125th Session - live chat

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, there never was any competition after all, Tokyo had it in the bag after the first ballot. Very anticlimactic finish, anyway this means that Europe is almost certain to get 2024, unless South Africa bids. But against a strong European opposition even they might lose now. In any case, North America need not apply.

Well, all Durban needs is a sacrifical lamb for 2024. Why do you think they had DURBAN up there for the test vote? Ahem... that was as strong a message as any!!

I'm VERY tempted to agree with you on this - but I won't. I remember when London won 2012 I expected an eextremely British and formal affair. Granted I didn't really care for the Olympic bidding process like I do now - I was totally surprised by the direction the London Games took.

I'm going to work hard to get an open mind about Tokyo 2020 and give them a chance. Who knows - might even go in 2020. I'm not realistically going to 2016 - and I can't wait for 2024.

So Tokyo 2020 it is for me - who else is in?

At least the Brits has the humour, charm and ingenuity ingrained in their culture which came out very well in the Games.

My impression of Japanese is serious, reserved, overtly earnest and competitive. Maybe their wacky and fun side will come out, but in a very Asian conservative way I think. Somehow imagine Singapore hosting the Games. It will be very similar vibe, probably like Beijing 2008 too.

No. Don't count the tie-breaker. Istanbul actually got 12 more votes in the final round. Istanbul is really a hard place to stage something as large as an Olympics. And a lot of the stuff will happen in the outlying suburbs of the city They should've just gone for Euro 2020. Or can they stilll gof for that. And enuf with those stupid headscarves in an int'l forum. It just spells the death of one's chances in an int'l competition with those head-towels. They cause your brain NOT to think, ladies!!

I think, I saw one of those ladies, is the wife of the PM.

And I really hope to see NYC bids again in 2024. That will be one amazing Games to look forward to if it's in NYC. Otherwise, 2024 should go to South Africa. Or Asia again provided it's a completely different region eg. Malaysia/ Thailand/ India.

I think the USOC should bid for 2024 for the precise reason of the possibility that they will NOT win. It will show the IOC that the USA is serious about the Games, serious about sharing experiences and knowledge and is not just going to waltz into a bid process expecting to win. It will also allow the USA pre-applicant pool to grow between 2024 and 2028 and give the possibility to change the city. It's not a wasted effort to have repeat bids. Tokyo, PyeongChang and Rio have all won learning from their previous experience.

if paris DOESN'T bid, as has been suggested by those with a finger on the french political scene, i suppose there would be worse things than the US wasting its money going after rome and SA.

honestly, i wish we could just pick a city and stick with it. NY, chicago, DC. we have no vision like the brazilians or the japanese. the "well, who wants the shot in the dark this time?" strategy has not proven successful.

And I really hope to see NYC bids again in 2024. That will be one amazing Games to look forward to if it's in NYC. Otherwise, 2024 should go to South Africa. Or Asia again provided it's a completely different region eg. Malaysia/ Thailand/ India.

I'd love to see an Olympics in New York. Can't see it happening for 2024

Archived