125th Session - live chat

Pound apparently doesn't have too many friends in the IOC, does he? ;)

However, somehow it's sad to see Rogge doing his final duties as IOC President. He presided over six Olympic Games and six host city elections, and thus that voice with that funny accent had become such a familiar one over the years. Will miss the old Belgian chap! ;)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, somehow it's sad to see Rogge doing his final duties as IOC President. He presided over six Olympic Games and six host city elections, and thus that voice with that funny accent had become such a familiar one over the years. Will miss the old Belgian chap! ;)

true, we will miss him...

Pound apparently doesn't have too many friends in the IOC, does he? ;)

It was 41 to 40, he still has enough. I think it is good for the Americans.

Well, no big surprise. Bach was the only one who seemed the most competent for me and capable of carrying on the good presidency of the now former boss of the IOC Rogge. I'm going to miss him, though, but i'm sure that with Bach the Olympic Movement will be stronger than ever.

After 10 years it will be weird to not see Rogge saying "I have the honor to ask Vladimir Putin to declare open the XXII Olympic Winter Games"

"Much of the pre-election talk among the members has been about the power of Sheik Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah, the Kuwaiti who heads the Association of National Olympic Committees.

The sheik was a key backer of Bach. With his influence in Asia and among the national Olympic committees, the Kuwaiti can deliver a large number of votes. He was seen as playing a key role in Tokyo's victory, even helping Istanbul get to the second round of voting to keep Madrid out of the final."

Source:http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=431545

I think this sheik's "power" is a little over-rated. The more popular choices easily won. At most, he may deliver 5 votes perhaps--but then those are the predictable Arab votes. And I doubt he got them to vote for Tokyo rather than Istanbul -- not unless he doesn't like Erdogan and/or the Saudis told him to screw Istanbul.

Well, we won't have to wait long for Bach to perform his first duties - announcing the winner of GameBids' next logo comp!

if this were 2003, and those pictures appeared on the american collegiate website "hot or not" i'm afraid i would have to give mr. bach a resounding vote of "not hot," although he would get points for fencing attire, windswept sex hair, and strategically placed epee.

if this were 2003, and those pictures appeared on the american collegiate website "hot or not" i'm afraid i would have to give mr. bach a resounding vote of "not hot," although he would get points for fencing attire, windswept sex hair, and strategically placed epee.

You're making His Excellency blush.

articlesthomas_bach_ioc_11092013_600_405

Anita's win is good for the US just as Pound's loss is disappointing for Canada. It's a bit unnerving to me that it was so close.

I am not that disappointed. I think the closests Canada will come to the Summer Games is one hosted in the USA in the next 50 years.

I am not that disappointed. I think the closests Canada will come to the Summer Games is one hosted in the USA in the next 50 years.

I would've been very worried if Anita hadn't made it onto the EB. It would have left me questioning the IOC's attitude to the US. As it is, her one vote margin of victory isn't exactly reassuring.

As for Pound, I like him. Glad to hear you're not bothered by the result. I just meant that if a Canadian Summer bid is in the works, representation on the EB would be advantageous.

Archived