BidIndex: Tokyo Leads; Race Tightens as 2020 Olympic Bid Enters Final Week

GBModerator

Upset for who?

For anyone that wants to see the Olympic Games move forward and not remain static. Madrid offers the Olympic movement nothing significant.

Istanbul, for all its flaws, is an exciting new face of Europe. Tokyo is a global mega city on a scale that leaves Madrid in the dust. Even though I'm backing Istanbul in 2020, I still see the merits of Tokyo.

I've tried, but I just can't find anything redeemable about the IOC selecting Madrid - if they're misguided enough to do so. At least Atlanta was financially tight.

I think that Madrid might have found itself on the right place and at the right time. The media continuously talks about a genuine push inside the IOC to scale down the Games in cost so as to make them available for as many cities and countries as possible; they talk about bringing the games somewhere on Southeast Asia, therefore if this trend inside the IOC is genuine, it greatly favors Madrid (financial problems apart) as they preach this very same thing. And also, Madrid might have found the least competitive race in decades, with only three cities in the running and all of them not free of problems of different kinds. In addition, it may be that after the games in Sochi and Rio, and to a lesser extent, Pyeongchang, which both count as "risky" new frontiers, they may want to have a calm time and award the Games to a city that they know will o`provide the Games smoothly and with the least problems, favouring both Tokyo and Madrid.

In any case, it all depends on how well the cities sell their product to the IOC and on how well they manage the inside job and politics in the IOC, and at this, I perceive that Madrid have the advantage; they have been lobbying much earlier than any of the two, since Sunday, while Istanbul and Tokyo are waiting for their political leaders and have not yet started lobbying intensively.

In any case, it all depends on how well the cities sell their product to the IOC and on how well they manage the inside job and politics in the IOC, and at this, I perceive that Madrid have the advantage; they have been lobbying much earlier than any of the two, since Sunday, while Istanbul and Tokyo are waiting for their political leaders and have not yet started lobbying intensively.

Doesn't mean anything. If anything, it shows that "Spain" is NOT really a mature enough economy to handle something as gargantuan as a 21st century SOGs -- whereas the other 2 indeed have other things going for them other than a 2-week sports festival (which Spain just had 21 years ago!! How conveniently we forget that!! I mean talk of greedy and not very enterprising, huh???) Any maybe Madrid has to lobby harder since they have the weakest, least dynamic sales pitch of all.

Also, South Korea is NOT a "new frontier." They are an industrialized economy having hosted all the major sports meets and worlds fair--almost as much as China and Japan and Europe. As a matter of fact, they belong to the G-20 whereas Spain does not. ;)

Doesn't mean anything. If anything, it shows that "Spain" is NOT really a mature enough economy to handle something as gargantuan as a 21st century SOGs -- whereas the other 2 indeed have other things going for them other than a 2-week sports festival (which Spain just had 21 years ago!! How conveniently we forget that!! I mean talk of greedy and not very enterprising, huh???) Any maybe Madrid has to lobby harder since they have the weakest, least dynamic sales pitch of all.

Also, South Korea is NOT a "new frontier." They are an industrialized economy having hosted all the major sports meets and worlds fair--almost as much as China and Japan and Europe. As a matter of fact, they belong to the G-20 whereas Spain does not. ;)

That's why I said "to a lesser extent" ;) as the Winter OG had never been held outside Europe and North America. And as for Spain, their economy is still bigger than that of Turkey's and South Korea in volume, problems and banks apart, and they have their prince lobbying there, that's what I meant by them being in BA before. Their Prime Minister is going to be in Saint Petesburg in the G20 summit until friday or saturday! they have some kind of special status in the G20 :rolleyes: Now don't get me wrong, you all know my favourite candidate is Istanbul, but I'm preparing for them not winning, and embracing all the possibilities!

And as for Spain, their economy is still bigger than that of Turkey's and South Korea in volume, problems and banks apart, and they have their prince lobbying there, that's what I meant by them being in BA before.

