2020 race is over. Who wins and who loses?

Tatsh

Tokyo has won the 2020 SOG, while Madrid and Istanbul lost again (and over again).

But these 3 cities are not the only winner and losers, in any of those two groups, there're from countries until characters that are affected for the decision of the 125th sesion. Let's see who/which can be.

winners

Shinzo Abe: His political image will improve for getting the SOG (and economic recovery of Japan).

USA & Canada: especially USA, because they have more opportunity to get the SOG

losers:

China: will have to wait long time before try to bid Shanghai and/or Harbin.

South Africa (and other new frontiers bids): It's clear that the IOC will wait how Rio 2016 will finalkize.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winners:

Europe -Especially France-: The prospects of another European city grow with this choice.

Losers:

USA/Canada: Lot of competition -Especially for countries like France, Italy or South Africa-

Winners:

Europe -Especially France-: The prospects of another European city grow with this choice

Shinzo Abe and his party: After years of political inestability between Japanese political blocs, this triumph can be an excellent force for his power recognition

Losers:

USA/Canada: Lot of competition -Especially for countries like France, Italy or South Africa-

Rajoy and Erdogan: Their prides were wounded.

Spain: If they want to compete again in 2024, sorry but they love the humillation.

winners

USA & Canada: especially USA, because they have more opportunity to get the SOG

How do you figure. Tokyo being elected just puts Europe into an even better position for 2024. Remember that CONI already announced that they intend to bid for 2024. And it's precisely why most of the North Americans here wanted Madrid to win today so their respective favorite cities could have a chance at 2024.

losers:

China: will have to wait long time before try to bid Shanghai and/or Harbin.

South Africa (and other new frontiers bids): It's clear that the IOC will wait how Rio 2016 will finalkize.

China yes, because of Japan. But South Africa? Not really, unless Rio 2016 is a complete disaster, which I doubt it will be. Remember the 2024 vote takes place in 2017, a full year after the Rio Games, so the IOC will see how those turn out first. And after "safe & more traditional" Tokyo 2020, the IOC could very well be ready to take another big dive in the pool of adventure. Not to mention, look at how many IOC presidential candidates have been talking about a potential African Olympics during their tenure.

losers:

I'm not sure about that one. I'm more inclined to put it in the positive column. Like they had with London, now they have a safe insurance policy host in their pocket and can be daring again next time.

For me:

Winners:

* I predict, probably, Thomas Bach - Asia's got their winnings from this session now, and his presidency chances have firmed.

Losers:

* The myth of the infallible Samaranch influence.

* The myth that frontrunners never win.

Winners:

*Paris (specially) or any European bid for 2024

* Munich 2022, they stated that if Tokyo win they will likelly bid (thus win)

Loosers:

*Madrid's dreams

*Almaty, if they had a little chance... Now they have 0 chance

*China, thank God

*South Africa, Baku, Doha

*Just a little the US, I have to say a Madrid victory ir even Istanbul could rule out European bids...

Not so looser:

*Istanbul, the will bid again and again and again... Till they get it

Winners:

The mega cities of Europe and North America...

Losers: The Emirates Nations, Eastern Europe/Russia and South Africa.

IOC needs the wealth of Europe and North America

Losers:

* The myth of the infallible Samaranch influence.

Samaranch influence only worked when he was president. Rogge pretty much ended his influence when he became the boss of the IOC.

Yeah, but father an son have both been given a lot of credit for madrid's two recent silver-winning bid performances and Modern pentathlon's continued survival.

Loser

* The notion that there can't be consecutive games in Asia

* "8" for Asia

* All GamesBids Bingo entrants, none of whom predicted a tie-break round.

.Loser

* The notion that there can't be consecutive games in Asia

Yeah, really. It was bound to happen sooner or later after Beijing 2000 almost did right after Nagano 1998. And PyeongChang 2010 narrowly missing out right after Beijing 2008.

Losers:

I think this one was more of wishful thinking than a "myth". I mean there was still at least Beijing 2008 & Vancouver 2010 as precedence.

Yeah, but father an son have both been given a lot of credit for madrid's two recent silver-winning bid performances and Modern pentathlon's continued survival.

Loser

* All GamesBids Bingo entrants, none of whom predicted a tie-break round.

:lol:

Oh and JAS on the executive board which is a much smaller group would have bigger influence as opposed to over 100+ IOC members.

Yeah, really. It was bound to happen sooner or later after Beijing 2000 almost did right after Nagano 1998. And PyeongChang 2010 narrowly missing out right after Beijing 2008.

Yeah, and beyond that, pretty much the whole oft-raised notion, that winter and summer rotations affect each other strongly.

WINNERS:

France, Germany, Italy - If they want 2024, Tokyo 2020 was the best possible outcome

Asia - Get to take centre stage in 2018 and 2020. Finally gets its back to back Games

Barcelona - Can bid for 2022 now.

