Jump to content

Paris 2024


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Guilga said:

Bit off topic, but i have to say, your TV public broadcaster has really nice stuff on it! While we wait for the relay broadcasts, i would also reccomend to a watch Aux Jeux Citoyens of France.3, a pretty nice magazine about the build up for the games. Too bad that you need a VPN to watch this with subtitles, but if anyone is already going to use a VPN to watch the olympic channel...

Subtitles? What, in English?! I discovered today that our Antivirus program comes with a VPN with country choice included, so if I can install it on my TV or my phone (can't be doing with watching TV on a laptop), I can profit. 

I love that idea of broadcasting old opening ceremonies in the build up, the BBC should totally do that. I know they're all on YouTube but a bit of commentary (especially from the master Barry Davies like the 2012 YouTube one & any older ones the BBC would have) does help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Subtitles? What, in English?!

No, just in french, but this does help on understand things! Better than a dodgy livestream anyway.  Sorry for the confusion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

"he or she" "his or her"

is it so hard to just say "they" and "their"???? this entire article is so weirdly written... never share an article from ITG ever again pls

 I've seen that kind of weird language on other websites before, not just ITG's. It seems like it's been very recent too, so wonder if it's some kind of bad AI translators.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Guilga said:

No, just in french, but this does help on understand things! Better than a dodgy livestream anyway.  Sorry for the confusion

Still helpful, my French isn't great when it comes to understanding native speakers at full speed but subtitles would really help with getting the gist of what they're saying :)

(Although tbh watching foreign TV, especially big entertainment shows like this - if without a VPN, when they let you - is still fun even when you can't understand anything at all - I recommend it :lol:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, FYI said:

 I've seen that kind of weird language on other websites before, not just ITG's. It seems like it's been very recent too, so wonder if it's some kind of bad AI translators.

Considering the source, I wouldn’t put it past the new owners to be consciously using such terms as their part of the culture wars to negate gender-inclusive language.

Then again, that might be reading too much into it. It’s been a common enough term until recently in my lifetime, that it didn’t leap out at me at all when my eyes skimmed over it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Guilga said:

Bit off topic, but i have to say, your TV public broadcaster has really nice stuff on it! While we wait for the relay broadcasts, i would also reccomend to a watch Aux Jeux Citoyens of France.3, a pretty nice magazine about the build up for the games. Too bad that you need a VPN to watch this with subtitles, but if anyone is already going to use a VPN to watch the olympic channel...

Yeah, I think that the French public service (France Télévisions) does a really good job. Well, obviously, the fact that the Games are organized at home required them to pull out all the stops, but at least they don't disappoint.

On the dedicated live channel which will be launched tomorrow on the france.tv site, here is the TV schedule:

During the day and early evening:
- The flame's journey will be broadcast in full, from 8 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- From 7:30 p.m., the program “Les Bleus dans les yeux” will take over. These are portraits of athletes preparing for the Olympics.
- At 8:30 p.m., the channel will go live again and co-broadcast “Aux Citoyens”.

In prime time:
- Monday will be dedicated to the opening ceremonies.
- Tuesday will be reserved for the Cultural Olympiad.
- Wednesday will be for documentaries, between sport, history, health, etc...
- Thursday : ?
- Friday will be dedicated to a great epic of the Blues (match of the "Barjots" for the bronze medal in 1992, victorious match of the French football team against Brazil in 1984, or the volleyball title tricolors in Tokyo in 2021).
- Saturday will be dedicated to great moments of the Games, which have now become legendary, such as Brazil-Germany in 2016, or the pole vault competition in 1984.
- Sunday will be synonymous with the "Film of the Games", a retrospective which will look back on the most significant moments of an edition of the Olympic Games.

And yes, indeed, this will perhaps be the first time in history where the torch relay will be broadcast entirely live. Well, at the same time, France Télévisions is also the broadcaster of the Tour de France and it's a bit like the Tour de France so they're used to it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uh-oh.  Franc/Macron is hiding construction deaths (as in the deaths of many migrant workers building Qatar 2022) related to Paris 2024 . . .  quelle tragique!! 

France Says It Built the Olympics Safely. Migrant Workers Don’t Count. - The New York Times (nytimes.com) 

(Here's part of the article for those who cannot get into it.)  

France Says It Built the Olympics Safely. Migrant Workers Don’t Count.

Undocumented workers played a larger and more dangerous role in delivering the Games than the Macron administration acknowledges.
 

France’s president, Emmanuel Macron, promised to build the Summer Olympics safely, free of the construction hazards and migrant worker abuses that tarnished soccer’s 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Months before the Games begin in Paris, he declared success.

“We are living up to the commitments we made,” Mr. Macron said in February.

