125th IOC Session Bingo Final Results

Sir Rols

im1z.jpg

And thank god for that. Okay, no-one predicting three voting rounds is understandable - predicting a tie-breaker is a lucky dip.

But it would have been embarrassing if on a board of Olympic bid and politics fanatics, no-one got more than three out of five.

But the election of Bach gives us four members who top the pool on four points.

Congratulations Baron-PierreIV, FYI, Louis and Deawebo - you win the right to brag about being our Bid Brains for the next two years at least!

You know, I almost considered changing my picks towards the end of last week to Madrid win, Tokyo out, and Ser Miang Ng for pres. At the end decided to commit to what I'd done (and glad - at least I'm back to getting host predictions right after letting emotion rule over logic with the 2018-2022 WCs and the Pyeongchang votes).

It's always easy to see the obvious in hindsight, but none of the votes was as close as many (including myself) expected as the final run approached. Momentum-schmomentum!

And, typical, knew I'd get the figures up there wrong somewhere - I did it bleary eyed just as i got up from bed this morning. Poor old Desmond Chan is zero instead of one.

The majority was wrong though, all the predictions together said Madrid would win and that Istanbul would go first.

Most of those were on the final day, though, when all the Madrid boosters came out and fancied their chances. Up to then, Tokyo had a handy lead.

And in the "Who do you want to win, who do you think will win?" poll, Tokyo led clearly 41 to 23, with the following getting the host city right:

A tie-breaker shouldn't really be considered a full round becuz it is a sub-round. I mean even the total votes are rescrambled for it. It's really like an asterisk to a regular round. But only 2 posters above went for 1 round -- so it wouldn't have mattered.

yuh-huh, whatever you have to tell yourself. no one is giving you the clean sweep so, like madrid, you're going to have to get over it.

the only credit you can be given, beyond the simple ability to pick the bookie's known favorites (yawn), is that you correctly predicted that madrid would fall first, which was something of a tossup. so congratulations. you picked a couple clear favorites and won a 50/50 coin toss. astounding.

In all fairness, this IOC session went exactly as expected and as the pundits and media predicted. We hoped for some surprises and some drama and we didn't get it. Oh well.

In all fairness, I don't think it wasn't. How many times throughout the campaign was it constantly being touted that "it was too close too call & that it's anyone game". And the chants of "never underestimate the Spaniards". And even the pundits & the media switched from Istanbul, to Tokyo, to Madrid then slightly back to Tokyo, but still the race was being predicted as too close to call..

When the Sportaccord wrapped up in July, everyone was all talk about how "Madrid stole the show & just ACED their presentation". Then all the hysteria about the "Madrid momentum" starting taking off in many places. But it looks in the end, it meant hardly anything. I just think as usual, hindsight is 20/20. But I never really subscribed to any of that, hence why I was always chastised by the Spanish posters here. I think anyone who was really objective could see that this was either Tokyo's or Istanbul's. And if it wasn't for the protests & the escalation in Syria late in the Game, we'd be talking about Istanbul 2020 instead right now.

yuh-huh, whatever you have to tell yourself. no one is giving you the clean sweep so, like madrid, you're going to have to get over it.

the only credit you can be given, beyond the simple ability to pick the bookie's known favorites (yawn), is that you correctly predicted that madrid would fall first, which was something of a tossup. so congratulations. you picked a couple clear favorites and won a 50/50 coin toss. astounding.

blah-blah-blah as always...

In all fairness, I don't think it wasn't. How many times throughout the campaign was it constantly being touted that "it was too close too call & that it's anyone game". And the chants of "never underestimate the Spaniards". And even the pundits & the media switched from Istanbul, to Tokyo, to Madrid then slightly back to Tokyo, but still the race was being predicted as too close to call..

When the Sportaccord wrapped up in July, everyone was all talk about how "Madrid stole the show & just ACED their presentation". Then all the hysteria about the "Madrid momentum" starting taking off in many places. But it looks in the end, it meant hardly anything. I just think as usual, hindsight is 20/20. But I never really subscribed to any of that, hence why I was always chastised by the Spanish posters here. I think anyone who was really objective could see that this was either Tokyo's or Istanbul's. And if it wasn't for the protests & the escalation in Syria late in the Game, we'd be talking about Istanbul 2020 instead right now.

I think it was cast months and months ago when the ANOC and the OCA shifted their support behind Tokyo. Istanbul didn't even have many Muslim votes. Only the Qatari probably voted for Turkey.

Archived