Uhmmm,..., no it's not. South Korea has long overtaken Spain by about a decade or so, and it still tops Spain on the 3 lists quoted here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)

GDP can be measured in various ways: the nominal GDP, that is to say the total volume of money produced in a country and measured in international dollars. Then there is GDP by PPP, that is to say Purchasing Power Parity, taking into account both inflation in the country, the relative value of the currency in which it is measured and the total purchasing power of the population, taking into account the GDP per capita and CPI (you know, Consumer Prices Index). And lastly, there is GDP by PPP per capita, which takes again the total Purchasing Power Parity of the GDP divided by the total population of the country in the middle of the year. So, therefore you are right, South Korea has a bigger GDP by PPP than Spain, but then again, that is why I said "in volume", meaning that Spain still has a larger nominal GDP than SK, as well has a higher GDP by PPP per capita.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)

Sorry about the Economics epigraph :P

This may sound weird but I'm getting afeeling Madrid can pull a surprise... I mean, Tokyo is the front runner but it lacks something.... Istanbul lost momentum in the past months.

I think Tokyo lacks passion and story, now with the distracting "problem" growing it’s less appealing just to rely on "we're Tokyo...we want to host again!".

However, it is Tokyo and that’s important. But what is the message for the IOC to go there? Is it…..”It’s a huge important city that deserves to host again?”…..or is it “Poor Japan has only host 1 summer games and 2 winter games and the winter games don’t count!”….or is it “We should have the first back to back Asian games in the history of the games PC2018-TOKYO2020.”, or is it "Discover tomorrow?". I'm going to discover tomorrow tomorrow, I don't need to be in Tokyo to do that.

I think it’s more compelling to go to the last large European Capitol that has not hosted with a message that the games do not have to cost 20 billion to 50 billion dollars to be spectacular, this will help move away from the Athens/Beijing/Sochi stereotypes……..if only for one cycle!

Istanbul can surprise but riots look very unappealing, and the head of government in charge of the “crackdown” will awkwardly be there because it would be EVEN worse if he didn’t attend. That’s the lesser of 2 evils, the winner will be the lesser of 3.

Yaaaa, Tokyo really is lacking something since the moment the bid... That passion, for example, Rome would have had. Or even Madrid has... Sad for Istanbul I really want to see them host, but these last months were a mayor seatback.

I think Tokyo lacks passion and story, now with the distracting "problem" growing its less appealing just to rely on "we're Tokyo...we want to host again!".

However, it is Tokyo and thats important. But what is the message for the IOC to go there? Is it..Its a huge important city that deserves to host again?..or is it Poor Japan has only host 1 summer games and 2 winter games and the winter games dont count!.or is it We should have the first back to back Asian games in the history of the games PC2018-TOKYO2020., or is it "Discover tomorrow?". I'm going to discover tomorrow tomorrow, I don't need to be in Tokyo to do that.

I think its more compelling to go to the last large European Capitol that has not hosted with a message that the games do not have to cost 20 billion to 50 billion dollars to be spectacular, this will help move away from the Athens/Beijing/Sochi stereotypes..if only for one cycle!

Istanbul can surprise but riots look very unappealing, and the head of government in charge of the crackdown will awkwardly be there because it would be EVEN worse if he didnt attend. Thats the lesser of 2 evils, the winner will be the lesser of 3.

Are you kidding me with this?! How's "the only European capital that hasn't hosted the Games" - "more compelling"? It's not! Far from it. Munich becoming the first city to become host to both the winter & summer Games meant absolutely nothing to their 2018 bid. So I don't see how that would be compelling for Madrid.

Or is it "poor Madrid" - "please give us the Games so we can finally outdo our Catalonian neighbors cuz were so jealous of them". Or is it - "illiminate the future" with also possible "riots" in an austerity ridden economy where their "fiscally responsible" & disingenuous budget would ballon.

And for the millionth time, Tokyo is NOT proposing $20-$50 Billion Games. Not even close! They at least have more of a REALISTIC budget than Madrid. But I just love it how you changed it from your previous $40 Billiion mantra so you can knock on Istanbul.