Government data shows fewer than 200 injuries at Olympics sites over a four-year construction blitz. And no deaths.

But inspection records and other documents show that Olympics sites have been more dangerous than organizers have let on, with some projects failing to meet basic safety standards. When undocumented immigrants are hurt on the job, workers and officials say, the injuries are often handled off the books, all but guaranteeing that they will not show up in government statistics.

 

ADVERTISEMENT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Uh-oh.  Franc/Macron is hiding construction deaths (as in the deaths of many migrant workers building Qatar 2022) related to Paris 2024 . . .  quelle tragique!! 

France Says It Built the Olympics Safely. Migrant Workers Don’t Count. - The New York Times (nytimes.com) 

(Here's part of the article for those who cannot get into it.)  

France Says It Built the Olympics Safely. Migrant Workers Don’t Count.

Undocumented workers played a larger and more dangerous role in delivering the Games than the Macron administration acknowledges.
 

France’s president, Emmanuel Macron, promised to build the Summer Olympics safely, free of the construction hazards and migrant worker abuses that tarnished soccer’s 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Months before the Games begin in Paris, he declared success.

“We are living up to the commitments we made,” Mr. Macron said in February.

Government data shows fewer than 200 injuries at Olympics sites over a four-year construction blitz. And no deaths.

But inspection records and other documents show that Olympics sites have been more dangerous than organizers have let on, with some projects failing to meet basic safety standards. When undocumented immigrants are hurt on the job, workers and officials say, the injuries are often handled off the books, all but guaranteeing that they will not show up in government statistics.

ADVERTISEMENT

I would add to that the fact that the French government is lying (what a surprise!) when they say that there were no deaths on the construction sites, since for the construction of the Austerlitz basin (for the recovery of water from rain in order to make the Seine cleaner), there was one death. So yes, perhaps there will not be a sporting event in this pool, but in the meantime without the Olympics, this pool would probably not have been built, or at least not for many years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, alochiol said:

Any news about the Olympic rings on the Eiffel Tower? I read somewhere that they would be installed at the end of April
 

Should be end of May, early June.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A five-episode documentary series, that will be focused on the organization of the Games, is also planned. The first three episodes will be broadcasted before the Olympics. As for the film, it is scheduled to be released on January 2025.

https://www.leparisien.fr/jo-paris-2024/jo-paris-2024-les-freres-naudet-realiseront-une-serie-et-un-film-sur-les-coulisses-des-jeux-21-05-2024-HOIWOSFPB5BQPOZAQR6U2LN2DY.php

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Cyriln said:

A five-episode documentary series, that will be focused on the organization of the Games, is also planned. The first three episodes will be broadcasted before the Olympics. As for the film, it is scheduled to be released on January 2025.

https://www.leparisien.fr/jo-paris-2024/jo-paris-2024-les-freres-naudet-realiseront-une-serie-et-un-film-sur-les-coulisses-des-jeux-21-05-2024-HOIWOSFPB5BQPOZAQR6U2LN2DY.php

The article says that it is a first in the history of the Olympics that there is a series in addition to a film. We feel the influence that Netflix and others have today...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sebastien1214 said:

The article says that it is a first in the history of the Olympics that there is a series in addition to a film. We feel the influence that Netflix and others have today...

Both Sydney and London inspired TV series - though in a more satirical vein…

 


 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sir Rols said:

Both Sydney and London inspired TV series - though in a more satirical vein…

 


 

Paris is no exception to this tradition; not with a satirical series, but a satirical film, "The Coubertin Spirit", released this year:

"After ten days of competition, the Games were a fiasco for the French delegation which failed to win a gold medal. All hopes of the title now rest on Paul, world shooting champion but an immature and not very smart athlete As the competition approaches, he is forced to share his room with a swimmer who seems more preoccupied with the extra-sporting temptations of the village than with his race."

One of the posters for the film is very... French, let's say it.

spacer.png

(and the fact that in France, either we use the name of Coubertin to make fun of the Games, or we mention the controversies about him, that says a lot about the very low place that we give to Coubertin on the occasion of these Games).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sebastien1214 said:

As the competition approaches, he is forced to share his room with a swimmer who seems more preoccupied with the extra-sporting temptations of the village than with his race.

That sounds like a documentary of what really does go down in the Village :P

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lol, it is the City of Love :lol: (I wonder what proportion of the world's condom supply they've ordered) I haven't watched the Sydney one but Twenty Twelve is a classic - Siobhan Sharpe is one of the all time great British comedy characters :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I wonder what proportion of the world's condom supply they've ordered

They’ve ordered 200,000. The Brazilians, however, say they went through 450,000 at Rio. Maybe they’re counting on the Anti-Sex beds to make a difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...