)

There were two famous Poles during last years in winter sports. Adam Malysz (skijumper, 4 x World Cup, 4 x OG medals, 4 x World Champion) and Justyna Kowalczyk (cross-country, 4x World Cup, OG Champion + 3 another OG medals, 2 xWorld Champion, strongly connected with Krakow). Particularly Justyna has a lot of charisma and she is an PhD student of PhD. Krasicki - originator and 2nd person in Krakows bid. Im sure Krakow can count for their help (they appered in those ads I posted without any fee). Both Kowalczyk and Malysz influenced polish proffesional and amateur winter sport.

Ice hockey in Spodek and Oświęcim, opening ceremony in Wisła Stadium - so it's cofirmed?

Actually anything is confirmed and bid is crystalizing week by week. Ms. Marczulajtis-Walczak during press conference before xmas said that now Katowice and Oswiecim have hockey tournament. The most unsure thing is curling venue. There is also option that Oswiecim will held curling, and another venue in Krakow hockey, or curling will be in separated venue from AWF complex in Krakow. For sure no roof on Wisla and Cracovia stadiums and hockey here.

• Like 2

Oslo better not get complacent. Krakow really seem to know what they're doing, a new bit of Europe, plus some of that creativity that Bach wants (yes Stockholm is 'creative' but Krakow is creative with the binational thing AND practical which Stockholm sadly isn't). Plus high public support which the IOC might prefer over the Oslo bid which just got through the vote. I take back what I said the other day, this race is still on.

Oslo better not get complacent. Krakow really seem to know what they're doing, a new bit of Europe, plus some of that creativity that Bach wants (yes Stockholm is 'creative' but Krakow is creative with the binational thing AND practical which Stockholm sadly isn't). Plus high public support which the IOC might prefer over the Oslo bid which just got through the vote. I take back what I said the other day, this race is still on.

Nah. I think it may be too early still for Kraków, but they seem to have a very good idea/strategy/concept already which they could build on for, let's say, 2030 - assuming that Scandinavia gets 22 and 26 is either North America or Asia.

Zakapone-Poprad-Tatry has already tried previously. And it was not too early for Sarajevo, Nagano or Sochi.

Zakopane and Poprad already tried in an era where WOG had grown too big for such towns (hello Östersund), Kraków is a different concept therefore.

And we know what made Sochi win (also not on first try), there are suspicions what made Nagano win, and Sarajevo was in a completely different era too.

Will Wisla Stadium be expanded to the minimum 40,000 seats?

No official statements but IMHO not.

Wisla stadium was designed in 2002 as a 22 000 capacity stadium. Construction begun in 2004.

Then in 2007 Poland and Ukraine was awarded hosting of UEFA Euro 2012. Krakow realised that there is a chance that some matches will be there and redesigned stadium (during construction process). Now seats are placed everywhere and IMHO there is no option for expansion.

When in 2002 idea of bidding for Euro was born only 4 cities got into it. Warsaw, Gdansk, Wroclaw and Poznan. Krakow was asked about it, but refused offer cause it demanded spending money into bid. Then Polish/Ukraine bid get into final 3 with good result. Krakow and Chorzów (big stadium in Silesia) waked and joined the bid as a reserve cities.

In 2007 UEFA decided to give Poland and Ukraine tournament. Poland entered 4 main and 2 reserve cities (Ukraine dit it as well). In Uefa raport Krakow was the only one city in whole bid achieving A mark but still remain reserve city. Uefa didnt made selection, gave that task to countries and both Ukraine and Poland stayed with their first choice. The main fault of Krakow was unbelief into bid. Krakow was a host of barages draw.

Krakow and malopolska region are lossy of tournament in financial way. Central authorities cancelled many of investments here, and moved funds to 'euro-cities' (example fast road connection between Krakow and Warsaw, new airport terminal were cancelled).

Research after tournament said that 50% of tournament guests visited Krakow despite the city didnt hosted any match. Krakow was also a home-base for three national teams: Netherlands, England and Italy. During tournament Krakows fan zones was full of fun, and city lived the tournament as i never saw before.

