• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread is now unreadable.

Rendering of the Olympic stadium (stade de France) and the aquatic center. 

Because Baron.

Madrid is NOT bidding a 4th time. The 2024 field will most likely be Baku, Doha and Los Angeles (if Paris is a big question mark and Durban is still sitting out). Istanbul is NOT a viable candidate. It is just too dense to stage a streamlined present-day SOGs.

Rome?

What's their situation?

An American bid still has lots of hurdles to overcome. I think we are more likely to see Baku unopposed than LA unopposed.

Just imagine Almaty 2022 followed by Baku 2024! Yowzah.

I already mentioned that Rome's issue could once again be government backing.

An American bid still has lots of hurdles to overcome. I think we are more likely to see Baku unopposed than LA unopposed.

Careful. Otherwise you could get accused of 'having an appetite against American bids'. ;-P

Istanbul is NOT a viable candidate. It is just too dense to stage a streamlined present-day SOGs.

I think Istanbul can find a way to make it work. There will be longer travel times and the Games won't be particularly compact, but I don't see that as the end of the world. The problem is the government. If I were the IOC I would not get in bed with Erdogan. Then again, they snuggled right up to Putin. Maybe that's their type.

But there were stories earlier this year that mentioned the government was more open to an Olympic bid. There was just no conclusive determination.

Italian PM has changed again in the meantime, apparently much less warm to spending money for that.

I think Istanbul can find a way to make it work. There will be longer travel times and the Games won't be particularly compact, but I don't see that as the end of the world. The problem is the government. If I were the IOC I would not get in bed with Erdogan. Then again, they snuggled right up to Putin. Maybe that's their type.

Same type or not, Erdogan simply doesn't have the same behind-the-stage strings to pull as Putin. The latter has his own network in international sports organisations, and I doubt Erdogan cares for anything but Fenerbahce in sports. The IOC is not under his influence.

Hm. Will be interesting to see if Rome flip- flops again or not.

Totally agree regarding Istanbul's chances. I wouldn't put it past Erdogan to try to cozy up to the IOC, but I can't see it working -- not if LA and/ or Paris are in the picture.

After doing some further research, I can't find any source confirming that Rome is sitting out 2024 or even that the bid is in serious jeopardy. As near as I can tell, they are moving forward -- at least for the time being.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

IF they decide to bid

IF they have a decent plan

IF they have enough support

Y'know, the centennial Olympics were held Atlanta, and not Athens (despite Athens bidding), which leads to the next points:

What is this 'winning' plan?

How is everything planned out?

Is the IOC going to like it?

How will Paris deal with possible New-Frontier-Durban?

But I mean, it's okay, It's Paris' 100 Olympics, so even the most crappiest plan would be a winning bid; even if it's up against possibly strong candidates, it's going to be A-OK :rolleyes:

This Paris' 100 year break! They deserve to win this!

• Like 1

IF they decide to bid

Y'know, the centennial Olympics were held Atlanta, and not Athens (despite Athens bidding), which leads to the next points:

But I mean, it's okay, It's Paris' 100 Olympics, so even the most crappiest plan would be a winning bid; even if it's up against possibly strong candidates, it's going to be A-OK :rolleyes:

If Paris does their plan right they could turn the Centennial into a positive thing. If they use it like Athens did then good luck France.

IF they decide to bid

Athens bid 1996 was too arrogant, they based only in the centennoal point and they thought this only would be enough to win. A characteristic fact was that one member of greek olympic commitee had demanded that Olympic games should had been awarded to Athens without voting!!

I think it's a very bad idea to go with a "centennial" approach for Paris 2024.

1996 was special because it was the centennial of the very first modern Games. In the overall picture, that's much more relevant than any subsequent host going for their own centennial, celebrating Games that may not be remembered much even in that host city.

If Paris tells the IOC "it's 100 years since we last hosted, it's bloody time to give it to us", they might just as well stay home. An approach towards the future is needed, not resting on long-faded past laurels.

• Like 3

I agree. The IOC knows exactly how long it's been since Paris hosted. The bid (if there is one) can offer a quiet nod to the 1924 Games and that's all that's needed. "You owe us" will never work.

Based on all the recent polls and the statements coming out of the mayor's office, I'd say odds are that Paris won't bid. Have to wait and see.

I agree. The IOC knows exactly how long it's been since Paris hosted. The bid (if there is one) can offer a quiet nod to the 1924 Games and that's all that's needed. "You owe us" will never work.

Based on all the recent polls and the statements coming out of the mayor's office, I'd say odds are that Paris won't bid. Have to wait and see.

Yeah, the polls and statements really don't indicate there is a strong wish in Paris to bid at all. There aren't many potential bids approaching 2024 with enthusiasm though, not even US and SA seem to have made their minds up really, not to mention Germany or Italy.

I fear a repeat of 2022 with some obvious faves not bidding or withdrawing by lack of support. Roll on Baku!

Yeah, the polls and statements really don't indicate there is a strong wish in Paris to bid at all. There aren't many potential bids approaching 2024 with enthusiasm though, not even US and SA seem to have made their minds up really, not to mention Germany or Italy.

I fear a repeat of 2022 with some obvious faves not bidding or withdrawing by lack of support. Roll on Baku!

I think a lot of people are waiting to see the outcome of Agenda 2020. Depending on what the IOC does, it could really change the bid landscape. Hard to get excited about bidding when you don't know what the rules of the game are.

I don't think there's any question the USOC wants to bid -- as long as they feel they'll get a fair shake. SASOC seems eager to bid, but they always add "or 2028," showing they're not totally committed. Plus, government support is uncertain. Rome mentioned their interest and hasn't retracted it -- at least not yet. Paris is sounding quite unenthused. Istanbul could well be back. Doha is dubious, depending on what happens with Qatar 2022. A German bid seems possible too.

LIKELY:

USA

Baku

POSSIBLE:

Istanbul

Durban

Berlin

Rome

Doha

UNLIKELY:

Paris

Toronto

I'm guessing there will be at least 3 bids for 2024 and probably more.

I think a lot of people are waiting to see the outcome of Agenda 2020. Depending on what the IOC does, it could really change the bid landscape. Hard to get excited about bidding when you don't know what the rules of the game are.

I don't think there's any question the USOC wants to bid -- as long as they feel they'll get a fair shake. SASOC seems eager to bid, but they always add "or 2028," showing they're not totally committed. Plus, government support is uncertain. Rome mentioned their interest and hasn't retracted it -- at least not yet. Paris is sounding quite unenthused. Istanbul could well be back. Doha is dubious, depending on what happens with Qatar 2022. A German bid seems possible too.

LIKELY:

USA

Baku

POSSIBLE:

Istanbul

Durban

Berlin

Rome

Doha

UNLIKELY:

Paris

Toronto

I'm guessing there will be at least 3 bids for 2024 and probably more.

You forgot Hamburg, they seem more excited to bid then Berlin.