Jump to content

Paris 2024


Recommended Posts

I think that Brisbane should be moved to 2028 since Australia have controlled COVID so well.

This is what I would do if Tokyo got postponed (again)

2024- Tokyo

2028- Brisbane

2032- Paris

2036- LA

 

Obviously Europe and America are i bad situations however USA is worse so 16 years provides enough time for them to get their act together. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
31 minutes ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

Are there really no big enough arenas in Paris, that not in use otherwise in the games, to host the handball tournament? Is it not a bit odd that only one sport is located in Lille so far away? I would prefer a smaller venue and then inside Paris. 

There are none suitable. This is why Paris originally proposed a temporary arena for volleyball before deciding to move volleyball to the Expo Porte de Versailles along with basketball prelims. Paris rightly recognized that temporary arenas leave no legacy and are more costly than intended. Handball needs a minimum 10,000 seat arena. I like the move as it sets a precedent for using regional venues rather than expensive temporary arenas when needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

Are there really no big enough arenas in Paris, that not in use otherwise in the games, to host the handball tournament? Is it not a bit odd that only one sport is located in Lille so far away? I would prefer a smaller venue and then inside Paris. 

They hold surfing in Tahiti instead of, say, Biarritz. Lille is just around the corner in comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

I agree, but if wee see it like that. How far around do you thinks a Olympic Games should be held (sailing of course an exception for many cities/countries with land all around). 

Are 3-400 km acceptable for venues apart? 

It all depends on connection: Lille is 220km or so from Paris, TGV only needs 1h15. That‘s more than acceptable, especially if we‘re looking at sustainabilty and a trend to regionalise. Winter 2026 won‘t have high speed trains between Milan and Cortina, but using existing facilities is the key here, so for each bid, this has to be looked at on individual merit/circumstances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

It all depends on connection: Lille is 220km or so from Paris, TGV only needs 1h15. That‘s more than acceptable, especially if we‘re looking at sustainabilty and a trend to regionalise. Winter 2026 won‘t have high speed trains between Milan and Cortina, but using existing facilities is the key here, so for each bid, this has to be looked at on individual merit/circumstances.

I'm a bit surprised the IHF hasn't put up a fight about this. I recall when Tokyo wanted to move volleyball to the Yokohama Arena instead of constructing a new one and the FIVB went ballistic and Tokyo quickly caved in to their demands for a new arena (I'm sure there regretting that now with the $26 billion and counting price tag) and Yokohama is closer to Tokyo than Lille is to Paris.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 5/17/2021 at 11:56 AM, stryker said:

I'm a bit surprised the IHF hasn't put up a fight about this. I recall when Tokyo wanted to move volleyball to the Yokohama Arena instead of constructing a new one and the FIVB went ballistic and Tokyo quickly caved in to their demands for a new arena (I'm sure there regretting that now with the $26 billion and counting price tag) and Yokohama is closer to Tokyo than Lille is to Paris.

But Japan has very healthy pro-volleyball leagues.  So the new Ariake volleyball-only-dedicated venue won't go to waste.  It will see lots of use + for international competitions since Japan always hosts them.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But Japan has very healthy pro-volleyball leagues.  So the new Ariake volleyball-only-dedicated venue won't go to waste.  It will see lots of use + for international competitions since Japan always hosts them.  

I am aware of Japan's pro volleyball leagues, however, Ariake Arena lacks a permanent tenant and given the number of indoor arena Tokyo has, is another permanent indoor arena really that urgent. If it was that much of a necessity then surely Yokohama Arena wouldn't have been considered in the first place. Ariake Arena is not the only questionable choice either. The Olympic Gymnastics Arena was supposed to be temporary but its structure has negated that. What use is that going to get besides being a glorified community center?

Paris meanwhile has taken note scrapping the temporary arena for handball along with the temporary aquatica center. Saves money and creates less legacy headaches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...