Paris 2024

On 9/24/2022 at 8:40 PM, TorchbearerSydney said:

I think Montreal was THE inflation Olympics- Global inflation during that period (the Oil Crisis) was well over 10 percent everywhere..... that and incompetence saw the biggest budget blow out.

Paris is giving it a run for their money (no pun intended). Unfortunately for Paris while the initial plans seemed feasible, you have the perfect storm of an economic slowdown from the pandemic and now rampant inflation and supply chain issues that don`t seem to be ebbing anytime soon. Of course, then you have the ridiculous and costly pet project of Estanguet to hold the ceremonies on the Seine which is going to put security costs through the roof.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

The mascots will be unveiled at November 14

https://sportbusiness.club/paris-2024-la-mascotte-devoilee-mi-novembre/

Again, my expectations are low for this, but lets see how it goes.

My expectations are always low for the mascots. I wonder if it’s still going to be the talking chapeau?

But I’ll guess I’ll be able to update my mascots sig at least 

Artstyle is very reminiscing of modern day cartoons. Seems like they're going for a very elastic/simplistic design this time, which can actually be a positive point in order to provide dynamic animation.

Close_Enough_Serie_de_TV-471123453-large

I think the mascot might be the pair of blue thin legs (which look different from most of the characters) inside the garage at the bottom right. Also look carefully behind the "For Food" sign. There are a couple of similar looking thin legs, although one is wearing what seems to be a prostethic.

Those legs are not appearing in how i'm viewing the website at this moment so it seems these might be it.

On 11/12/2022 at 11:52 AM, SportLightning said:

I'm not so sure about flying taxis.

19 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

You're not even sure whether you have a pulse or not.  

Again Baron with your destructive trolling attacks on other posters.

What’s hiding behind that keyboard? Trolls on Gamesbids.com forums

• 2 weeks later...

While it won't affect the Olympics directly, PSG's Qatari bosses want to buy Stade de France. They offered to buy Parc Des Princes and were told no. Hypothetically, I would assume if this purchase was successful that Stade de France's athletics track's days would be numbered though not until after the Olympics.

Ukraine attacks Olympics chief over Russian, Belarusian athletes at Paris 2024

Thomas Bach "Using sports to whitewash war crimes is sickening," says Ukraine’s foreign minister.

SWITZERLAND-OLY-IOC
International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach said that athletes shouldn't be banned only because of their passport | Denis Balibouse/Pool/AFP via Getty Images

DECEMBER 9, 2022 1:35 PM CET

Ukraine has warned international sports bodies against allowing Russian and Belarusian athletes to take part in international competitions — including the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.

“Since February, Russia has killed 184 Ukrainian athletes … Using sports to whitewash war crimes is sickening,” Dmytro Kuleba, Ukraine’s foreign minister, tweeted on Thursday night.

Kuleba was apparently responding to remarks by International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach, who said earlier this week that the international sport community should “explore ways to overcome this dilemma,” whereby athletes are prohibited from participating only because of their passport.

“The participation of athletes in sports events can only be on sporting merit and with those athletes who respect the rules of sport. We cannot allow governments to decide on political grounds who can participate,” Bach said, speaking after the three-day IOC board meeting in Lausanne.

“This would put the international sports model at risk, and we will never accept that,” Bach said, adding that “the question of the participation of athletes is very different from the question of sanctions for their government.”

In February, after Russia began its full-scale war on Ukraine, the IOC board recommended banning Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials from participation in international competitions, including the Olympic Games.

Last month, the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) voted to kick out Russia and Belarus from the governing body.

Bach also referred to recent remarks by French President Emmanuel Macron, who said last month that sport “should not be politicized.”

“Specifically mentioning the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Paris 2024, he [Macron] underlined that such major events are meant to allow athletes from all countries, sometimes including countries at war, to live their sport,” the IOC’s statement says.