Who is Michael Payne?

fatixxx

Roland, do you have any idea of the fact that he did marketing/pr/promotion strategies for rio, london, sochi, beijing..

and is he in the circuit now for any of the 2020 candidate cities.. if it is.. what is his impact on the promotion/marketing of the cities.. etc.. :unsure:

is/was he succesfull or not??

According to the Wiki item, he's been with Bernie Ecclestone and Formula 1 since 2004, but still consults with the IOC on the side. He gets a lot of credit for being on the scene in the 80s and 90s when the IOC developed its marketing, broadcasting rights and TOP sponsorship programs, so you'd have to say he was pretty successful. Not sure how you'd assess the success of the marketing and promotions of the individual games, or how big a role he's played in them since 2004.

a few minutes ago i had a chat with a friend in istanbul and he said that payne was the main factor to bring the victory to rio (eg;: the worldmap of Lula etc..)

but now obviously he is working for the istanbul team.. I couldn't find any decent source on google.. is this true?? :wacko::unsure:

according my friend .. Payne did it for London AND Rio.. and now with an eventually istanbul win.. he will make a hatrick..

but my main question is.. why can't I find a decent source on this.. :(

according my friend .. Payne did it for London AND Rio.. and now with an eventually istanbul win.. he will make a hatrick..

but my main question is.. why can't I find a decent source on this.. :(

That sounds more like Mike Lee to me. He was the marketing strategist for the London and Rio bids. I thought Doha had signed him up early in this bid cycle. Can't recall hearing if he joined the istanbul team later or not.

If you do have him - good! He's probably the guru of bids in recent years.

Yes, he is working and lobbying for Istanbul 2020 in the Hilton Buenos Aires right now

one of his tweets:

Guess real decision over #2020 is whether IOC prefers to eat sushi; jabugo ham or turkish delight. Hope the #IOC has a sweet tooth.#Istanbul

you can follow his twitter page until the vote .. it could be useful to know what happening there in Buenos Aires:

https://twitter.com/MichaelRPayne1

and yes your friend information about him are correct according to his biography in his official website:

In September 2004, following the Athens Olympic Games, Michael resigned from the IOC to found his own global strategic advisory group. He joined the management team of F1, as special adviser to the Chairman and CEO, Mr Bernie Ecclestone. In addition, to taking he took on a number of other senior strategic advisory roles, including that of the successful London 2012 Olympic Bid and Rio 2016 Olympic Bids. Michael continues to consult various Olympic bodies and F1, as well as a cross section of media groups, governments and international corporations on their marketing, broadcasting and media strategies.

you can know more about him in his official website:

http://www.michaelrpayne.com/index.html

That sounds more like Mike Lee to me. He was the marketing strategist for the London and Rio bids. I thought Doha had signed him up early in this bid cycle. Can't recall hearing if he joined the istanbul team later or not.

If you do have him - good! He's probably the guru of bids in recent years.

Roland,. looking to the information of what world atlas has delivered as speed delivery.. it is not mike lee but indeed michael payne..

The next question that rises in my head now is; what is the difference between Mike Lee and Michael Payne..

Are these two THÉ right men at the right place/time to assure Olympic promotion and/or strategy..

And assuming as world atlas copied in the answer above and giving reference to his tweets; does their lobbying give decessive result or not..

Really .. I'm more excited now about the lobbying thing instead of the bids and/or last visual presentations..I don't know.. it is maybe the adrenaline that I have at the moment for what the istanbul team is delivering now at the moment (and whole the week) in buenos aires..

on the other hand i'm nervous too .. gosh don't know how to cope with my feelings today and whole the week.. :(:mellow:

Roland,. looking to the information of what world atlas has delivered as speed delivery.. it is not mike lee but indeed michael payne..

The next question that rises in my head now is; what is the difference between Mike Lee and Michael Payne..

Are these two THÉ right men at the right place/time to assure Olympic promotion and/or strategy..

And assuming as world atlas copied in the answer above and giving reference to his tweets; does their lobbying give decessive result or not..

There's sorta a small army of Olympic "consultants" out there who do do a good living advising bids and devising strategies (if the bid committees only read here, they'd probably get just as much good advice for free! Except how would they separate it from the dross? :P ). Some are shadier than others - back when Sydney was bidding in the 90s a lot of these "consultants" seemed really dodgy and were all about offering access to the inner sanctums of various IOC members and such. That was before the Salt Lake scandal, though, and it's probably a bit better now, but some of them still exist - I know Oz hired some dodgy help in their World Cup 2022 bid. But most now I'd say do trade on their expertise in marketing and past bids as well as, or even more than, their insiders' knowledge of how the IOC works and their contacts. Lee and Payne I think are more on this more legitimate side. They both know the drill well, Payne from the inside and Lee from being on so many mostly successful bids. They're good to have on side. And we're getting to the stage now a lot of the deals and final sales pitches are being done in the cafes and bars around and in the BA Hilton. This is where they may be able to help a bit.

Really .. I'm more excited now about the lobbying thing instead of the bids and/or last visual presentations..I don't know.. it is maybe the adrenaline that I have at the moment for what the istanbul team is delivering now at the moment (and whole the week) in buenos aires..

on the other hand i'm nervous too .. gosh don't know how to cope with my feelings today and whole the week.. :(:mellow:

Gosh, It's so much easier and fun to be able to look at these races from the outside with no great emotional investment. I remember feeling the way you do way in the days leading up to the big vote in Monte Carlo in 93. It's exciting but oh so nerve-wracking. Hang in there mate!

It would be a surprise for me, but I also think the most pleasing outcome personally in the end would be to hear Rogge read out "Istanbul" in a few days. Good luck!

Archived