Paris 2024

Oh my....Are we seriously discussing this, really?

Anyway, I was glad to see a bit more about this bid. I don't really know what to think of it. It's what I expected I suppose. Having a proper "Olympic Park" is a thing that is against agenda 2020. Neither Rio or Tokyo will have their Olympic Stadium in the Olympic Park. And Paris won't either. I quite like that they're planning on building a Media Village. Overall, it's still looks quite compact to me, which is good, while being widespread in the same time.

I can't wait to see a proper plan for the planned venues (all of them). But as we've seen with Tokyo, this is likely to change completely, even if they're awarded the Games.

So more seriously, what role will the park (which is in the middle of this northern cluster) play in Paris 2024???? :blink:

Versailles has been chosen for equestrian sports...maybe mountain bike in this park?

Or just a nature park for visitors (pedestrians and cyclists)?

paris-2024-concept.png

Looks like they are planning to build at least 1 permanent and 4 temporary new arenas for indoor sports

It seems to me that pavillon 5 will be the shooting venue because there is a shooting club exactly at this place.

It can also be seen dashed lined (secured area) on the A1 highway (from the stadium to the park) ??? :blink:

My feeling is that they're going to cover the A1 highway. That would make a green corridor (cyclists, pedestrians) linking the stadium / swimming pool part to the pavillons / hockey / water polo part.

It is interesting to note that some of the metro stations which are on this map (for instance line 15 station of La Plaine Stade de France ...) are currently planned to be opened after 2024.

I have seen no information about an acceleration of these projects yet.

http://www.metroligne15est.fr/projet/calendrier/

Edited by hektor

Several shots and explosions heard near Stade De France right now. Several are reported dead. Details are unclear atm.

Currently over 60 people held hostage. 26 dead, dozens more injured. Multiple places hit. 5 to 6 gunmen attacking bars, restaurants, etc. around the stadium. There was a football going on at the stadium, Germany VS France I believe.

The death toll has increased to at least 35. 11 were found dead at a restaurant, 15 at a theater. Now over 100 people are being held hostage. The stadium is currently on lockdown because police think that's currently the safest place for those already in there.

The terrorists have been reported as not wearing masks. Not sure of their race but I'm sure int'l news stations are reporting that, US media holds back that info for some stupid reason.

The day the hopes of Paris hosting the 2024 Games vanished...

That is a bunch of crap. If tragedies actually affect the chance of hosting the games, Tokyo would never have won the right to host the games. If anything this might give them more sympathetic voters. Although, I'm concerned if the Paris bid will stay in the race after this.

Well, adieu Paris 2024.

And before someone bash my opinion let me remind you the 2004 terrorist attack in Madrid was one of the main reasons their 2005 bid lost. I know the attack shouldn't define how the security would be during the actual games, but it still plays a big factor affecting the decisions of the IOC members during the vote.

That is a bunch of crap. If tragedies actually affect the chance of hosting the games, Tokyo would never have won the right to host the games. If anything this might give them more sympathetic voters. Although, I'm concerned if the Paris bid will stay in the race after this.

I don't see why it shouldn't....

Although, I'm concerned if the Paris bid will stay in the race after this.

Why?! Or maybe it would make them more resilient! If terrorist attacks were a reason to abandon Olympic bids, then they shouldn't bid in the first place!

Did we already forget 7/7/05 in London (albeit it was a day after London won 2012). Or what about Madrid still bidding for 2012, despite their terrorist attack on 3/11/04 (the worst terrorist attack in Western Europe)?

If for whatever hypothetical reason Paria were to drop it's 2024 bid bcuz of this (although I don't see that being a primary reason), then it would really be a sad day for all of us, cuz that would mean that the terrorists win.

And before someone bash my opinion let me remind you the 2004 terrorist attack in Madrid was one of the main reasons their 2005 bid lost..

Oh bullsh!t. Madrid lost for OTHER reasons. Let's keep in mind that London suffered a terrorist attack ONE day after winning the 2012 Games & the IOC didn't feel like the needed to strip them of the Gamws bcuz of it. The Olympic Games would be a target NO matter where they are held!

^^ Yeah but nobody knew it was going to happen. Also, Istambul 2020 lost as well against Tokyo because of terrorism and the whole Syria Civil War thing (and they admited this was the main factor). And lets be honest, certain terrorist groups are more specially biased toward a select group of countries I won't mention for many reasons.

Oh bullsh!t. Madrid lost for OTHER reasons. Let's keep in mind that London suffered a terrorist attack ONE day after winning the 2012 Games & the IOC didn't feel like the needed to strip them of the Gamws bcuz of it. The Olympic Games would be a target NO matter where they are held!

You can't compare a terrorist attack that happened before the vote and one that happened after. Especially when the London attack didn't target any critical venue that was needed during the games. The attack in London was a one-off thing and not something that required the entire speculation of the nation's security. In Spain though, that Atocha train station is ridiculously busy, and when I was there in 2012 I saw they were still rebuilding it, mostly the outdoors part. I didn't even realize that was the target of that terror attack until I saw an article about the 10th anniversary of it.

You can't compare a terrorist attack that happened before the vote and one that happened after.

What difference does it make in the end, though, in the grand scheme of things. The point of the matter is, that a terrorist attack can happen anywhere, be it London, Paris, Madrid, Tokyo, New York or Los Angeles or wherever else. No global city is immune to this.

Especially when the London attack didn't target any critical venue that was needed during the games. The attack in London was a one-off thing and not something that required the entire speculation of the nation's security.

I think being able to target a global city's transit network is cause for concern as well. Especially when that network would also be critical for Olympic-time use. But we're not in Olympic mode right now, too. Otherwise, in that case, New York should be off the table in ever being considered for an Olympic Games.

Also, Istanbul 2020 lost as well against Tokyo because of terrorism and the whole Syria Civil War thing (and they admited this was the main factor).

You can't compare having a country as a neighbor who's at civil war (& who's citizens are fleeing in droves to Europe), with this. The two aren't comparable whatsoever.

And lets be honest, certain terrorist groups are more specially biased toward a select group of countries I won't mention for many reasons.

Right, & last time I checked, the U.S. (& many other western countries) is (are) also at the top of that list, which also has a 2024 candidate. So that's a wash right there.

Well, adieu Paris 2024.

And before someone bash my opinion let me remind you the 2004 terrorist attack in Madrid was one of the main reasons their 2005 bid lost. I know the attack shouldn't define how the security would be during the actual games, but it still plays a big factor affecting the decisions of the IOC members during the vote.

Oh please, that's a bunch of revisionism. Madrid 2012 was destined to lose even without the SOG (Barcelona 1992, strong race, lack of appeal...) and even with the terrorist attack, they went in third place losing by just 2 votes.

Sorry: the terrorist attack.

And related to terrorist attacks, in this new age, this happens in global cities and powerful countries right now. Being London, NYC, LA, Paris, Moscow. These cities are always in risk. As Latin mentioned, Tokyo would have stopped the bid after Fukushima, but instead they follow up merging as a catarsis of the tragedy. The real issue will be, how to react and how many changements a country can make for security.

..100 dead at Bataclan alone?

hope this is wrong.

It's not. They were killing them one by one and that's the reason they were rushing in there instead of trying to be strategic about it. I think CNN was reporting that people in the club were texting out that they were being killed one by one, and wanted immediate action before there is no one left. At least 100 dead there, at least 100 people survived.