Paris 2024

6 hours ago, Cyriln said:

The official Paris 2024 video game has been released, Olympics Go! Paris 2024. Goodbye Mario and Sonic, it's a mobile game now: the IOC changed its strategy concerning video games, which are now just another way to promote the Olympic brand. So lower your expectations.

I tried the game 20 minutes. Graphics are bad, but I thought it would be even worse. Gameplay is bad too, with a special award to the shooting game where you have to aim, wait for the target to slowly reach the point you aimed at and then shoot, so hilarious.

Also, it's a mix between sports mini-games and a city builder: haven't you ever dreamed to build a fast-food stand in front of the Stade de France? And there are micropayments too, it's a mobile game after all.

At least, it's free, so you can give it a try.

Wait wait wait: there are Phryges in the game. Best game ever!

There’s never been a good “Official” Olympic video game. Even when they brought in Mario and Sonic, they were just boring cash-ins destined for the bargain bins.

Wii Sports was the best Olympic sports game that was never an official Olympic video game. Don’t know why the IOC never teamed up with Nintendo. 

And the irony is, now the IOC are masking their ham-fisted attempt to set up their own Olympic E-Games, a few of the “sports” on their e-games roster are actually Wii Sports knock-oops.

Of course, previous video games were not the best games in the world, but they were okay enough. This one is way below that. That's what could be expected for a random game from a random publisher with a random character that only has a nice picture on the store to make people click on it. But it's not a random thing, it's the Olympics. It should have been better. I just saw someone streaming the game on Twitch and everyone in the chat was laughing at the game. How do you expect to make your brand stronger with that?

We won't have "big" Olympic video games, party-game style, anymore. Except FIFA/EA FC and maybe NBA 2K, sports video games aren't hype anymore. A free mobile game is the right thing to do. But not with a dozen mini-games that look outdated and nothing else. The first very basic thing that comes to my mind: Olympic Games are a competition, make players compete. The only multiplayer feature is a ranking showing who played the most, that's lame.

And there should be such more things to do. Just an idea: mobiles can detect when you walk, run or bike: make it a feature in your sports video game. On Olympics website, there is a section Let's move, that's something you want to promote so do it in your video game, dammit. You'll promote your brand, you'll promote your values and there are way more chances that people will interact with it, instead of that thing that nobody will play more than a week.

• Like 1

This was posted on SSC as well. It’s quite an interesting tour around the building work now going on…

It really gave a sense just how much the centre of Paris itself is going to be an Olympic Park

Edited by Sir Rols

12 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I’ve just been wondering about that top image from La Concorde. That round, tented structure? Any theories?

3x3 Basketball is usually held under a round tented structure, so probably that

• Thanks 1

random thought but I wonder if the stands used for the urban sports at Place de la Concorde will be the same ones used for the Paralympic opening ceremony

The tent structure is a "canope" and yes it is a requirement for basketball 3x3 (Filed of Play will also be used for Breaking).

The stands will be slightly reconfigured for the Opening Ceremony of the Paralympic Games (and the canope will be removed).

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

This was posted on SSC as well. It’s quite an interesting tour around the building work now going on…

It really gave a sense just how much the centre of Paris itself is going to be an Olympic Park

Thank you for sharing this.

Not as closed off for construction that I had expected. Still, it looks like that I'd have had twice as long to walk to work if I still had lived in Paris.

• Like 1

How can it not be one of the great Olympics in these settings? I especially love the use of Place de la Concorde, the urban sports were very enjoyable in Tokyo but with full stands in the place they're meant to be - the heart of the city - they'll be elevated to absolute highlights here :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sebastien1214 said:

I think we can't be more true than that when we talk about holding the Games in the heart of the city.

I’d of course read all about the plans to make this a city centre games, but it’s really only been with the pics and videos this week that I’ve truly realised just how true this is going to be. Remarkable!

I know I’ve said recently that it doesn’t matter what city or monuments the games play out in front of, but I’ll eat my words. This is looking to be a spectacular setting! Getting excited 😝 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I’d of course read all about the plans to make this a city centre games, but it’s really only been with the pics and videos this week that I’ve truly realised just how true this is going to be. Remarkable!

I know I've said recently that it doesn’t matter what city or monuments the games play out in front of, but I’ll eat my words. This is looking to be a spectacular setting! Getting excited 😝 

Yes you did! (particularly in relation to Brisbane 2032). So Bon Appetit!! :P

2 hours ago, FYI said:

Yes you did! (particularly in relation to Brisbane 2032). So Bon Appetit!! :P

Lol! Trust you to leap on that.

But, c’mon. It’s not like there’s a surfeit of cities who can do what Paris is doing. Unless you’re going to make Paris the permanent Olympic capital (I’m sure the original Baron Pierre wouldn’t have minded), you’re going to get hosts that don’;t have the Parisian sex appeal. 

And it’s not like the major blue riband sports like athletics, swimming and gymnastics play out in anything but stadiums and halls where the only sign of location is the “”Look” decorations.

Edited by Sir Rols

A few more images of other temporary locations. Les Invalides for archery events (and the start of the individual road time trial for cycling):

spacer.png

The gardens of the Château de Versailles for horse riding:

spacer.png

The Alexandre-III bridge (the finish of the individual road time trial for cycling, triathlon and open water swimming events):

spacer.png

• Like 2

Merci! Do you know if there will be parts of the triathlon course (cycling/running) where the public will be able to see the athletes outside the ticketing areas? Looking at the map, around Musée d'Orsay or Champs Elysées maybe? Or are crowds completely shut out?

10 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Merci! Do you know if there will be parts of the triathlon course (cycling/running) where the public will be able to see the athletes outside the ticketing areas? Looking at the map, around Musée d'Orsay or Champs Elysées maybe? Or are crowds completely shut out?

Theoretically, outside the arrival/departure zones (thus with paid tickets), the public can be at the edge of the streets/the Seine to see the athletes. 

There will be a security perimeter that will cover the entire route, but I believe that only vehicles will need a QR Code, pedestrians should not need to ask for one (unlike the opening ceremony or pedestrians must also have one)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Are the stands now being built on the river for the opening ceremony? Didn't you say June would be the date we'd know for sure what plan they're pursuing?

It starts tomorrow! They delayed slightly in order to limit disruptions in the city.

The city of Paris has made a very detailed page (in English and French) which presents the closure schedule with lots of maps and other information:

https://www.paris.fr/en/pages/olympic-games-opening-ceremony-security-and-traffic-information-27056

• Thanks 1