Calgary 2022?

intoronto

Another thing that might blow this Calgary 2022 talk out of the water - aside from the reasons already mentioned - is that Edmonton, the capital of Alberta, is making preliminary plans to bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. It would be interesting to see how the two different events in the two cities clash against each other - and what impact the fact that Edmonton is the capital may have on that decision.

Ironically however, it might be the Commonwealth Games that are more difficult to obtain for Alberta - Edmonton is potentially up against possible bids from South Africa, London, and Singapore for the 2022 Games.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calgary has a more convincing story as they need a new arena and stadium

So Calgary is just gonna bid for an Olympics every time they need a new arena and stadium? :D

Okay, so even if they have that narrative, I pose to you the same question.. are you comfortable with with Calgary's interest knowing what it might do to Toronto?

So Calgary is just gonna bid for an Olympics every time they need a new arena and stadium? :D

Okay, so even if they have that narrative, I pose to you the same question.. are you comfortable with with Calgary's interest knowing what it might do to Toronto?

I was referring to RunningRings, between Edmonton vs Calgary, not if Toronto vs Calgary.

I am okay with because Calgary ain't getting 2022.

Calgary business and sport leaders can jostle all they like but if they don't get the support of the Canadian Olympic Committee, they won't be bidding on anything. I get the sense that for the COC's future hosting aspirations, a Summer in Toronto is the bigger priority. It is the tougher of the two Games to land. And even if Toronto wins a Summer Games, it will still be easier for Canada to land a future Winter Games shortly thereafter. Not so much the other way around. There aren't many Winter host potentials, and Calgary 1988 were both successful Games and Games that elevated the profile of the Winter Olympics.

Still, I hope the COC focuses on the Summer Games, even though the trend of world mega cities mixed with new frontiers rages on, the IOC needs a Sydney 2000 every now and then and I think Toronto can offer that. Canada already kicks butt in Winter Sport (thanks to Calgary and Vancouver) and we don't really need a third set of world class winter legacies so quickly (even if many are recycled or renovated).

Calgary business and sport leaders can jostle all they like but if they don't get the support of the Canadian Olympic Committee, they won't be bidding on anything. I get the sense that for the COC's future hosting aspirations, a Summer in Toronto is the bigger priority. It is the tougher of the two Games to land. And even if Toronto wins a Summer Games, it will still be easier for Canada to land a future Winter Games shortly thereafter. Not so much the other way around. There aren't many Winter host potentials, and Calgary 1988 were both successful Games and Games that elevated the profile of the Winter Olympics.

Still, I hope the COC focuses on the Summer Games, even though the trend of world mega cities mixed with new frontiers rages on, the IOC needs a Sydney 2000 every now and then and I think Toronto can offer that. Canada already kicks butt in Winter Sport (thanks to Calgary and Vancouver) and we don't really need a third set of world class winter legacies so quickly (even if many are recycled or renovated).

I agree we don't need a third set especially the Snow events. Vancouver's halfpipe was dismantled, the ski jumps aren't used etc. Thunder Bay which hosted the 1995 Nordic world Championships has no venues existing anymore for ex as well. We have an abundance. On the other hand Summer venues in the largest city need a boost. NO Olympic pools exist in the city right now (the Olympium is being renovated).

Nobody needs an athletics, aquatics or cycling venue. That includes Toronto.

Nor does anyone need a sledding or speed skating track.

Its not a NEED its a WANT to make the country produce better athletes. More venues to train athletes = better results. Its no surprise Ontario has seen a slide in total amount of athletes that make up Canada's Olympic team.

Olympic sized venues are not the key for a successful team . Australia rebuilt itself after its appalling showing in Montreal by establishing the AIS in Canberra, and the Olympic Winter Institute in Melbourne in 2010.

The AIS was key to rebuilding our profile, before later launching bids for the 92/96 and 2000 Games.

