Jump to content

Paris 2024


Recommended Posts

The Paris 2024 Public Transport app has been released. It's available on Android and iOS. It's a revamped version of the classic Parisian transportation app, with specific maps and shortcuts to competition sites. Note that, by default, the app will not always indicate the shortest route, but the most efficient one, to limit congestion.The purchase of transport tickets in the app is not available yet, it is planned for June.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paris to face major disruption ahead of Games opening ceremony, says police chief


https://www.reuters.com/sports/paris-face-major-disruption-ahead-games-opening-ceremony-says-police-chief-2024-04-25/


Must admit, the sign-up to an online platform just to get into your own residence a week before the OC has to be extremely annoying. Understandable, but still annoying.

Just gives even more ammunition to all those naysayers that the Olympics only bring about big costs & massive disruption. (but then again, it’s this type of never-been-done-before OC that’s causing even more than usual disruption).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, FYI said:

Must admit, the sign-up to an online platform just to get into your own residence a week before the OC has to be extremely annoying. Understandable, but still annoying.

It’s a two-edged sword. I used to live right up close to one of the prime viewing areas/parks for watching the New Years Eve fireworks on Sydney Harbour. It meant that late December each year I’d have to make a trip to the council offices to get a special permit to allow me to drive my car home on December 31 (all roads into the suburb were blocked after midday on that day). 

Yeah, it was a slight annoyance (I expect these days you can probably do it online though). On the plus side, though, it meant I just had to walk up to the end of m street to have a prime vantage/picnic spot to view the show each year. And meant I was popular for friends to come over and spend NYE with me.

I expect the same for Paris - there were already news articles pushing fears that the balconies of the Seine-side apartments might be too old to handle the crowds likely to show up to watch the show live from friends’ places.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Ok you've got me... what's with the giant number 13? :blink:

This is the number of the Bouches-du-Rhône department, the one where there is Marseille. We are very attached in France to these departments (and their numbers), so much so that for certain departments it is common that we call them by their number rather than by their name (example: 9-3, Seine-Saint-Denis).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sebastien1214 said:

This is the number of the Bouches-du-Rhône department, the one where there is Marseille. We are very attached in France to these departments (and their numbers), so much so that for certain departments it is common that we call them by their number rather than by their name (example: 9-3, Seine-Saint-Denis).

Ahhh, I see! I didn't know there was a shorthand code - I guess the numbers are shorter to say than the names :lol: Marseille is really going to town on the celebrations, gotta love a capital/second city rivalry!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Marseille is really going to town on the celebrations, gotta love a capital/second city rivalry!

Well, the Paris/Marseille rivalry is HUGE, it's a big symbol for the flame relay of the Paris Games to start in Marseille and yeah, Marseille is going to do a lot of things about the flame arrival to prove itself.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Ahhh, I see! I didn't know there was a shorthand code - I guess the numbers are shorter to say than the names :lol: Marseille is really going to town on the celebrations, gotta love a capital/second city rivalry!

Yeah, it might play into the Paris/Marseille rivalry. In addition, groups of OM supporters will participate in the ceremony, and by chance of the calendar it turns out that the next day OM plays the semi-final second leg of the Europa League, which gives even more importance to these two days of May 8 & 9 (since the flame remains in Marseille on May 9, the day... of the semi-final*).

I hope that there will also be a drone show for May 8, and that it's not just today: while we're at it, let's put absolutely everything we can into May 8 so that it really is a 5th ceremony worthy of the name. Well, I say that, but I wonder if there is already a country that has already done the same in the past for the arrival of the Olympic flame in the host country. We might already be doing too much, lol.

And speaking of all that, we now know the name of the first bearer of the flame on French soil: it will be... Florent Manaudou.

*(and guess who is also playing a European Cup semi-final the day before May 8? Paris...)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sebastien1214 said:

I hope that there will also be a drone show for May 8, and that it's not just today

The company that made today's show will have another one on May 7, don't know if there will be drones again or just fireworks. (By the way, that company already participated in Torino 2006 and Rio 2016 ceremonies, so they know Olympics)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, sebastien1214 said:

Yeah, it might play into the Paris/Marseille rivalry. In addition, groups of OM supporters will participate in the ceremony, and by chance of the calendar it turns out that the next day OM plays the semi-final second leg of the Europa League, which gives even more importance to these two days of May 8 & 9 (since the flame remains in Marseille on May 9, the day... of the semi-final*).

I hope that there will also be a drone show for May 8, and that it's not just today: while we're at it, let's put absolutely everything we can into May 8 so that it really is a 5th ceremony worthy of the name. Well, I say that, but I wonder if there is already a country that has already done the same in the past for the arrival of the Olympic flame in the host country. We might already be doing too much, lol.

And speaking of all that, we now know the name of the first bearer of the flame on French soil: it will be... Florent Manaudou.

*(and guess who is also playing a European Cup semi-final the day before May 8? Paris...)

