2020 Mascot?

Knowing Japan, they might go for something cartoony/SD, like Beijing and Vancouver did (I actually liked these mascots). But god forbids we get abominations like the Snowlets or those aliens from the 2002 WC (seriously, what they were thinking?)

Here are two ones made in Japan that I actually liked. Osamu Tezuka (considered the God of Manga who pretty much began the japanese animation as we know it ) designed the mascot for the 1985 Universiade in Kobe.

20080215_320015.jpgunicard2.jpg

For the Hiroshima 1994 Asian Games, we got a duo of cartoony doves designed by Susumu Matsushita (who designed some of the mascots used by a bunch of teams of their baseball league)

Athletics---Mascot-Hiroshima-1994_516621Basketball---Mascot-Hiroshima-1994_51662

For the 2007 IAAF Championships they went for this blue alien-like creature

toraffy.gif

I would like if they hire someone popular, like Studio Ghibli, to make the mascot. They would do a nice job.

That's Doraemon, the cosmic cat! Isn't he known in the US? It's a popular Japanese cartoon.

All we know of id Duffy the Disney Bear (I think he should be the mascot) and Anime.

Imagine the athletic outfits Disney could make. I'm actually surprised the Oriental Land Company and Disney did not sponsor Tokyo 2020.

Oooo has anyone watched that old soccer tv program, "Supercampeones"? OLIVER ATTON for mascot... :D

Actually in 2002 they did a remake of that anime because of the World Cup :lol:

There is also this weird show called Inazuma Eleven, which is pretty popular in Japan but very unrealistic XD.

That's Doraemon, the cosmic cat! Isn't he known in the US? It's a popular Japanese cartoon.

He's one of Japan most popular characters, kinda the equivalent to Mickey Mouse. He's also very popular in Spain and parts of Latin America.

They also used Astroboy as the mascot of the ill fated 2022 WC bid. :P

155702NC.jpg

He's one of Japan most popular characters, kinda the equivalent to Mickey Mouse. He's also very popular in Spain and parts of Latin America.

I assumed he was popular worlwide. I used to watch it as a child and currently my nephews watch it. All Spanish media covered the news when Doraemon was named Special ambassador for Tokyo's bid.

Actually it will be the mix of different popular characters. Doraemon was so happy to know Tokyo won the Olympics that just celebrated with Hello Kitty and got drunk at a karaoke bar. After the hangover, Hello Kitty felt dizzy and months later she gave birth a litter of two cats. One day they went to the beach, while Fukushima nuclear center couldn't contained all that radioactive water poured into the sea. The kittens were swimming 200km south from there and mutated into "Kittzilla (in japanese Kirijira) and Neko-mera". So then they got super powers to defend Tokyo and Japan against jealous nations like China, the two Koreas, Turkey and Spain to protect the Olympic and Paralympic and avoid the destruction of Tokyo 2020 olympic venues.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...