125th Session - live chat

Come to think of it. They didn't ask about the Turkish protests or the escalation with their neighbor to the east either. But they asked about Fukushima. Perhaps they really want reassurances from the bid they really know would be the best pair of hands.

Thats why they didnt ask about the economy but about other issues such as doping. Btw, they should have asked what Turkey's plans are about that too

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will we know the city eliminated in the 1st voting round before the host city announcemen?.[/quote

They did for 2016. But unless a city gets the majority in the first round, like for 2018 (but is unlikely in this close race) then we won't know which of the three got it until Rogge opens that envelope.

Bit disappointed too with Madrid's presentation. Actually disappointed with the presentations of the three cities. I'm surprised to see no questions about the economy for Madrid, seems like they've hammered down very well that point. The doping and Operacion Puerto questions were obviously tough, but they seemed to navigate their answer quite well. Anyway, tough question round for the three cities, and my perception is that Madrid maybe gave the best answers or were better prepared for the questions.

Prince Felipe's speech was the best of the day, that I have no doubt, although it surprised me that the talked so much about Barcelona.

My feel is that the presentations reassure the general perception, with Madrid and Tokyo in the final round. I don't think they will be a game changer.

You should read what the real situation of the Spanish economy is. Maybe you dont know that Spain contributed with 40 billion euros to the rescues of the Ireland/Portugal/Greece economies.

I have been reading what the real situation is. We've had this discussion before. But it doesn't bode well when so many youth in your country are leaving in droves to find better opportunities elsewhere Bcuz of unemployment at a staggering nearing 30%.

Bit disappointed too with Madrid's presentation. Actually disappointed with the presentations of the three cities. I'm surprised to see no questions about the economy for Madrid, seems like they've hammered down very well that point. The doping and Operacion Puerto questions were obviously tough, but they seemed to navigate their answer quite well. Anyway, tough question round for the three cities, and my perception is that Madrid maybe gave the best answers or were better prepared for the questions.

Prince Felipe's speech was the best of the day, that I have no doubt, although it surprised me that the talked so much about Barcelona.

My feel is that the presentations reassure the general perception, with Madrid and Tokyo in the final round. I don't think they will be a game changer.

Although I'm surprised about Barcelona popping up in the final speech, a fact is that trying to hide it would have been like trying not to see the elephant in the room. Maybe it's a quite smart move to normalize it.

I am from The Netherlands. I am a tolerant person who advocates for tolerant games in a city that is not prone to instability. Having said that, Istanbul would perhaps not be a good choice.

But my gut feeling says that Istanbul will win. Why? Realistically all three candidate cities can organize the games at this stage. But during the very final voting procedure, emotions will be very decisive for the final outcome. And I do think Istanbul has the best chance to win it then. Why?

--> First Olympics in a predominantly muslim country = more sympathy from IOC

--> First Olympics on the border of two continents: Europe and Asia = bridging feeling

--> First Olympics in Turkey ever = sympathy and willingness to let 'them' have it

--> Istanbul tried it three times in a row (!!) = trying to get the Games in 2004, 2008 and 2012

Tokyo I think will be 2nd. They perhaps have the best total package = most compact games, nicest amount of investment money. But my question then will be: Why do you wanna organize again after the 1964 Olympics and 1998 Winter Olympics? And....does your prosperous nation really need it?

Madrid will be 3rd. So many disadvantages. Public opinion on the whole is very low, especially in Catalunya and Basque Country. Unemployment in Spain will most likely be 20% or higher in the upcoming 6 years. Prime Minister Rajoy and his Partido Popular have been accused so many times of fraud. And there is Barcelona 1992.

So be prepared for Istanbul 2020. Several months after angry demonstrations took the public opinion hostage, now we will see lots of cheerful hands on the streets :-).

I must have drunk the Kool Aid here with Madrid since I actually liked the presentation. They did make a good point with Madrid's third attempt and we know that, using Beijing and PC as examples, the IOC loves persistence.

Does the IOC love "persistence", though. Beijing only tried twice. And the first time, they only lost by a measly two votes. Same with PyeongChang. They nearly snagged the 2010 winter Games. They only needed, essentially a couple of more votes there too. Madrid in their last two attempts hasn't come close to that.

What Beijing & PyeongChang had/have what Madrid doesn't is that big compelling factor. Beijing was/is the capital of 1/5 of humanity. PyeongChang was/is the first opportunity to expand the winter Games to mainland Asia for the first time. What does Madrid have? "The only major European capital that's hasn't had the chance to host"? If Munich's "first city to ever host the summer & winter Games" wasn't appealing, I don't see how the only Euro capital thing is either.

Does the IOC love "persistence", though. Beijing only tried twice. And the first time, they only lost by a measly two votes. Same with PyeongChang. They nearly snagged the 2010 winter Games. They only needed, essentially a couple of more votes there too. Madrid in their last two attempts hasn't come close to that.

What Beijing & PyeongChang had/have what Madrid doesn't is that big compelling factor. Beijing was/is the capital of 1/5 of humanity. PyeongChang was/is the first opportunity to expand the winter Games to mainland Asia for the first time. What does Madrid have? "The only major European capital that's hasn't had the chance to host"? If Munich's "first city to ever host the summer & winter Games" wasn't appealing, I don't see how the only Euro capital thing is either.

So I think we agree then no FYI ;-)? You also think it'll be Istanbul?

I only could catch some part of Tokyo's answers and most of Spanish presentation (except the Felipe's speech because of transmission cut). I think Spanish presentation wasn't really good, especially from most of the speakers (too bad I couldn't hear Felipe). Rajoy talking about the economy made me feel like he was describing Switzerland or something like this... the economy IS a problem now and they can't say that everything is OK, but I don't know if a bit of honesty ("not everything is ok but we are confident we will do the best" or sth in that line) would have been better for their commitment.

My heart is with Istambul, my brain with Tokyo.

Btw, yesterday I was just 100 m from the ceremony at the Teatro Colón, but I couldn't see anything :(

From the IOC site:

Owing to heavy rain and flooding in Buenos Aires, the broadcast feed during the Madrid 2020 presentation was temporarily suspended.

The International Olympic Committee apologises for the inconvenience, but would like to reiterate that Madrid’s presentation to the 125th IOC Session continued without incident and that the vote for the election of the 2020 host city will not be affected in any way

Just a side track. Guangzhou is considering to bid for 2024. if Tokyo wins, then GZ will not bid. Otherwise, it will be possible to see GZ's presentation 4 years later. (But most GZ citizens dont support this idea.....)

From the IOC site:

Owing to heavy rain and flooding in Buenos Aires, the broadcast feed during the Madrid 2020 presentation was temporarily suspended.

The International Olympic Committee apologises for the inconvenience, but would like to reiterate that Madrid’s presentation to the 125th IOC Session continued without incident and that the vote for the election of the 2020 host city will not be affected in any way

But their microphones in the venue also had problem.

Ok, ^^ China... stop it serioussly.... Wait till Japan hosts or even Korea...

My heart is with Istanbul, so nervous... :rolleyes: but my gut tells me Madrid will win. Just mark my words, Mardid will get it.

The government wants it. The people don't. GZ had the 2010 Asian games and what we learned is that hosting a game means our normal life will be disturbed for years....

After the presentations, it's even harder to guess the winner :([/quote

After the presentations, it's even harder to guess the winner :(

I know, but it is a long time eork, not only today, and Felipe last speech can help... I wish

Archived