Southeast Asia, Indian Subcontinent and the Caribbean

USAOlympicsFan

Those are some very different regions, whats the reason for bunching them together? If it was about regions that haven't yet had an Olympics (other than Africa which obviously has already seen a fair bit of discussion), then why not also include Central Asia and the Middle East?

Singapore is a very well off and developed city, but it obviously has space issues. There are plenty of other cities in Southeast Asia like Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, and Hanoi that will eventually host the Olympics in the far future.

South Asia really only has India as an option, unless you think Pakistan's political and regional headaches will be solved anytime soon. India has a lot of cities for bidding, but looking back on the Commonwealth Games it doesn't seem like India will be hosting the Olympics anytime soon. Delhi would be the first Indian city to bid I would think, but again not until the far future.

The Caribbean does not have a city large enough to host the Olympics.

Looking at underrepresented areas, I think that aside from South Africa which seems likely in the near future, Bangkok, Mumbai, Dubai, and Buenos Aires could eventually host, but I think we're looking at 2040 at the earliest. Who knows what will be happening in the world and in those regions by then.

No way will the Caribbean host.

The only realistic option in Southeast Asia would be Bangkok. And for the Asian Subcontinent only India. And the Caribbean really doesn't have a strong option unless we were to include Caracas, Venezuela right there on the Caribbean coast. But even that might be a stretch. Plus, it wouldn't be 'til quite a while after Rio, anyway.

Another thing that these regions don't have going for them is the weather during Games time. All are very hot, humid, rainy (monsoons), & the coastal locations in the middle of tropical storm/typhoon season. Can't see anything of them anytime soon. But if I were to bet, I'd say India within the next 20-30 years. By then, they should've developed enough & will more than likely be the most populated country in the world by that time, as well.

Those are some very different regions, whats the reason for bunching them together? If it was about regions that haven't yet had an Olympics (other than Africa which obviously has already seen a fair bit of discussion), then why not also include Central Asia and the Middle East?

Singapore is a very well off and developed city, but it obviously has space issues. There are plenty of other cities in Southeast Asia like Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, and Hanoi that will eventually host the Olympics in the far future.

South Asia really only has India as an option, unless you think Pakistan's political and regional headaches will be solved anytime soon. India has a lot of cities for bidding, but looking back on the Commonwealth Games it doesn't seem like India will be hosting the Olympics anytime soon. Delhi would be the first Indian city to bid I would think, but again not until the far future.

The Caribbean does not have a city large enough to host the Olympics.

No reason I just listed those three. I should have explained it better, I have seen lot of talk about Africa and some (to a lesser extent) about the Middle east but have not read much about the Subcontinent or Southeast Asia.

You make a good point about the Carribean.

No reason I just listed those three. I should have explained it better, I have seen lot of talk about Africa and some (to a lesser extent) about the Middle east but have not read much about the Subcontinent or Southeast Asia.

You make a good point about the Carribean.

The problem with the Middle East is that it's so corrupt right now. Africa is the only place the rings will go near the Subcontinent.

We had this conversation before, but it's interesting.

For Southeast Asia I agree only Bangkok is the only realistic candidate. Jakarta is densely populated and Kuala Lumpur doesn't have enough infrastructure like Bangkok has. I see Ho Chi Ming CIty before Hanoi for a Vietnamese bid, but it seems an strecht. If Korea or China don't have a future contender, maybe Thailand will be the next Asian host. For Singapur, for their particular conditions is unlikely - That was the primal reason they prefered the first YOG.

For Indian Subcontinent, India is the only country and Delhi could be the first option, But I don't think we see an Indian bid soon. The failure of the 2010 Commonwealth Games, the lack of Olympic history and public interest and the problems related to infrastructure and political inestability only add more obstacles.

For the Caribbean Games, forget about it. Even Caracas is unlikely. And the Colombian candidates are far away of the Caribbean.

For a Muslim candidate, currently we have only three candidates - Turkey, Morocco and Azerbaijan-.

I think Singapore is underestimated. The space issue I think isn't as cramped as most assume - it's a decent sized island with room to grow. Technically and logistically I'd put them way ahead of Bangkok. There's a lot of speculation about them going for the Commies, and if they do land the CWGs, they'd surely come into Olympic considerations. On the other hand, I really doubt they have any serious aspirations to go for the senior Olympics.

I have grave doubts about Hanoi's ability to handle the Asiad, much less think of them trying the Olympics. I think thoughts of Vietnam are a distant pipe dream.

Could a Country in one of these Regions (Southeast Asia, Indian Subcontinent and the Caribbean) host a Olympics in the future? What Would be the most likely city?

I have heard some say Singapore.

Southeast Asia and the Caribbean have one problem in common - weather. Not sure how you ever get around that (until the IOC is willing to move the timing of the games.) Many places in the Indian Subcontinent also have weather problems, not to mention all the other problems with India.

Singapore is a very developed country, although i'm not sure if it's size and the lack of medals of their olympic team compared to other nations will play a role. Bangkok would also have problems since it's also a city known for being overcrowded and I heard the 1998 Asian Games had some organization difficulties (they finished some venues days before the opening).

Kuala Lumpur could host them but it needs to work more on its infrastructure. As for India, after the trainwreck which were the 2010 CWG, just forget about it.

According to that internet thing, weather in Signapore is very consistent in August. High of 31C, 90% humidity, >50% chance of thunderstorms every single day. How do you schedule the Olympics in that?

The Olympics have only approached tropical latidues twice - in Mexico City (which has the altitude) and Rio (where it's winter).

Now it's impossible because of politic and economy, but theoretically Havana. Population of city over 2 million, great sport traditions... It would be on low border of capability but not impossible for me. On the other hand last time IOC choose very big metropolies.

According to that internet thing, weather in Signapore is very consistent in August. High of 31C, 90% humidity, >50% chance of thunderstorms every single day. How do you schedule the Olympics in that?

The Olympics have only approached tropical latidues twice - in Mexico City (which has the altitude) and Rio (where it's winter).

Youth Olympic Games was scheduled in August anyway.

Now it's impossible because of politic and economy, but theoretically Havana. Population of city over 2 million, great sport traditions... It would be on low border of capability but not impossible for me. On the other hand last time IOC choose very big metropolies.

Youth Olympic Games was scheduled in August anyway.

(Essentially) nobody care about the YOG. If events get moved, cancelled, played in horrible conditions etc.. nobody cares. Not the same with real games.

Now it's impossible because of politic and economy, but theoretically Havana. Population of city over 2 million, great sport traditions... It would be on low border of capability but not impossible for me.

Ooh, that would be fun when the country opens up to NA/Europe, but there's the threat of hurricanes from June til October. :(

Yeah, Singapore's always a sweatbox. Always find myself ducking between one air-conditioned shop to another. Ditto Bangkok. I agree, a big handicap.

Wasn't the Sydney 2000 Sumer Olympics in september because it rain too much in July?

Obivously the summer Olympics cant be to early or too late but they put at a time whenot not so misrable like June or September.

Not rain - if anything, July's usually a dry month. More the cold - it's the middle of our winter and one month we do expect it to be cold.

September got it just right for us - about the most consistently pleasant month of the year weather-wise.

Archived