And I don't think that the Japanese are "lacking passion" at all. For a bid that started out with the lowest of public support & now has arguably surpassed the other bids demonstrates the exact opposite. It shows that the Japanese really do want this! And with their organizational know-how, I think those alone are very good compelling factors in itself.

Are you kidding me with this?! How's "the only European capital that hasn't hosted the Games" - "more compelling"? It's not! Far from it. Munich becoming the first city to become host to both the winter & summer Games meant absolutely nothing to their 2018 bid. So I don't see how that would be compelling for Madrid.

Or is it "poor Madrid" - "please give us the Games so we can finally outdo our Catalonian neighbors cuz were so jealous of them". Or is it - "illiminate the future" with also possible "riots" in an austerity ridden economy where their "fiscally responsible" & disingenuous budget would ballon.

And for the millionth time, Tokyo is NOT proposing $20-$50 Billion Games. Not even close! They at least have more of a REALISTIC budget than Madrid. But I just love it how you changed it from your previous $40 Billiion mantra so you can knock on Istanbul.

And I don't think that the Japanese are "lacking passion" at all. For a bid that started out with the lowest of public support & now has arguably surpassed the other bids demonstrates the exact opposite. It shows that the Japanese really do want this! And with their organizational know-how, I think those alone are very good compelling factors in itself.

bla bla bla i hate madrid bla bla bla spain crisis bla bla bla catalans bla bla bla tokio cool

bla bla bla i hate madrid bla bla bla spain crisis bla bla bla catalans bla bla bla tokio cool

but u r :S

even u got de games or not it wont change. spain is the next domino after greece. esp. if syria problem turn into a war and oil prices rise up and euro begans to fall against dollar...

better u stay at your previous currency so u can devaulate...

but u r :S

even u got de games or not it wont change. spain is the next domino after greece. esp. if syria problem turn into a war and oil prices rise up and euro begans to fall against dollar...

better u stay at your previous currency so u can devaulate...

We are in crisis yes, but saying that spain is the next domino after greece, would be like saying that turkey is the next domino after Tunez Libia Egypt and Syria ( those are least are in order, as a real domino :P )

Probably i wouldn't mind if we still had the 'Peseta'

We are in crisis yes, but saying that spain is the next domino after greece, would be like saying that turkey is the next domino after Tunez Libia Egypt and Syria ( those are least are in order, as a real domino :P )

Probably i wouldn't mind if we still had the 'Peseta'

peseta was nice:)

neah arab and turkish culture very different

like iran we r a imperial past and ruledd dem for centuries.. it wont happen in turkey

No different than pauls "blah blah blah I hate Tokyo blah blah blah Fukoshima blah blah blah no passion blah blah blah but Madrid great" speil. But thanks for your continual hypocritical double standards nontheless. :-P

peseta was nice:)

neah arab and turkish culture very different

like iran we r a imperial past and ruledd dem for centuries.. it wont happen in turkey

yes, i'm sure that nothing similar will happen in turkey, but i'm also sure that is Spain is recovering from crisis! Slowly, very very slowly, but it is.

No different than pauls "blah blah blah I hate Tokyo blah blah blah Fukoshima blah blah blah no passion blah blah blah but Madrid great" speil. But thanks for your continual hypocritical double standards nontheless. :-P

So you are comparing yourself to Paul, the one who you have been criticizing for a while, Wau, that's not hypocrital ^_^

Oh please. Here's the thing: of the 3, the Spanish economy is on life support. The other 2 aren't. You (Spain) just had a Summer Olympics 21 years ago; Turkey hasn't had one; and Tokyo's was 49 years ago (and would be 56' passage by 2020). So why should Spain get 2020 again?? :blink::blink:

yes, i'm sure that nothing similar will happen in turkey, but i'm also sure that is Spain is recovering from crisis! Slowly, very very slowly, but it is.

So you are comparing yourself to Paul, the one who you have been criticizing for a while, Wau, that's not hypocrital ^_^

slowly..... when ? till sun becomes a super nova and burn world???

whts spains growth rate this quarter ?-1?

olympics wont make it+1 or more... and everyone knows that budget will double to 7b.usd at least ...

Archived