Paris 2024

The mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, has unveiled plans to restrict traffic in the French capital and pedestrianise the city centre in an attempt to halve the number of private cars on the roads.

The move comes as arguments continue over the closure of roads along the Seine last summer and other traffic reduction measures introduced after dangerous spikes in pollution led to a cloud of smog over the city.

Hidalgo told the Journal du Dimanche she wanted to “divide by around half the number of polluting private cars” in Paris as part of her ongoing campaign to “reconquer the public space” for pedestrians, cyclists and other non-polluting transport, including electric cars and scooters.

A 1km stretch of road along the river from Place de la Concorde and Pont Royal is scheduled for closure.

City authorities also plan to restrict traffic on two main roads running from east to west: the upper highway on the right bank and the rue de Rivoli, on which City Hall is located.

Hidalgo is planning a new electric tramway, increased bicycle lanes on busy roads and the pedestrianisation of central areas.

She said urgent environmental concerns and the challenge of making the transition to clean transport were absolute priorities.

“The deluge is imminent and we cannot wait for it to sweep us all away … there are too many cars in Paris,” she told those gathered for her traditional new year wishes on Friday.

The mayor said from September 2018, an electric tram-bus – nicknamed the “Olympic tramway” in honour of Paris’s bid for the 2024 Games – would run next to part of the upper highways along the Seine in both directions.

More @ https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/08/paris-mayor-anne-hidalgo-plan-restrict-traffic-pedestrianise-city-centre-france?CMP=twt_gu

If you already have a great metro system, commuter rail and high speed rail, why not? People in suburban Paris should be able to drive to metro or commuter stations and then use rail to get around the city.

I am not a fan of the idea of mixing electric cars, bikes and pedestrians, though.

I see why France would want to host the 2024 games however due to what has happened with the terror attacks I do not think it would bring in as many people/economy as the country thinks unless it stops as people could be afraid to go there after the terror attacks

That is true that it would have happend 9 years ago by the time it is 2024 but as it has happened before what is to say that it won't happen again and that they won't be target again especially when a massive event like the Olympic games is on in that country? It might make it even more of a target then it was 

Of course but seeing as they know how to get into France already  it will be easier to do it again. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be held there I said it might not bring in as many people/revenue that they might like. So after some research only 8 people died from goats and 130 people died from the terror attack with hundreds injured......

3 hours ago, Xenna said:

I see why France would want to host the 2024 games however due to what has happened with the terror attacks I do not think it would bring in as many people/economy as the country thinks unless it stops as people could be afraid to go there after the terror attacks

How many terror attacks have there been in the United States.  Does the same logic apply there?  London suffered from a terrorist attack shortly after they were awarded 2012.  Did that hurt tourism there?  Every country deals with the threat of terrorism when it comes to the Olympics.  Doesn't seem to stop too many people from attending.  No reason to single out Paris here.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, Xenna said:

There was also the 7/7 bombing in recent years before the London 2012 Olympics. Although there have been terrorist attacks it is a global problem and to stop Paris from holding the games would mean that other countries shouldn't hold it either. Paris is a well established city that has now put measures in to control or prevent other attacks. The Olympics is an event that has been going on for a long time and therefore I feel that tourism would not be affected as there are also many attractions in Paris that tourists still flock to after these attacks.

Hmm I think terrorism would contribute to a drop in the economy and tourism due to the fact that people would be scared of getting into that situation. So less people would go to the Olympics because of that. I personally think that France shouldn't have the Olympics due to this fact.

As stated earlier in this discussion the games are 9 years away. This means that Paris has time to improve prior to the event. Terrorism is something that is out of their control and as the IOC president said “IOC members know that terrorism is not a French or Parisian problem, it’s a global challenge”. As it is beyond their control they should not be penalised and restricted from holding the games.

25 minutes ago, Aries23 said:

Hmm I think terrorism would contribute to a drop in the economy and tourism due to the fact that people would be scared of getting into that situation. So less people would go to the Olympics because of that. I personally think that France shouldn't have the Olympics due to this fact.

People were scared there might be a terrorist attack in Athens 2004.  They went anyway.  Nothing happened.

London had 7/7.  People went to the Olympics anyway.  Nothing happened.

Rio had similar concerns about terrorism and much more leading up to 2016.  Lots of people went anyway.  Nothing happened.

If Paris is awarded the Olympics, they'll likely spend a great deal of money on security, but the result is that they'll more than likely keep everyone else.  That Paris has dealt with terrorism recently is not a reason they shouldn't be awarded an Olympics.  Especially when the other main alternative is the United States, speaking of a country that could easily be a terrorist target.

In case you have noticed, Aries23. But terrorism is an issue all across Europe, not just in France. So unless you also advocate that the Olympics not be held in Europe, then we might as well just cancel the Olympics altogether! Bcuz terrorism now is a global phenomenon, including countries such as the United States & even Australia (where several terror plots have been foiled). So your argument is moot.

2 hours ago, Aries23 said:

Yet, there wasn't even one half-hearted terrorism attempt during Euro 2016. :blink:   So what are you talking about?? 

Totally agree with the last two points. In terms of advantages and disadvantages it seems that the only disadvantage raised is terrorism. Bringing a mega event to any country would be a way to boost the economy through tourism regardless of past incidents. As Paris is known as a major city it is a way for France to show off their country but also develop it. It is also a way for local businesses to make more money through the exposure based on tourists. France is not a country that is struggling and therefore for financial reasons would benefit. For me, France has more advantages than disadvantages if they are given the bid.

On a more cheerful note, the latest in the Paris good-news drip-feed:

Eiffel Tower to be given €300m facelift under 15-year renovation plan

.. The deputy mayor of Paris, Jean-François Martins, who is responsible for tourism, said half of the money would be spent on overhauling the tower, including its lifts, which still use some of the original workings Gustave Eiffel installed. The thousands of lights that illuminate on the hour every evening will also be modernised.

City officials said the most important work would be completed before 2024.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/15/eiffel-tower-to-be-given-300m-facelift-under-15-year-renovation-plan