Sign in to follow this  
Citius Altius Fortius

125th Session - live chat

Not chuffed at all about Tokyo hosting. Think it will be a very efficient Games, but sterile and predictable one. Oh well... at least there's still Rio 2016 to look forward to.

I'm VERY tempted to agree with you on this - but I won't. I remember when London won 2012 I expected an eextremely British and formal affair. Granted I didn't really care for the Olympic bidding process like I do now - I was totally surprised by the direction the London Games took.

I'm going to work hard to get an open mind about Tokyo 2020 and give them a chance. Who knows - might even go in 2020. I'm not realistically going to 2016 - and I can't wait for 2024.

So Tokyo 2020 it is for me - who else is in?

History was made today, never has there been back-to-back Asian Winter/Summer host countries. 2024 could also likely make history by not electing a Euro host in more than two cycles.

USA, please sit out 2024, don't waste your energy! It is going to Europe or S. Africa in 2024, and then the loser will take 2028. Wait for 2032!!

Well, at least from the voting pattern it was really just Tokyo's from the start and the order of elimination was really no object.... like PyeongChang and Beijing. So, no real scandal from that voting box mishap.

europe's strongest contender vs. south africa's for 2024, i suppose?

north america should keep licking its wounds and fight the loser in 28.

So why are people saying Tokyo means no North American (United States) Games in 2024? The last Summer Olympics in the US were in 1996 and the last Winter Olympics in 2002. It's about time.

There has never been more than 12 years between Summer Games in Europe. I don't see that ending in 2024 unless it's for South Africa.

• Like 1

Lousy selection of cities this time around. Nagano is still fresh in my head. Would of liked to see a first time host country this time around. Here's hoping for a better selection of hosts next round.

I wouldn't be amazed if we don't get Europe till 2032. The balance of power is shitting, S Africa 24/N America 28 is very possible.

An Asian host hurts any Istanbul (half Asian) chances?

Europe has 2024 in hands! I would bet Paris, Rome or even Berlin. Don´t know if Istanbul will bid again, but the only other force for the battle would be South Africa for the "sentimental vote". USA must say goodbye to any hope.... go for 2028.

I supported Istanbul in my heart, but Tokyo was a safe alternate. There is a time for the IOC to throw the dice and gamble a bit, and a time to play safe. With the upcoming Games in Sochi, Rio and PC, the IOC took three gambles in a row. A fourth was just too much.

I hope Madrid has learned a lesson - still too soon after Barcelona 1992 for a country of Spain's size and economy to pull this off - and that they don't bid again for a long time. Even as time goes by, their numbers are dropping.

As for Istanbul, can't really predict what their future bid ambitions should be. Maybe 2024? Maybe hold off for a while? They've been bidding for 20 years, save for the 2016 cycle, and this is the closest they can get.

And for Tokyo...well, Japan will do a good job. But with PC 2018 and Tokyo 2020, Asian cities should have to wait 8-10 years to try again.

• Like 1

OW! That loss smarts. Means all the Madrid votes went to Tokyo, plus Istanbul lost votes.

No.

Istanbul started with 26 votes, Tokyo started with 42. Istanbul picked up 10 votes and Tokyo gained 18.

While we miss out on our first Middle Eastern Olympics - we do have a few firsts - the first Asian city to host TWICE - and the first time Asia has hosted BACK TO BACK - PC2018>TOKYO2020.

Surely this dashes China's aspirations for 2028 on the rocks? (I'm quietly confident they were, or still are, plotting a Shanghai bid for 2028).

No. The next China bid will be Guangzhou. Shanghai hasn't even hosted the Asian Games yet.

Let's give a chance for Tokyo. Yeah, Istanbul would be fresh and new, but Tokyo can be exciting too

So why are people saying Tokyo means no North American (United States) Games in 2024? The last Summer Olympics in the US were in 1996 and the last Winter Olympics in 2002. It's about time.

Because now we're looking at 2 straight Summer Olympics outside of Europe. And Africa is still looming on the horizon. In their eyes, North America can wait

USA, please sit out 2024, don't waste your energy! It is going to Europe or S. Africa in 2024, and then the loser will take 2028. Wait for 2032!!

Agreed. Unless the USOC comes up with something really really good (which I don't think they will), it might be best to save their energy

So, there never was any competition after all, Tokyo had it in the bag after the first ballot. Very anticlimactic finish, anyway this means that Europe is almost certain to get 2024, unless South Africa bids. But against a strong European opposition even they might lose now. In any case, North America need not apply.

OW! That loss smarts. Means all the Madrid votes went to Tokyo, plus Istanbul lost votes.

No. Don't count the tie-breaker. Istanbul actually got 12 more votes in the final round. Istanbul is really a hard place to stage something as large as an Olympics. And a lot of the stuff will happen in the outlying suburbs of the city They should've just gone for Euro 2020. Or can they stilll gof for that. And enuf with those stupid headscarves in an int'l forum. It just spells the death of one's chances in an int'l competition with those head-towels. They cause your brain NOT to think, ladies!!

Pity for Istanbul. They totally deserved it. As I said, blame it on Syria. Tokyo will be a good host, no doubt. Just wont be a fresh and exciting one.

I agree. But by that time, it would be hoped that the Syrian crisis would be long over. I also do agree the Turkish government's heavy-handed attack of the protests worked against it. Tokyo's non-threatening. Wasn't Pyongchang's successful third-time bidding going to work against Tokyo. For all the electronic advances and organization we will surely see from Tokyo with their new Olympics, it won't be as intriguing as a European-Asian host city one hosting it.