I just don't buy the whole "give us the games for our athletes"- its jingoistic, and that type of thinking wasn't received fondly by the world in 2010 with "own the podium".

The "what the Games do for us" argument isn't a good one- just ask Madrid.

Olympic sized venues are not the key for a successful team . Australia rebuilt itself after its appalling showing in Montreal by establishing the AIS in Canberra, and the Olympic Winter Institute in Melbourne in 2010.

The AIS was key to rebuilding our profile, before later launching bids for the 92/96 and 2000 Games.

I just don't buy the whole "give us the games for our athletes"- its jingoistic, and that type of thinking wasn't received fondly by the world in 2010 with "own the podium".

The "what the Games do for us" argument isn't a good one- just ask Madrid.

You are midsing the point. Canada when deciding for what to bid has to look at where the need is and that is clearly summer.

You are midsing the point. Canada when deciding for what to bid has to look at where the need is and that is clearly summer.

Honestly, I'm not following you. Hosting Summer Olympics are not the only way to improve at summer sports. A desire to improve at summer sports is not a good justification for bidding for Summer Olympics.

I think the point is "What does the IOC need and want?"

Honestly, I'm not following you. Hosting Summer Olympics are not the only way to improve at summer sports. A desire to improve at summer sports is not a good justification for bidding for Summer Olympics.

Lets put it this way, the COC is looking at bidding for a future Olympics its obviously going to look to the summer because Winter has been hosted twice after a Summer Games and thus selling a third games and the on set of Games infrastructure is not going to be easy. Hosting is always going to be an incentive to improve in any event, ie London is a perfect example (for the UK team).

Is it a good reason to bid? I don't think that is why countries bid for the Olympics.

(Sorry about the bad spelling I was on a phone)

----

- I know if you don't have that you ain't winning

I'm with intoronto. The whole "need" discussion stemmed from the idea that Canada doesn't need another set of winter venues. In other words, it would not be useful. But summer infrastructure? That's something Canada could use. Thus Canada will focus on a summer games. It's irrelevant what the IOC needs and wants from Canada, until Canada first decides what's best for itself.

If the IOC wants another winter games from Canada because its time for a North American winter games and the US won't bid? Well tough ****. Canada will not do the IOC that favour simply to have the IOC throw that back in their face and use it to penalize Canada from trying to host a summer games shortly after. Been there, done that.

Nobody needs an athletics, aquatics or cycling venue. That includes Toronto.

Nor does anyone need a sledding or speed skating track.

Melbourne had the existing pool and diving tank at the Melbourne Sports and Aquatics Centre. We built an outdoor pool to serve as the main pool. Any future Olympics will probably have another outdoor pool.

As for cycling, we had the arena that can host Cycling at 4,500. But we also built another indoor velodrome in the city as well for training.

Ya don't need em, but you end up building them as a legacy for those specific sports with the occasional world champs and such every now and then.

I would seriously rather Edmonton bid for the Summer Olympics than Calgary bidding for the games again. I live in Edmonton I was only a tyke when Calgary happened, there's just no way that the COC in all realistic scenarios would be backing a bid from Calgary when they're clearly focused on trying to get Toronto in 2024 (which is going to be difficult enough as it is with Durban, Rome and Paris as likely candidates) or 2028. I don't see another winter games bid happening until at least 2030 at the earliest. Perhaps 2026 if they lose the race for 2024, but before that, it's all about TO

• 2 weeks later...

too early for another winter games in Canada i think. In addition if it is successful (2022 or even 2026) it will destroy Canada's chances for summer Olympics hosting for at least 25-30 years

Curious as to why Vancouver wouldn't 'destroy' Canada's chances for Summer hosting for at least '25-30 years'.

Curious as to why Vancouver wouldn't 'destroy' Canada's chances for Summer hosting for at least '25-30 years'.

I had the same thought.

Because it allows the USA to bid and potentially host a summer games in either 2028 or 2032. 2024 would allow Toronto to bid as the USA won't bid for 2022.

Archived