On the other hand WIsla stadium standard is not comparable with Warsaw, Gdansk, Poznan, and Wroclaw stadiums. Thats typical footbal club-stadium, the other four are high-end masterpieces (hosting concerts, theatre, motorcross event as well as football matches).

And we know what made Sochi win (also not on first try), there are suspicions what made Nagano win, and Sarajevo was in a completely different era too.

Haven't you caught on yet on the convenience of double-standard arguments with this certain individual.

And Sarajevo was also only competing against repeat hoster Sapporo & newbie Gothenberg. And considering the vote tally, it looks like almost half of the IOC was still iffy with Sarajevo & willing to go to Sapporo again only 12 years later.

Haven't you caught on yet on the convenience of double-standard arguments with this certain individual.

And Sarajevo was also only competing against repeat hoster Sapporo & newbie Gothenberg. And considering the vote tally, it looks like almost half of the IOC was still iffy with Sarajevo & willing to go to Sapporo again only 12 years later.

Anything to argue pro-Kraków and anti-Scandinavia, I know...

Now that Munich is out of this, I think I can take a neutral position, so I don't really get why anyone (outside the bidding countries/cities) should get on the barricades pro/con certain bids at this stage especially, when we have very few concrete details.

No official statements but IMHO not.

Wisla stadium was designed in 2002 as a 22 000 capacity stadium. Construction begun in 2004.

Then in 2007 Poland and Ukraine was awarded hosting of UEFA Euro 2012. Krakow realised that there is a chance that some matches will be there and redesigned stadium (during construction process). Now seats are placed everywhere and IMHO there is no option for expansion.

The minimum is 40,000 for Ceremonies, but Turin had less then that so I think its okay if they bid with a smaller stadium.

The minimum is 40,000 for Ceremonies, but Turin had less then that so I think its okay if they bid with a smaller stadium.

Stadium Capacity Regulations have changed now though. Turin 2006 was nearly 8 years ago. Similar to Fifa World Cup is Minimum of 40,000 seats, but in 2010, the Royal Bafokeng Stadium in Rustenburg had a Capacity of around 38,000, but for the 2014 Fifa World Cup, the Smallest is the Arena Baixada in Curitiba, with a Capacity of around 41,000.

^^ I think that's the current plan, just put some temporary seats on the infield.

Is the 40,000-venue really an IOC-required minimum for ceremonies?

Torino 2006 used smaller stadium, Stockholm and Lviv are bidding with Tele2 Arena (~ 30,000) and Arena Lviv (34,915). I guess Oslo hasn't chosen the opening ceremony venue yet, but the proposed Ulleval Stadium is a 25,572 all-seater.

Even if Wisla Stadium would be rejected for some reason, there's still a backup plan for opening ceremony: Błonia Meadows. That outdoor area could easly accomodate 50,000 people (it packed more than 1,000,000 people during John Paul II mass in 1997 and about 2,500,000 in 2002, they were mostly standing places, though).

1024px-Krak%C3%B3w_-_B%C5%82onia_from_Ko

Vistula River Boulevard might be used, if all other plans didn't pan out:

JkkpeAc.png

Stadium Capacity Regulations have changed now though. Turin 2006 was nearly 8 years ago. Similar to Fifa World Cup is Minimum of 40,000 seats, but in 2010, the Royal Bafokeng Stadium in Rustenburg had a Capacity of around 38,000, but for the 2014 Fifa World Cup, the Smallest is the Arena Baixada in Curitiba, with a Capacity of around 41,000.

But Turin proposed Stadio Delle Alpi, the venue built for the 1990 World Cup as their ceremonies venue during the bid. At 70,000 seater capacity, with the athletics track so athletes can march around and the backdrop of the mountains.

The reason they chose Stadio Comunale Vittorio Pozzo (eventually) was simple. It was conveniently located downtown and offered a good opportunity to totally renovate the venue rather than spending needless millions in attempting to improve the sight lines of Delle Alpi. Not to mention the needless millions needed to bring it up to world class standard (in general of course, taking into account post Olympic use). Stadio Comunale was the ideal choice to spend such millions on, especially when the future (at the time and now concrete with the new Juventus Stadium built on it's site) of Delle Alpi was in doubt.

Edited by Lord David