Paris 2024

1h30 since the ceremony and still not the slightest sarcastic comment in the French media to say that the presence of clouds in Olympia is a bad omen for the Olympic Games: my country disappoints me.

All joking aside, here is the real start of the countdown. Your prediction for the first torchbearer on French soil, in Marseille? Zidane seems obvious to me, but we can be surprised.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sebastien1214 said:

1h30 since the ceremony and still not the slightest sarcastic comment in the French media to say that the presence of clouds in Olympia is a bad omen for the Olympic Games: my country disappoints me.

All joking aside, here is the real start of the countdown. Your prediction for the first torchbearer on French soil, in Marseille? Zidane seems obvious to me, but we can be surprised.

Nagano, Sydney, Salt Lake City all had the back up flame utilized. Not sure about Torino.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cfm Jeremie said:

Yes, they used the back-up flamme lit yesterday during the rehearsal... just like for Sydney 2000 ;-)

As was the flame for Grenoble 1968.  Because it was raining that day, they actually moved the Ceremony indoors, inside the old Olympia Museum -- making Grenoble 1968 the first & only time it was lit/conveyed indoors!!  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

2 hours ago, sebastien1214 said:

Don't say it too loud, you may give them the idea...

More seriously, all TV channels want to broadcast the arrival of the flame in Marseille, they won't denigrate it now: France Télévisions (official broadcaster of the Games), TF1 (biggest commercial TV channel), and BFM TV (main news channel) will broadcast the celebrations in Marseille, and other TV channels are still in talk.

Told you this would happen! As soon as it becomes real with the torch the cynics start to melt, just like London (iirc the Olympia ceremony in 2012 was a bit of a non event to our media, it started getting attention when it hit Land's End, so you're starting early). The problem for the IOC getting cities interested is that this feeling in the immediate build up is very hard to describe until it happens & everyone realises they like it. One of the IOC's rare masterstrokes was giving all the 2012 candidates a stop on the Athens torch relay - the coverage of that was the first time I was aware of London 2012, & it really seemed to capture the imagination. Bring on May 8!

56 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Told you this would happen! As soon as it becomes real with the torch the cynics start to melt, just like London (iirc the Olympia ceremony in 2012 was a bit of a non event to our media, it started getting attention when it hit Land's End, so you're starting early). The problem for the IOC getting cities interested is that this feeling in the immediate build up is very hard to describe until it happens & everyone realises they like it. One of the IOC's rare masterstrokes was giving all the 2012 candidates a stop on the Athens torch relay - the coverage of that was the first time I was aware of London 2012, & it really seemed to capture the imagination. Bring on May 8!

Let's not underestimate our ability, as French people, to complain all the time and in all circumstances! In addition, the anxiety-provoking climate created by government communication does not help.

For May 8, a brand new illustrative image has just been released:

spacer.png

With some additional details about the day's program revealed. Like for example around 3 p.m. a show at the Château d'If, when the Belem and the 1024 boats accompanying it will pass in front of:

spacer.png

Around 150,000 people are expected. OM supporter groups are in discussions with the city to deploy large tifos when Belem arrives at the port; there is no doubt that this will make the “5th ceremony” truly Marseille.

I understood that it was the IOC (via OBS) which is responsible for the TV broadcast of this “ceremony”. Let's see how non-French people will be able to see all this (direct on YouTube? sale of TV rights?).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sebastien1214 said:

I understood that it was the IOC (via OBS) which is responsible for the TV broadcast of this “ceremony”. Let's see how non-French people will be able to see all this (direct on YouTube? sale of TV rights?).

France Télévisions will be the producer at Marseille (and probably for most of the flame relay), the IOC let them manage the broadcasting rights at least for France.

2 minutes ago, Cyriln said:

France Télévisions will be the producer at Marseille (and probably for most of the flame relay), the IOC let them manage the broadcasting rights at least for France.

Oh, ok, I actually thought it was IOC who produced this with this negotiation story between them and France Télévisions. This better explains why I saw that other French television channels wanted to negotiate with France Télévisions, I found that surprising. I still hope that the IOC will find a way to broadcast this day to other countries.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Cyriln said:

The English=language France24 broadcast of the Lighting of the Flame at Olympia (or at least as I saw it on UTube) was the WORST I have seen in years.  The commentators just kept on yakking and yakking while important and solemn parts of the LIVE ceremony was going on.  Their coverage, IMHO, totally diminished and suffocated the import of the occasion--reducing it to nothing but "I love to hear myself talk . . .:  And even if I tried to mute the commentary, it also would have shut off the music accompanying the proceedings.  I was quite embarrassed to see the IOC name above it.  It was just TERRIBLE--worse than any NBC coverage.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

53 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

I guess the commentator was Tony E himself. He was also directing the ceremony, doing camerawork and pushing the clouds into position right on time for the occasion, amazing.

