2020 race is over. Who wins and who loses?

Tatsh

Emre, I'll be frank with you. If the IOC restores the visit of the IOC members (not just the Eval Committee), Istanbul is still a hard sell. Istanbul is too crowded. Things move too slowly. There really is NO vast metro system that will carry hordes of people which is (part of the reason) that London, Tokyo and Beijing were picked. I felt that there is very little room for quick movement of thousands of people (especially the official parties and spectators) in Istanbul. Now when I saw Ankara, I thought that logistically, that is a better city to put forward. It may be boring...but the physical needs of an Olympics will be handled very easily.

One tunnel under the Bosporus and one new bridge across it really ISN'T enough to answer the needs for those tightly packed two weeks.

thst what im saying, first infastucture investments den olympics. already 100 km metro built another 100 on the way

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thst what im saying, first infastucture investments den olympics. already 100 km metro built another 100 on the way

You should have a few grand avenues at least (like a Champs Elysees or a Las Ramblas). That main avenue I saw was just TOO small and over-crowded. And the city needs more parks alongside some major venues close to the old city -- not pushing everything up near the Olympic Stadium.

And a future Istanbul bid should forget that stadium just for Ceremonies. I've told you before -- it is NOT going to work logistically. Nice dream but impossible to carry off. I think more than a few IOC'ers saw thru that too. I don't know who Istanbul 2020 got for experts -- or if they even listened to their own consultants, but that is where I found Istanbul ill-advised.

Oh well, like Madrid, Istanbul should sit out for at least another 2 or 3 cycles -- see who else is running; and then maybe make another stab. Also, I hope the neighborhood will be less troubled by that time.

Loser: Me---I now have a 20 year losing streak when it comes to picking the summer games winner.

I didn't see the announcement as I was at a baseball game in Baltimore but I kept checking for updates on my phone and, frankly, I don't like that they announce the eliminated cities ahead of time. it becomes awfully transparent who is going to win when you are down to two cities and it takes something out of the announcement.

WINNER: Big-City Games - This result has halted, or at least paused, the until now seemingly unstoppable march of the new frontiers. China and Brazil weren't followed by Turkey, but Beijing and London are being followed by Rio and Tokyo. The big cities with big populations are stealing the show as far as the Summer Games are concerned. The revenues that can be promised, the full stadiums, fewer worries about unused stadiums etc. Does this mean we won't see Games like Barcelona or Athens in future; have the Games outgrown all but the biggest cities? What does this then do for Durban/South Africa?

LOSER: Turkey's Sporting Summer - this was the nation that, a year or so ago, was looking forward to (almost certainly!) hosting either the Olympics or the European Championships. It was inconceivable they'd get neither and some on this board were even speculating that it would be possible for them to host both! They've contrived to lose both instead...the Euros because of UEFA getting nervous about their Olympic aspirations and the match-fixing scandals, the Olympics because of domestic politics and a bid that, for all its excitement, wasn't as "new" as Rio. Maybe they got greedy.

WINNER: Big-City Games - This result has halted, or at least paused, the until now seemingly unstoppable march of the new frontiers. China and Brazil weren't followed by Turkey, but Beijing and London are being followed by Rio and Tokyo. The big cities with big populations are stealing the show as far as the Summer Games are concerned. The revenues that can be promised, the full stadiums, fewer worries about unused stadiums etc. Does this mean we won't see Games like Barcelona or Athens in future; have the Games outgrown all but the biggest cities? What does this then do for Durban/South Africa?

LOSER: Turkey's Sporting Summer - this was the nation that, a year or so ago, was looking forward to (almost certainly!) hosting either the Olympics or the European Championships. It was inconceivable they'd get neither and some on this board were even speculating that it would be possible for them to host both! They've contrived to lose both instead...the Euros because of UEFA getting nervous about their Olympic aspirations and the match-fixing scandals, the Olympics because of domestic politics and a bid that, for all its excitement, wasn't as "new" as Rio. Maybe they got greedy.

1. Won't affect Durban, even if they are a smallish city.

2. If I were Turkey, I'd immediately start blaming the IOC; Ya yellow-livered blowhards!! Ya wanted your own F*CKING GAmes....and u made us lose out on UEFA!! Damn ya!! And then put a fatwa on the new IOC president. :lol: :lol:

You're all wrong in assuming that France, and a potential Paris 2024 bid is on the side of the "winners". It may sound this way judging by the outcome of 2020, but...That will go absolutely nowhere.

Being French myself, I can tell you that the local support for an olympic bid is EXTREMELY low, and has fallen to an all-time low over the past years. There's still a huge interest for the games themselves (as tv audience ratings show), and olympism in general; that interest collapses when it turns to hosting the games.

No one on the French side wants to present or even start working on a 2024 bid, even among the officials, (ok, there may 1 or 2 exceptions among officials but they're a tiny minority), and I can assure you that France will not bid for 2024.

That said, huge congratulations to Japan, my support went to Istanbul and their moving presentation, but Tokyo was a 5-star bid.

It seems to be the big disconnect - everyone seems to be expecting a Paris 2024 bid... except the French. Paris 2024 just seems to be an article of faith no-one outside France wants to give up on.

Indeed.

