BidIndex last update... Madrid momentum?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read some international press and they speak about "Madrid2020 has momentum as Rio16"

They've certainly picked up momentum - especially since Felipe's star turn at the Lausanne presentations and the Brazilian protests a few months ago. And they needed to. But the same as Rio? It's a different race. I don't think any of the bidders are generating the same sort of standing ovation enthusiasm Rio was getting in the final stretch four years ago. More of a last man standing marathon crawl to the finish.

Maybe it's not like Rio2016 but Istanbul is slipping and some sportmen are worried about Fukushima.

A city doesn't host the Olympic Games because of its strengths, just due to other bids' weakness.

A city doesn't host the Olympic Games because of its strengths, just due to other bids' weakness.

I disagree with that. It's much easier for the IOC to make a choice if they have a positive reason to go for it. And Rio is the perfect example - technically, in every evaluation, it was weaker than all its competitors. Emotionally, it left them all in the shade.

If someone has picked up some sort of momentum, that's Madrid for sure. That said, I don't dare to make a prediction about the winner. Every time I think of how the voting might go, I get to different possible outcomes. My feeling is that it's going to be a tight race and that the winner will be the one who has managed the best to minimize its own disadvantages.

As there's just three bidders, it is also to me very hard to make any predictions. It can go either way.

Anyway, I somehow feel that it would be hard for Tokyo to pull votes in a final against any of the other two, and don't ask me why: I feel they will lack support in the very last moment. That's why I tend to think that if Madrid fails first, then the victory would be for Istanbul. And if is the Turkish city the first to go, then Madrid will be the winner.

This would mean that Tokyo will not have any chance to win. And I don't think so.

That's the level of my confusion regarding this bloody voting, hahaha

This race is so so so different than 2016 race that any comparision sounds me totally out of room...

And Rio is the perfect example - technically, in every evaluation, it was weaker than all its competitors.

Sad to read this from you, Rols. Not even in legacy Rio had a better plan?

Sad to read this from you, Rols. Not even in legacy Rio had a better plan?

Danny, that's just the technical component. That's never been the most important component to me as long as it's enough to make the short list - which it was for Rio despite not scoring highest. There's more to a bid than having the slickest transport or shortest distance between the press centre and the accreditation offices. In the emotional and glamour X factors, Rio had it over the others in droves.

I disagree with that. It's much easier for the IOC to make a choice if they have a positive reason to go for it. And Rio is the perfect example - technically, in every evaluation, it was weaker than all its competitors. Emotionally, it left them all in the shade.

I meant to a weakness during the process before voting, like Istanbul protests or Tokyo radioactivity, not a better or worse bid.

Arent't you agree with me in this case?

I meant to a weakness during the process before voting, like Istanbul protests or Tokyo radioactivity, not a better or worse bid.

Arent't you agree with me in this case?

Not necessarily. I don't think there's been a bid campaign that has been so affected by so many outside factors as this one, from quakes to economic slumps to protests.

As there's just three bidders, it is also to me very hard to make any predictions. It can go either way.

Anyway, I somehow feel that it would be hard for Tokyo to pull votes in a final against any of the other two, and don't ask me why: I feel they will lack support in the very last moment. That's why I tend to think that if Madrid fails first, then the victory would be for Istanbul. And if is the Turkish city the first to go, then Madrid will be the winner.

This would mean that Tokyo will not have any chance to win. And I don't think so.

That's the level of my confusion regarding this bloody voting, hahaha

That is exactly what I say a few weeks before... In fact, I believe that Tokyo will fall first...

Danny, that's just the technical component. That's never been the most important component to me as long as it's enough to make the short list - which it was for Rio despite not scoring highest. There's more to a bid than having the slickest transport or shortest distance between the press centre and the accreditation offices. In the emotional and glamour X factors, Rio had it over the others in droves.

:)

in case a madrid istanbul final.... i guess most european votes back to Istanbul to clear 2024.. a nonEU member with another cultural background wont oppose paris24 or rome24.

Once time again... Why Paris, Rome, London, Berlin and not Madrid?? Why people think Madrid is not a good place to host an OG?? I am bored of listening the same again and again...

Once time again... Why Paris, Rome, London, Berlin and not Madrid?? Why people think Madrid is not a good place to host an OG?? I am bored of listening the same again and again...

Because France, Italy and Germany have all waited longer than Spain for a summer games. Also, the European countries that are planing a bid for 2024 will want to see Madrid fail. This isn't something I say because I want to see Madrid fail, it is simply the reality of the Olympic biding process.

Also, Madrid doesn't quite have the prestige Paris, Rome, Berlin or even Barcelona has internationally. Should that matter? Not in the context of the 2020 race. Does it? To an extend.

It's all about timing, not about the city.

Madrid is a beautiful and interesting place to host the games. But it seems it's not the time for the city to host. There will be for some time the "Barcelona" factor. For the Olympics history, Barcelona is still something recent.

More than that, other European countries are waiting for an opportunity for long time. And add to this, it seems there is a will to send the games to new places instead of repeting countires... Even inside Europe there are a bunch of new frontiers: Czech Republic, Portugal, Turkey...

Still, Madrid will be always a strong contender. It's all about timing.

The same argument of Paris, Berlin, Rome that I would support IF THEY WERE BIDDING. They're NOT! Why in heavens name Madrid should be punished until they decide to bid?? I will never understand. They FREELY decided to stay away of 2020 race... and the IOC did really take note on that.

Because France, Italy and Germany have all waited longer than Spain for a summer games. Also, the European countries that are planing a bid for 2024 will want to see Madrid fail. This isn't something I say because I want to see Madrid fail, it is simply the reality of the Olympic biding process.

Also, Madrid doesn't quite have the prestige Paris, Rome, Berlin or even Barcelona has internationally. Should that matter? Not in the context of the 2020 race. Does it? To an extend.

Barcelona is not Madrid. Paris Rome Berlin London hosted the Olympic Games before. Madrid is Spain, I know we had Barcelona 92 and??? It is a different city which has never host the OG. A new big city for a big OG. Paris, Rome, Berlin doesn't need a big promotion.
If Madrid falls now... and Madrid is bidding for 2024, Rome, Berlin or Paris won't host the OG in 2024. It will be Madrid. IOC know it is time for Madrid as a big capital in Europe which has never had Olympic Games.
It is funny all of you believe Paris Rome or Berlin will host them in 2024... We had the same votes for 2012 as Paris but it had a mistake in a IOC member. If Paris had been failed before Madrid, London 2012 it wouldn't exist. For 2016 we were second after Rio.

Bimbo87, don't get wrong: Paris was defeated by Barcelona, Beijing & London. As soon as they decide to bid, they'll be awarded. Madrid would have nothing to do in a race with such a rival.

Therefore 2020 has become somehow the best moment for Madrid, considering that it has no European rival. And the IOC will tend to reward a city that's actually IN the race.

u spanish guys cant understand why people dont want madrid for 2020. even worlds super power usa doesnt get games in this short period and why spain???

the only eu capital without games doesnt sell... its your excuse den better u get madrid 92 not barcelona

Archived