Final presentations, Gamesbids style.

yoshi

Right, there's just 48 hours left to the election of the host city of the 2020 Olympic Games. Supporters of the 3 cities, this is your chance to sway some of the big people who no doubt see what goes on here. So, please post which city you're supporting (not predicting to win) & add a short explanation of why you're supporting them, & why the IOC should vote for your city on Saturday. Good luck, & may the best city win! :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Undoubtedly I support Istanbul. Since I lived there in 2005 and 2006 I realized that city had the potential to host a huge and important event like the Olympics. Istanbul has a great scenario that can be interesting for the olympic movement to see Guanabara bay and then the Bosphorus.

The home of many empires, cultures, faiths, races and a thriving modern life. The city itself is inspiring. A growing market and also the games may help the region to improve many social problems once the world focus on them after the Olympic cauldron in Rio turns off.

Madrid.

By some reasons:

1. A reasonable and efficient model of resources management.

This is not because of the austherity of Spain candidacy, this is to change in the futures bids the wrong concept of "the bigger the best". For example, the new candidacy of Washington DC for 2024, that follow this line. Tokyo is not away from this, but they dont make a front speech of this.

2. A way to confirm the end of the recesion and finally to take out the markets fears of South Europe (what concerns to the global economy).

3. A price for the golden Spanish age in the most popular sports, to encorage the rest of the countries to promote sports as Spain did.

4. To illuminate the world with spanish warm, open and happy character, and creativity. Based on barcelona 92', but with a lot of new details and exciting goals. Less budget, but more brain. Spain always look for surprise and to be different.

5. Because of it experience in world greats events of all types and the quality of its existing venues.

6. Because in Madrid you feel like at home, and you can be like you want without fear. 100% fredom at the streets, in venues, in society, not at home. Also is the 2nd capital more secure of Europe (by a Recently European Analysis).

7. Because of its tenacy. It is the 4th time, and all of it with the complete process. that knowing a candidacy from inside I can say that the last year take 90% of thework and effort.

8. Because it is the only Western great european capital that didn't host a games.

9. To boost the city to the world media play and relevance that it deserves.

Istanbul... Why?

*Is the exotic bid of this race, and I bet it'd be very exciting to see games in this "new frontier".

*The city seems so magical, I mean, I was there in a connection flight at Atatürk (ver crowded, btw) visited some cool spots and I wanna return.

*The city has such a great story

*Fifth time bidding... I thnk it's now or never for them.

*The OC at Boshorus Stadium, would be just AMAZING.

Istanbul is the one to win, IMHO.

Madrid is a nice, beautiful and charming city, but somehow, it will have some Barcelona-like tasting, and in the Olympic history, it's too soon to get another Spanish flavoured Olympics.

Somehow, I feel people wants the Olympic to move to new places and not repeat the same-old same-old...

My vote goes to Istanbul. Pity, I could not vote.

With their bladder. They need those bathroom breaks real quick!!

So the last presenter is at a big disadvantage ... hmm, let's see, that'd be Ma...

You do know the other reason Madrid can't win, don't you? The curse of the "M" hosts. The games always go wrong when they're hosted in a city beginning with "M":

Melbourne - boycotts over Suez and Hungary, blood in the pool

Mexico City - Tlatalelco massacre

Munich - massacre

Montreal - boycotts, financial ruin

Moscow - boycotts

And that's another reason Minneapolis-St Paul should never host.

;)

With their bladder. They need those bathroom breaks real quick!!

hahahaha, good one!!!

Specially with those cheap chairs Buenos Aires provided to the meeting...

So the last presenter is at a big disadvantage ... hmm, let's see, that'd be Ma...

You do know the other reason Madrid can't win, don't you? The curse of the "M" hosts. The games always go wrong when they're hosted in a city beginning with "M":

Munich - massacre

Moscow - boycotts

;)

Nor the Municipality of Buenos Aires... hahahaha

I vote Istanbul too.

If I was an IOC member, I'd be voting istanbul, with Tokyo as my second preference.

I find this extremely interesting coming from the two of you. How many thought-provoking IOC members will think the same way. So I wonder a lot of those reports that have come out, like that Hula one, calling that Istanbul is already done for could be premature. While I still would vote for Tokyo, Istanbul would be my very close second choice. While that other one would be my distant, last resort. It's like trying to choose between the iPhone, the Samsung Galaxy or that Boost Mobile prepay model.

Munich - massacre

Moscow - boycotts

;)

Never considered the darker side of the "M" streak. Plus, Melbourne's turn was marred by the breakaway staging of the Equestrian Games in StocklholM!

Archived