We were obviously watching different events.  If it was Tony E on my broadcast, I would have called him out.  But he was not.  Were you watching a HAMAS or ISIS broadcast?? :lol:

• Confused 1

Olympics are the perfect occasion to discover a country. So, here's one of our traditions: the dictation. Used to torture children teach orthography and grammar in schools, it is also practiced by people of all ages for fun.

Of course, one has been organized to celebrate the Games, gathering 3000 people on the Champ-de-Mars and broadcasted on prime time TV.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 7:29 PM, yoshi said:

If Bach put half the effort into getting bids for the Olympic Games as he puts into his bid for the Nobel Peace Prize, we might have a functional bid process & shorter speeches...

Amen!

His way of trying to turn the Olympic movement into some kind of Holy See / UN type body is nauseating. 

Can't wait for the condescending platitudes about peace and harmony from a tubby Kraut at the Opening Ceremony of Paris 2024 while the world is in turmoil.

16 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Amen!

His way of trying to turn the Olympic movement into some kind of Holy See / UN type body is nauseating. 

Can't wait for the condescending platitudes about peace and harmony from a tubby Kraut at the Opening Ceremony of Paris 2024 while the world is in turmoil.

The „tubby Kraut“ bit was really quite unnecessary. There‘s many ways to describe Fencing 1976 without using stereotypes of a country where he‘s not even well-regarded anyway.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

The „tubby Kraut“ bit was really quite unnecessary. There‘s many ways to describe Fencing 1976 without using stereotypes of a country where he‘s not even well-regarded anyway.

Apologies for coming off xenophobic, it was an offhand comment. By yeah, my sincere apologies. I love Germany/Germans. 

• Thanks 1

What do you guys want Bach (or whomever is in that position) to do?  If there's anyone in the Olympic echelons I question, it's Tony Estanguet and his impractical, megalomaniac dreams.  As if someone else in place of Bach would handle things differently.  

10 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

What do you guys want Bach (or whomever is in that position) to do?  If there's anyone in the Olympic echelons I question, it's Tony Estanguet and his impractical, megalomaniac dreams.  As if someone else in place of Bach would handle things differently.  

I have a dream.

(Tony Estanguet who becomes the next president of the IOC to see your reaction afterwards; sorry for Coe, but we have revenge to take on 2005)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, sebastien1214 said:

I have a dream.

(Tony Estanguet who becomes the next president of the IOC to see your reaction afterwards; sorry for Coe, but we have revenge to take on 2005)

Ay yay yay!  :wacko:

But history is against that happening.  Except for Killy I think, none of the heads of very successful COJOs (not Ueberroth, Billy Payne (Atlanta '96), Mitt Romney, Gianna Daskalaki, etc.) were absorbed into the IOC.  Even Coe hasn't been fully accepted.  The IOC core I think gets defensive and don't really want them within their ranks.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Ay yay yay!  :wacko:

But history is against that happening.  Except for Killy I think, none of the heads of very successful COJOs (not Ueberroth, Billy Payne (Atlanta '96), Mitt Romney, Gianna Daskalaki, etc.) were absorbed into the IOC.  Even Coe hasn't been fully accepted.  The IOC core I think gets defensive and don't really want them within their ranks.  

Because they know that those people are actually able to do a proper job mostly and not just want to play the underlings in a feudal system. If they had them in the IOC, the rest of that gang would look the clueless, often grifting, people that many of them (well-proven) are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Otherwise, there is a lot of talk about “legacy” for these 2024 Olympics, with the desire not to build unnecessary infrastructure, etc.

But there is also the legacy of the 1924 Olympics, a hundred years ago already. The Yves-du-Manoir stadium, which was the Olympic stadium in 1924, will host Olympic events (field hockey) for 100 years again, but it is not the only place of the 1924 Olympics which will once again welcome athletes.

spacer.png

Here is the Georges Vallerey swimming pool, which hosted the swimming events in 1924. And for these 2024 Olympics, it has been renovated to accommodate training for the swimming events; Of course, no Olympic events in this pool, but it still makes an additional site from 1924 reused.

https://sportetsociete.org/2024/04/20/paris-2024-la-piscine-georges-vallerey-rouvre-ses-portes/

(sorry for the double post, I accidentally pressed the send button for Tahiti before having time to finish my post...)

• Like 2