125th Session - live chat

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly the IOC did the right thing bringing back wrestling and they should have dropped a sport (like MP) from the beginning because it affected squash or basebll from getting onto the program.

Agreed. I also thing they should review disciplines and events, not just sports. There are some events the IOC could easily drop. I also think a pure event cap isn't necessarily the best way to look at it - you have some events (like synchro diving and mixed doubles tennis) that require virtually no additional athletes or venues, its not really fair to compare them with events like whitewater canoeing.

Yup this is what I meant.

Imo I am happy, because 6 women's weight classes = better chances for Canada to do well :D

Forget about Canada and think about how the 2020 host must feel about this :P

Agreed. I also thing they should review disciplines and events, not just sports. There are some events the IOC could easily drop. I also think a pure event cap isn't necessarily the best way to look at it - you have some events (like synchro diving and mixed doubles tennis) that require virtually no additional athletes or venues, its not really fair to compare them with events like whitewater canoeing.

I totally agree here are my suggestions:

-Remove Synchronized swimming = 104 athletes, reallocate 52 spots to women's water polo to get 12 teams in that sport (52 additional quotas)

-Remove Rhythmic gymnastics = 96 athletes

-Remove canoe slalom = 77 athletes

-Reduce men's football to 12 teams = 72 athletes (and brings all team sports to 12 teams)

-Remove field hockey (it was the last ranked team sport on the IOC's list) = 192 athletes

= 489 additional athletes.

The only reason I'm not keen on getting rid of Rythmic Gymnastic is that it makes up for women's artistic gymnastic having two fewer events than men's artistic gymnastic. If they fixed that I wouldn't mind seeing Rhythmic get the axe. Plus I'm personally partial to some of the events you mentioned (Field Hockey and Slalom) :P

What an absolute joke. A complete waste of a process that was supposed to bring something fresh to the Olympic program. Instead, we're left with no new sports being added and the IOC looking even dumber then before. This is truly an organization that lacks any sort of common sense.

What is really stupid about this is there was no reason, other than to block baseball/softball and/or squash, to drop wrestling in the first place. Popular with the fans, wide appeal to multiple nations, great variety of talent AND they just added women's disciplines.

If a sport was going to go that was beyond saving or at least probationary, it should have been boxing. Then at least we could have an honest debate about the problems with the sport and have given something new a chance.

Hockey and Canoe Slalom are very popular in central Europe - I cant imagine Olympics without these two sports

I agree with you. Especially considering canoe slalom is a less traditional, "action/youth drawing" sport which the IOC seems keen on adding to the games (BMX, 3on3 Basketball possibly). As for field hockey, I can't see the Olympics without it as it is very popular in Europe.

If there is one positive that came out of this whole debacle is that it gave wrestling a kick in the ass to start innovating their sport to stay relevant.

Hockey and Canoe Slalom are very popular in central Europe - I cant imagine Olympics without these two sports

Idk Field hockey was last in team sports, and canoe slalom was on the bloc back in 2005, if they need refreshments these two would likely go.

Eventing also but another discipline might replace it.

Sports like badminton and table tennis which really haven't grown should also go.

I like taekwondo's system (16 per weight category) and if they managed to accomplish that in judo and wrestling then quota spots could be saved.

If there is one positive that came out of this whole debacle is that it gave wrestling a kick in the ass to start innovating their sport to stay relevant.

That was probably the goal lol

The only reason I'm not keen on getting rid of Rythmic Gymnastic is that it makes up for women's artistic gymnastic having two fewer events than men's artistic gymnastic. If they fixed that I wouldn't mind seeing Rhythmic get the axe. Plus I'm personally partial to some of the events you mentioned (Field Hockey and Slalom) :P

Introducing two new events in artistic for the women would be quota neutral, so that is something the FIG should study. If it goes I think trampoline would be axed too, but it has only 32 athletes, so i would keep imo.

Well that shouldn't have been the goal. The goal was to evaluate the Olympic program and revamp it if needed, which the IOC failed to do.

Ikr. Rogge did say that they are going to open a study into disciplines so maybe we will be saying changes in 4 years time.

Ikr. Rogge did say that they are going to open a study into disciplines so maybe we will be saying changes in 4 years time.

Hopefully. If the IOC had more people who operated based on your logic and the proposal which you just posted and more on common sense, and less on personal agendas, this would be a much better run organization.

Hopefully. If the IOC had more people who operated based on your logic and the proposal which you just posted and more on common sense, and less on personal agendas, this would be a much better run organization.

Maybe don't have people that are heavily involved in Modern Pentathlon on the EB next time then...

Maybe don't have people that are heavily involved in Modern Pentathlon on the EB next time then...

Honestly, I don't find MP all that bad. The real joke is synchro swimming, where the medalists are essentially predetermined before the event begins. Also, there is so much debate about gender equality, but synchro and rythmic gymnastics set a double standard. Both sports need to go in my opinion, and more women's events should be added in artistic gymnastics.

Archived