I just did a quick text survey from 47 IOC members, most of the new ones -- if Paris was still their warmest color. 40 texted oui!!

Oh wait, I think that text went to the 47 bozo GOP members of the US Senate. I'm going to have to text mes amis all over again!! Mierde!!

(Seriously. Just looked at the list. 43 new IOC members have been inducted since 1-01-2000. By 2017, the number could almost reach half. Weird fact: guess who the last member of the 20th century was inducted into the group? Ans below/.

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

Yup, Septic Bladder!! :wacko:

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread is now unreadable.

Rendering of the Olympic stadium (stade de France) and the aquatic center. 

Because Baron.

Some news from the mayor of Paris 2024. (In french sorry)

http://www.leparisien.fr/paris-75/paris-75005/jo-2024-anne-hidalgo-pose-ses-conditions-a-hollande-15-03-2015-4605935.php

To resume, the mayor ask some condition to say "Yes" for a bid.

First one, she ask for public money from government not from the city of Paris. But the government didn't say anything about this point, from the beginning, it should be a Paris bid not a state bid.

She's want to lead the Paris team with some athletes, for the moment it's the minister of sport who want to lead the bid... There is a problem about who is the leader of Paris 2024 (if they bid).

There is a problem with Roland Garros for the tennis, the venue should be modernize but French justice stop the process of modernization plan because it doesn't respect environment impact. Rolland Garros have to find another plan. Moreover the minister of environment is against this modernization but the mayor was for. Last point the minister is the ex-wife of the president...

This last condition seems unrealistic, government can't pass over a justice decision.

Lot of politicians and journalists think that Mayor don't want Paris 2024 and it's the reason why she asks for some unrealistic conditions. She tries to say not to Paris without negative blame from people who are for.

Since the beginning she's against, today is another evidence.

I'm just gonna ignore Tulsa's post, since Hidalgo said last week, and I quote "I want us to go for it [the Games], I'm not going into it being neutral". She's against, really?

She met today with about third representatives from big companies to discuss their support and possible investment for the bid.

However, the city's council decided not to consult the parisians about the bid (no referendum, that is). I'm not sure this is a smart move, but we'll see...

Anyway, let's not rule Paris out of the race so quickly.

A "vote" from where? City Hall, a public poll, both? Do u have a link or article or something.

Maybe from the City's Board of Supervisors or whatever they're called in France; then the French Olympic Committe.

Then maybe a vote of confirmation from the Parliament.

AND then, they could then go to a city or region-wide referendum.

Thanks JO2024. Well, this is huge news!

Paris mayor gives backing to 2024 Games bid

The mayor of Paris on Monday gave her blessing to a bid for the 2024 Olympics and asked local city officials to get to work on shaping a detailed plan for the Games.

Anne Hidalgo, who initially asked for more time to study the possibility after President Francois Hollande publicly backed the idea last November, said she had been convinced by a report produced by French sports officials on the advantages.

"These very useful exchanges confirmed it makes sense for Paris to bid for this unique sporting event," she said in a statement.

Paris is still smarting after losing out on the 2012 Games to London. Boston and Rome have announced their candidacies for 2024 and Hamburg was named as Germany's bidding city at the weekend.

A feasibility study on holding the Games in Paris put the potential cost at 6.2 billion euros ($6.77 billion).

Backers say construction costs would be limited because the Paris region already has top-quality sporting facilities, such as the Roland Garros tennis center and the Stade de France.

France last hosted the Winter Olympics in Albertville in 1992 and the Summer Games in Paris in 1924.

Hidalgo will put the decision to a vote by the Paris city council in April before announcing her final decision. September is the deadline for candidate cities to submit their bids, with the International Olympic Committee due to decide in 2017.

wjjkmv.jpg

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/23/us-olympics-paris-idUSKBN0MJ1VV20150323?feedType=RSS&feedName=sportsNews

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

Because the world revolves around the USA.

Says someone who is not American. I know that some have a perception of us that's what we think, but I certainly don't believe that to be the case.

Is Paris and their bid organizers going to care what's going on in Boston? Probably not. This isn't going to be a case of monkey see monkey do that Paris will follow Boston's lead. They'll probably be thrilled if Boston drops out. 1 less bid in the running that they have to beat out and 1 step closer for them towards winning the 2024 bid.

Indeed, Paris is seeing a possible drop from Boston as an actual chance, "une fenête de tir" to quote them (to be translated pretty much like "launching window").

Here's the site where I get all the info, but it's in French, you might try to translate. It also discuss the other bids for 2024, and future Olympics in general.

http://sportetsociete.org/tag/paris-2024/

Because the world revolves around the USA.

Oh please, you know that's not what I was saying.

I don't see how it would. What does 1 have to do with the other?

It is always a possibility that those against the bid could point to Boston (if Boston were to drop) and say, "If the US can't even host the games and doesn't want the games then why are we trying to get them too. Look at Sochi...". Then again it's a weak argument.

I just really want Paris to not only bid, but win.

Yeah, French politicians do referendums almost only if the constitution requires it.

So the Parisians, or if they (the government) vow to use public funds the French will not get any say beyond elected officials that according to polls are not always truly representative of what the people want?

Says someone who is not American. I know that some have a perception of us that's what we think, but I certainly don't believe that to be the case.

Is Paris and their bid organizers going to care what's going on in Boston? Probably not. This isn't going to be a case of monkey see monkey do that Paris will follow Boston's lead. They'll probably be thrilled if Boston drops out. 1 less bid in the running that they have to beat out and 1 step closer for them towards winning the 2024 bid.

Well it's not as if Boston was ever a serious threat to Paris.

So the Parisians, or if they (the government) vow to use public funds the French will not get any say beyond elected officials that according to polls are not always truly representative of what the people want?

That's why we elect MPs, to debate and make these decisions on our collective behalf. There's nothing strange about that. If the Mayor of Paris is behind it (and she ought to have the interests of Paris in mind) and puts it to the French government and they back it, that's completely democratic.

France, like the UK, doesn't have a tradition of referendums for decisions which don't affect the constitution. An Olympic bid does consume a lot of public money (so do housing, roads, hospitals for that matter), but it's not a constitutional issue so it'll be left to the elected officials.

Of course, if polling suggests there's anti-Olympic feeling or there are actually large protests, then the politicians should listen. But on balance there seems to be a positive but cautious attitude from Parisians as far as I can tell. I don't think going ahead with an Olympic bid at this time without a referendum would be going against the will of the people.

• Like 2

Not sure what polls showed, but I did follow news out of London/England/UK in the years leading up to thge games, and there was much indifference to the games at first. Things started to change with the torch rally, which engendered a huge increase in public patriotism and support for the games. The once the games started, and peope saw all the naysaying not come true, and then when Team GB started to kick ass, support for the games soared.

One of the problems with relying on refferendums is that it is easy to see all the negatives; easy to predict doom and gloom. It's harder to see the good until the games actually arive.

• Like 1

It's quite different once you're given the Games, people don't have much choice but to enjoy and support them. I was living in Oxford in 2012, and it was indeed a great year for England, with the Queen's jubilee, the torch relay and of course the Games. I got to enjoy all of those and it was amazing to feel how the British were proud to be British.

Anyways, so far the polls show that French people are supporting a bid, but it might change. Paris' mayor Hidalgo will make sure to inform and integrate the parisiens in the bid process. She wants to organize meetings, create a website, etc. in order to have people have their say and participate in the bidding process. I'm really looking forward to go to those meetings and check the website!

Oh also, I just remembered I was in London for 2012

Opps, 2012's new year's eve and the fireworks formed the Olympic rings at some point, it was AMAZING!!!