The winners for me are Italy, US and Canada. Though it's still early to tell, 2024 should be a battle between Rome and North American cities, maybe also involving a South African city.

I would say it will be a little too early for Souh Africa to get it (even if Id love a South African victory, so new and refreshing), and I think a North-American bid will be preferred over Rome. Toronto, Chicago, San Francisco...Among other ones.

You're all wrong in assuming that France, and a potential Paris 2024 bid is on the side of the "winners". It may sound this way judging by the outcome of 2020, but...That will go absolutely nowhere.

Being French myself, I can tell you that the local support for an olympic bid is EXTREMELY low, and has fallen to an all-time low over the past years. There's still a huge interest for the games themselves (as tv audience ratings show), and olympism in general; that interest collapses when it turns to hosting the games.

No one on the French side wants to present or even start working on a 2024 bid, even among the officials, (ok, there may 1 or 2 exceptions among officials but they're a tiny minority), and I can assure you that France will not bid for 2024.

That said, huge congratulations to Japan, my support went to Istanbul and their moving presentation, but Tokyo was a 5-star bid.

Do we assume it's the scars of the 3 previous lost bids that makes the French so reluctant to bid again with Paris?

If not 2024, do you forsee any further Paris bids at some stage?

I don't really know to be honest, I guess the successive failures logically helped the local support plunge, yes. But it's not just about that, there's just no will to host the Games, I think the French officials are now comfortable dealing with IOC matters, and choosing hosts for the Games, and they don't want to bother investing time, energy, and money in a hazardous project.

The same state of mind prevails among the people, and also more surprinsigly: among the athletes, who generally think France should invest on better infrastructures rather than on a doomed bid (especially the swimmers, who all make statements about how they d like better pools and equipment).

Yesterday, interviewed after Tokyo's victory, several French officials said they were "not even considering" bidding. Besides, don't forget they are busy with the Euro 2018.

As far as I'm concerned, I would love some summer olympics in Toronto, because I live close to it and because I love it :)

As for further Paris bids, it all depends what the situation will be like in the future I guess, and that's impossible to know. Nothing should just be expected at the moment.

Sorry about it :lol:

But you can still come over for a vacation :P

At the same time, I think (and most officials seem to think the same way) an olympic bid is not even to be considered with a popular support that is so ridiculously low. Even lower than right after the defeated bids. And we know that is the n°1 condition for a bid, which makes sense; how could you claim gaining other people's support when your own population isn't even supporting you...

There are a lot of other excellent places that could host 2024, Durban, Toronto, San Francisco....And this time, if the US are chosen, I think the Games will go West . So places like SF could really well be picked in my eyes.

Sorry about it :lol:

But you can still come over for a vacation :P

At the same time, I think (and most officials seem to think the same way) an olympic bid is not even to be considered with a popular support that is so ridiculously low. Even lower than right after the defeated bids. And we know that is the n°1 condition for a bid, which makes sense; how could you claim gaining other people's support when your own population isn't even supporting you...

There are a lot of other excellent places that could host 2024, Durban, Toronto, San Francisco....And this time, if the US are chosen, I think the Games will go West . So places like SF could really well be picked in my eyes.

I'm coming this February and possibly this summer. Very excited! Also do you guys celebrate Mardi Gras or is that a Louisiana thing.

Nice post!

This - about big cities - are bad news for Baton Rouge, Tulsa and other medium cities that attract citizen posters to our threads...

It's just a Louisiana celebration. For Mardi Gras, the French just stay home and eat crepes :) . But you will find lots of other stuff to do...

Oh I know, but those Louisianians are always saying it's also done in France to the same degree as New Orleans. Eating Crepes sounds more fun and relaxing than catching beads.

It's interesting to read some of the French on here that there is just "no desire" to support or pursue a Games. They say that now. But look at how the Japanese turned their very low public support to a remarkable contrast in just a year's time. I'm sure once the ball got rolling on a Paris endeavor, it would eventually get bigger with time. So can't say that we're "wrong" just yet until the IOC deadline for the 2024 entries comes & goes & there's no Paris.

I think the Parisians are like New York now -- whatever. Having been burned also 3x by the IOC, they don't give a frack anymore about hosting the summer OGs.

Good point. Wonder if either will ever emerge for a bid again then, at least anytime soon. At least we still have the Italians!

It's interesting to read some of the French on here that there is just "no desire" to support or pursue a Games. They say that now. But look at how the Japanese turned their very low public support to a remarkable contrast in just a year's time. I'm sure once the ball got rolling on a Paris endeavor, it would eventually get bigger with time. So can't say that we're "wrong" just yet until the IOC deadline for the 2024 entries comes & goes & there's no Paris.

You're right about one thing, saying that Tokyo's victory is a good thing for a potential Paris bid in theory . For that, I can say that I was wrong to say you were wrong (!). I was just pointing out that in facts , the 125th IOC session hasn't contributed to make a will for Paris 2024 any stronger. Not even an inch. I was pointing that out by giving you just an insight of the situation here from the inside (I'm back in France now for holidays), with the local media, and officials reporting about it.

For the rest, you are right, no one knows what the future's gonna be made of. And isnt that what's exciting about life....

;)

Archived