Paris 2024

On 15/10/2016 at 3:05 PM, neige said:

I've just read the second bidbook:

http://paris2024.org/medias/presse/bidbook_2_digital_anglais_cmjn_hd.pdf

It can be noticed a few changes (it can be seen in table 22 at the end of the file):

• weightlifting is no more at Arena 92. It is at Zenith.

It means there is now 1 sport only (Gymnastics) in Arena 92 (Arena 92 is a 30000 seats rugby stadium with a roof).

Maybe they want to increase the capacity for gymnastics (17500 in the first bidbook)?

• boxing is no more at Zenith. It is now at Roland Garros!

Suzan Lenglen court will be used. It is the second biggest court (10000 seats). It implies that a roof is needed (this is not planed in the current Roland Garros renewal project).

http://www.nouveaurolandgarros.com/english-version

• There is now a second arena for basketball at Stade Pierre de Coubertin

Stade Pierre de Coubertin is an old 4000 seats arena. It is planed 7.4 M$ for its renovation in the bidbook.

CIP_2012-4245.jpg

I think it's a good idea to leave Arena 92 only for gymnastics, but moving boxing to Roland Garros is quite strange, isn't it? Not only the Suzanne Lenglen court would need a roof as you point out, but also it would leave the boxing venue "inside" the tennis venue, completely surrounded by tennis courts. I would understand this change better if boxing was to be held at the new Court des Serres, which is going to be a bit separated from the rest of the Roland Garros complex, although it isn't planned to have a roof either.

9 hours ago, Athan said:

I think it's a good idea to leave Arena 92 only for gymnastics, but moving boxing to Roland Garros is quite strange, isn't it? Not only the Suzanne Lenglen court would need a roof as you point out, but also it would leave the boxing venue "inside" the tennis venue, completely surrounded by tennis courts. I would understand this change better if boxing was to be held at the new Court des Serres, which is going to be a bit separated from the rest of the Roland Garros complex, although it isn't planned to have a roof either.

Yes it's quite strange because there's been no communication about these changes. I couldn't find any article speaking about that...

In Roland Garros complex, maybe, they will only use the right part of Susanne Lenglen for tennis. It would make 10 courts. Don't know if it's enough? (and use the courts on the right for training)

PlanRolandGarros3.jpg

1 hour ago, stryker said:

Does boxing necessarily have to have a roof though? I've seen plenty of professional boxing matches on TV that are outdoors.

I think, ideally, if the IOC could have all its wishes, it would be.  Here's my feeling.  Unless they can use a ring floor that will absorb all sorts of moisture and humidity to make it less slippery and dangerous, at least a roof would minimize the humidity on certain days.  And a roof of course, provides better lighting insofar as TV needs.  Otherwise, like in a BV court, the lights will be quite far away.  

If they intend to use Suzanne Lenglen tennis court (which needs a temporary roof for that) for boxing, why don't they use the central court (15000 seats with a sliding roof) for basketball or volleyball finals? (tennis will end on the sunday at the end of the first week and it would be needed to get the court ready for basketball or volleyball on tuesday: 1/4 finals)

20 hours ago, neige said:

If they intend to use Suzanne Lenglen tennis court (which needs a temporary roof for that) for boxing, why don't they use the central court (15000 seats with a sliding roof) for basketball or volleyball finals? (tennis will end on the sunday at the end of the first week and it would be needed to get the court ready for basketball or volleyball on tuesday: 1/4 finals)

1 hour ago, TeamBlakeUSA said:

How Much Do These Venues Cost?

Using Rolland Garros courts for volleyball would avoid the construction of a temporary arena (Le Bourget Pavillon 2 : 45 M$).

And it would be much more impressive!

1 hour ago, neige said:

Using Rolland Garros courts for volleyball would avoid the construction of a temporary arena (Le Bourget Pavillon 2 : 45 M$).

For Beach V or Hard-court Indoor V?   It might not work for the indoor brand which must NOT have any wind interference on the ball whatsoever.  

5 hours ago, neige said:

I meant for indoor volleyball. So it depends on the roof structure that will be built....

Is there the same constraint for basketball? (no wind interference)

A basketball is a much heavier ball which I don't think a mild gust of wind can influence.  Volleyballs are so much lighter.  In Barcelona, I forget which was the venue for the women's finals, but the A/C had to be shut down whenever one side served because the downdraft from the vent, diverted the trajectory of the ball.  

On 26/10/2016 at 10:13 PM, neige said:

Looking at this picture, it seems the sliding roof will not be so airtight. So, maybe basketball would be the best solution.

XXWMa.jpg

I think when fully closed it could be made sufficiently airtight without too much trouble, so the big question would be more about what sport has most need of a 15,000 capacity arena.

I think the priority order for Paris 2024 is:

1. basketball (because it is world wide popular)
  2. handball (because France got 4 medals at the last 3 games)
  3. volleyball

The current configuration is:

Le Bourget Pavillon 2A (temporary, 12000 seats):          week 1: volleyball          week 2: volleyball

Le Bourget Pavillon 2B (temporary, ????? seats):          week 1: volleyball          week 2: 

Paris Bercy arena 1 (15000 seats):                                 week 1: judo                  week 2: basketball

Paris Bercy arena 2 (10000 seats):                                 week 1: basketball         week 2: wrestling

Pierre de Coubertin (4000 seats):                                   week 1: basketball         week 2:

Parc expo porte de Versailles Hall1 (12000 seats):         week 1: hanball             week 2: handbball

Rolland Garros Lenglen (temporary roof, 10000 seats)  week 1: boxing              week 2: boxing

Rolland Garros Chatrier (sliding roof, 15000 seats)        week 1: tennis               week 2: 

If Rolland Garros Chatrier was used during the second week for basketball, we could have:

Le Bourget Pavillon 2A (temporary, 12000 seats): 

Le Bourget Pavillon 2B (temporary, ????? seats): 

Paris Bercy arena 1 (15000 seats):                                 week 1: judo                 week 2: handball

Paris Bercy arena 2 (10000 seats):                                 week 1: handball         week 2: wrestling

Parc expo porte de Versailles Hall1 (12000 seats):         week 1: volleyball        week 2: volleyball

Pierre de Coubertin (4000 seats):                                   week 1: volleyball         week 2:

Rolland Garros Lenglen (temporary roof, 10000 seats)  week 1: basketball        week 2: boxing

Rolland Garros Chatrier (sliding roof, 15000 seats)        week 1: tennis                week 2: basketball

Parc expo porte de Versailles Hall4-A (5000 seats):   week 1: basketball       week 2:

Parc expo porte de Versailles Hall4-B (5000 seats):   week 1: boxing             week 2:

5 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

I think when fully closed it could be made sufficiently airtight without too much trouble, so the big question would be more about what sport has most need of a 15,000 capacity arena.

If the French men's national in VB does better than Basketball, then it should go to Indoor Volleyball.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2016 at 9:52 AM, neige said:

Ma preference est pour le tennis. Londres n'a pas eu basket a Wimbledon.

Est-ce que le basket plus populaire que le volleyball en France?