OM fans can be notable in a bad way sometimes, but they do put on a spectacular show in the Velodrome. Should be particularly special if they're in the semi final. 

I mean obviously a grand firework & drone show was gonna be obligatory for the flame celebration in Marseille (& tbh probably every large city staging a torch stop), but I must admit to wondering why they were doing it in the wrong week...May 8 is surely the big day if it's gonna be a 5th ceremony broadcast worldwide. 

Well I can only go on 2012, & unless there's something I'm forgetting, the arrival of the torch in the UK was at Land's End on a Friday morning, live on BBC Breakfast, & all that happened was I think it was Beckham (might've been someone else but I think it was Beckham) lighting a cauldron. Nothing spectacular. Certainly nothing like Marseille - but that's not a criticism of France at all, you're doing it properly. Spectacle is a French word after all ;)

Edited by yoshi
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I must admit to wondering why they were doing it in the wrong week...May 8 is surely the big day if it's gonna be a 5th ceremony broadcast worldwide. 

As May 9 is also a public holiday this year in France (for Ascension Day, which, by chance of the calendar, falls the day after May 8 which is also a public holiday), I think that the organizing committee wanted take advantage of this sequence of two public holidays, given that the flame will also remain in Marseille on May 9.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The video needs an account, but the still pics look great. Builds anticipation for what they'll be able to do in the opening ceremony proper. Do we know what kind of spectacles other major cities are putting on for the torch yet or is it all about Marseille until it lands? If OM play the home leg of the Europa League semi on May 9, might the torch go inside the Velodrome? 

(And I wonder how long it'll be before pangs of regret are felt in the Lyon area...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, yoshi said:

The video needs an account, but the still pics look great. Builds anticipation for what they'll be able to do in the opening ceremony proper. Do we know what kind of spectacles other major cities are putting on for the torch yet or is it all about Marseille until it lands? If OM play the home leg of the Europa League semi on May 9, might the torch go inside the Velodrome? 

(And I wonder how long it'll be before pangs of regret are felt in the Lyon area...)

It is planned that on May 9, the flame will be taken to the roof of the Vélodrome, but in any case the semi-final will unfortunately be played in Italy.

I do not believe that for other large French cities there will be celebrations of the same importance as in Marseille. I know that Coca-Cola, one of the two sponsors of the torch relay, will organize around ten concerts in around ten cities. Afterwards, I imagine that a large part of the cities which see the flame pass will take the opportunity to organize small celebrations on the scale of their city, but I think that this has always been the case in the past in the other host countries .

Otherwise, for the night of July 14 (Bastille Day), for its first visit to Paris, the Olympic flame will be installed in the City Hall which will be open to the public throughout the night*

For Lyon, they will be able to console themselves with the Paralympic flame. But let's be honest, it's not the same enthusiasm.

*https://www.francetvinfo.fr/les-jeux-olympiques/paris-2024/paris-2024-l-hotel-de-ville-de-paris-ouvert-au-public-la-nuit-du-14-juillet-pour-veiller-la-flamme-olympique_6503585.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, yoshi said:

@sebastien1214 is it possible to set up an account with France Television from the UK, I can see on the link you posted that it's free? 

I just tested with a US VPN: I can create an account (you have to put a postal code: use 92300, 89500, 03400... things like that) without problems. Then, I had no problem watching live, but on the other hand watching streaming videos it was geoblocked. So if you're just planning to see live streaming normally that's fine, if you want to watch the videos again in streaming you'd have to use a french VPN.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, I'll try that out - are those like placeholder postcodes, it won't know that it's not real lol :P

(I must say though, that is really really weird - live broadcasts are fine, but catch-up is blocked?! I'd have thought it'd be the other way round if anything...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a video of the preview of the festivities that took place yesterday, which you can find here:

https://sportetsociete.org/2024/04/27/paris-2024-show-pyrotechnique-et-800-drones-en-prelude-de-larrivee-de-la-flamme/

Probably a video from Paris 2024, given that their Twitter account seems to take an extract from this same video. Also note in the tweet how they name the department.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Department 13, who even needs names anyway :P Anyway, found a partial video on YouTube - must admit I find fireworks can be a bit seen one, seen them all, but those spark trails off the drones are COOL. And the rings too, although hopefully they haven't just spoiled Paris' ring reveal :ph34r:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, yoshi said:

And the rings too, although hopefully they haven't just spoiled Paris' ring reveal :ph34r:

No risk: normally the rings appear at the beginning (or at least in the first half) of the OOC; knowing that two thirds of the OOC will take place with daylight/sunset (because the start is at 7:30 p.m., in broad daylight), I have a hard time seeing how drones could make the rings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah yeah good point...I guess we haven't really had a modern style ring reveal in full daylight before, even London was sort of very cloudy dusk. But then we haven't had a ceremony on a river before either. I assume that the main rings will be in the Tower?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...