LOSERS:

USA, Canada - If they want 2024, Tokyo 2020 was the worst possible outcome

Turkey - They lost their best chance in a while

Beyond that, I can't think of any other clear winners/losers.

Another clear-cut winner: the good people of GamesBids. This leaves 2024 open for a potentially exciting race, both in terms of number of overall bidders and number of new bidders/bidders that have taken a break in the past.

Fuggedabout 2024. It's DURBAN. Take my word for it. I guessed Madrid first out; guessed 26 votes first round; And the other cities (for 2024), unless they are stupid like Madrid, will probably be a little wiser with their money. Only suckers like Baku and Doha will probably bid with Durban -- and maybe the IOC won't even eliminate them just so it wont be a 1-city race.

Winners: Paris and perhaps Rome.

Losers: USA, Canada and possibly South Africa

When was the last time the IOC had 3 non consecutive European games?

Tokyo, Rio, London, Beijing, Athens, Sydney, Atlanta, Barcelona, Seoul, L.A, Moscow, Montreal, Munich, Mexico City, Tokyo, Rome, Melbourne, Helsinki, London.

Will 2024 follow the past or will it break the tradition?

I don't think USA or Canada could convince them enough to not return to Europe and follow the past. But Durban on the other hand.. We will have to wait!

Samaranch influence only worked when he was president. Rogge pretty much ended his influence when he became the boss of the IOC.

Not entirely. JAS always remained influential while he was still around. It was his influence that almost secured 2012 for Madrid (the city was never less than 2 or 3 votes behind London and Paris and even topped one of the ballots in the 2005 vote) and even managed to get it to top the 1st ballot in the 2009 vote for 2016!

We can see what a difference it has made to Madrid's subsequent attempts once he was no longer there to help them.

This has probably discussed somewhere before, but why Durban and not Cape Town? I think CT will have better odds!

Okay, my time to field this one.

Durban has the Moses Madhiba existing as an athletics/ceremonial stadium, Cape Town would need to build a new one. Many would consider it irresponsible for SA to have to make such duplicate investment. Durban also has the space for a sports precinct nearby.

Durban's climate is warmer in the IOC's mandated July-September timing window. CT is cold at that time.

Winners:

The mega cities of Europe and North America...

Losers: The Emirates Nations, Eastern Europe/Russia and South Africa.

IOC needs the wealth of Europe and North America

I would put it more that there needs to be a certain level of economic, political and social stability (over a period of decades) to be able to pull off a successful games. The workforce needs to be educated to a certain level, you have to be certain that the power / other infrastructure will be able to cope under the increased stress and world attention. The hospitality for the athletes / officials / media / foreign tourists needs to be upto standard (not necessarily 5* for everyone but of a certain quality that not everywhere has yet).

This doesn't mean that you have to be a G8 capital, but I think the fact that Tokyo nearly won in round 1 would suggest that this is more important than perhaps we realised before.

i think Istanbul also wins with this lost.

36 members of ıoc believe istanbul can make olympics, if the team is clever they try to finish some projects and infrastrcutes till 2017 and will back 24 stronger ever. marmaray, 3rd airport, 3rd brdige and highway under bosphorus will complete till tht time also new inonu stadium too. with adding some arenas to olympic village will drop the budget for 2024 and it will be a safe but exotic place to 24

Congratulations to Tokyo and Japan!! I know they will host an amazing games.

I give hopes for Istanbul and encorage them to continue biding!

And thanks to Madrid bid one more time for its great job. Maybe 2032; Who knows!!

and of course to all people that spend hours and hours posting here creating funny and exciting moments.

THANKS ALL! ;)

i think Istanbul also wins with this lost.

36 members of ıoc believe istanbul can make olympics, if the team is clever they try to finish some projects and infrastrcutes till 2017 and will back 24 stronger ever. marmaray, 3rd airport, 3rd brdige and highway under bosphorus will complete till tht time also new inonu stadium too. with adding some arenas to olympic village will drop the budget for 2024 and it will be a safe but exotic place to 24

Emre, I'll be frank with you. If the IOC restores the visit of the IOC members (not just the Eval Committee), Istanbul is still a hard sell. Istanbul is too crowded. Things move too slowly. There really is NO vast metro system that will carry hordes of people which is (part of the reason) that London, Tokyo and Beijing were picked. I felt that there is very little room for quick movement of thousands of people (especially the official parties and spectators) in Istanbul. Now when I saw Ankara, I thought that logistically, that is a better city to put forward. It may be boring...but the physical needs of an Olympics will be handled very easily.

One tunnel under the Bosporus and one new bridge across it really ISN'T enough to answer the needs for those tightly packed two weeks.

Archived