125th Session - live chat

Just a side track. Guangzhou is considering to bid for 2024. if Tokyo wins, then GZ will not bid. Otherwise, it will be possible to see GZ's presentation 4 years later. (But most GZ citizens dont support this idea.....)

But their microphones in the venue also had problem.

Buenos Aires, Argentina...

they are good on bad events... I told you guys

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The government wants it. The people don't. GZ had the 2010 Asian games and what we learned is that hosting a game means our normal life will be disturbed for years....

Unfortunately responsibility isn't the priority when selecting host cities, look at Sochi '14 and Rio '16.

Does the IOC love "persistence", though. Beijing only tried twice. And the first time, they only lost by a measly two votes. Same with PyeongChang. They nearly snagged the 2010 winter Games. They only needed, essentially a couple of more votes there too. Madrid in their last two attempts hasn't come close to that.

What Beijing & PyeongChang had/have what Madrid doesn't is that big compelling factor. Beijing was/is the capital of 1/5 of humanity. PyeongChang was/is the first opportunity to expand the winter Games to mainland Asia for the first time. What does Madrid have? "The only major European capital that's hasn't had the chance to host"? If Munich's "first city to ever host the summer & winter Games" wasn't appealing, I don't see how the only Euro capital thing is either.

Well, even if it was by a larger vote margin, Madrid did finish second to Rio last time, so there is that. You can also argue a Catalan vs. Castillian Spanish Olympics in terms of cultural differences, meaning a "different" Spain on this go around.

Am I straw grasping? Yeah, pretty much. As I have stated here and elsewhere, I do not really have a dog in the hunt. All three bids have issues, possibly serious ones. Any of the above will gather a shrug and an 'ok then' from me. Truth be told, I'm kind of looking ahead to Tuesday and the IOC Presidental vote, mainly due to potential impact on 2022 and a race where I do have a favorite, pending referendum votes in Baveria.

I couldn't watch Istanbul's presentation and the stream stopped working during Madrid's so I can't really give an opinion comparing the three candidates. From what I'm reading, none of them has been anything special.

It seems I won't be able to comment the voting and the annoucement here until tomorrow, so good luck to all! The die is cast. May the best win!

michael payne def. backs istanbul... here is his last twits

Tweetler
  1. #2020olympic race - lunch & for first time in living memory, none of the great experts willing to call it. & if all 3 tie in first round?!

2. #IOC microphones at #2020olympic debate not working to allow members to ask questions. Clever IOC plan to prevent cities from being grilled?

Based on the presentations - I have a growing feeling now that Istanbul may (MAY) have come full circle and might just grab this one.

All three smacked of apathy - but Istanbul's presentation provided the most pointed moment so far - when it mentioned Pierre de Courbutin, and taking the Olympic Games to new places.

I think if the IOC is willing to take the chance - Istanbul is the winning ticket. If not, then logically Tokyo is the one to count on - and I completely understand why. It is a bid that has shades of London 2012.

surprisingly, i haven't seen him in many years.

I'm not. There was some remarkably anti-Turkish sentiment around here for years and finally he had enough and left.

As for the voting; 95 votes, Princess Anne will probably not vote, so 94. Need 48 to win.

Archived