Paris 2024

13 hours ago, anthonyliberatori said:

LOVE to see it, but don't love that cost ... 40 million more than the construction cost? Wonder how much of that will actually go through. After the Marcana going virtually unused for months after Rio 2016 to the point it was looted, to Tokyo 2020 downgrading its stadium multiple times (I personally prefer the garden stadium over the bicycle helmet though), I will not keep my hopes up for this renovation to go exactly as planned.

The worry for me is the timing, not the ambition (it all sounds very doable). They've got a hard deadline of 2023 (the Rugby World Cup) and a similar renovation of the Bernabau is scheduled to take four years. As far as I know the SdF proposal hasn't even been revealed yet, let alone been put forward for planning permission.

Suddenly we've got a not insignificant risk attached to the previously risk-free main stadium for Paris 2024 and, more urgently, the 2023 Rugby World Cup. I hope they're confident of their timelines!

Edited by Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

...little late but....was this already posted?

Logo Parigi 2024: accuse di plagio

336x0_1455189929784_3183753.jpg

The design, a stylized Eiffel Tower that should represent the French capital in the race for the Games, is practically identical to that of "4Global", a consulting firm for major sporting events based in London.

...thankfully 4 Global changed their logo sometime after this..

4G.jpg

Edited by paul

What’s Bach been smoking over there in Tokyo this week? First his delusional statement that the Olympics are ‘stable’ & the ‘envy’ of everyone else, & now this silly notion? Yeah, the ‘loud & clear’ message should fall on Paris’ deaf ears.

For all the rhetoric that the IOC wants to tell cities now that they should cut costs in their bids, this ain’t one of the ways to do it. ‘Dream’ or no dream. Security at the Olympic Games already has an enourmous price tag to pile on even more to it. Plus, IDK how ‘magical’ this could really be. What if it rains the day of the Opening? Nah, not worth it. 

On 11/30/2018 at 5:44 PM, stryker said:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1072808/bach-reveals-city-centre-opening-ceremony-dream-and-encourages-paris-2024-to-consider-concept

More pipe dreaming by Bach? Seems to me this would be a logistical nightmare from a security standpoint.

Paris is in a riot right now I don't think it will work or go down well.

Macron will be long gone by the time of Paris 2024 it will be Marine Le Pen who will open up the Paris 2024 games, I bet the IOC is regretting going to Paris first not Los Angeles it will take some time to restore the order in France we could be facing a few of years of intense riots in France that they might have to change places with LA have host 2024 - Paris 2028.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Olympianfan said:

Macron will be long gone by the time of Paris 2024 it will be Marine Le Pen who will open up the Paris 2024 games, I bet the IOC is regretting going to Paris first not Los Angeles it will take some time to restore the order in France we could be facing a few of years of intense riots in France that they might have to change places with LA have host 2024 - Paris 2028.

giphy.gif

Where do you come up with these hot takes?

One of the political consequences of this is the probable creation of the RIC (Referendum Initiated by the Citizens), a Swiss like system of referendums proposed by the citizens. This could become a major headache for the Paris Games.

ric_0.jpg

And of course this would make any future French bid problematic.

Edited by hektor

On 12/18/2018 at 9:45 AM, paul said:

.....I can't believe it's a law that you have to carry a yellow vest in your car in France....this is a great symbol of the lack of freedom and government overreach the french are experiencing. RIP Europe.

You're being sarcastic, right?  

But then again, in the US, a lot of conservatives were saying that it was government overreach when states started enacting mandatory seat belt wearing laws back in the 1980s.  

In Spain, I think carrying a yellow vest in your car is also mandatory; you're supposed to wear it when changing a flat tire or having to walk along the side of a highway or something.

Also in Spain, it's mandatory to have warning triangles in your car, so that you can place them on the road when changing a flat tire or whatever.  I see nothing wrong with that.  

How do you feel about mandatory seat belt laws?  Or some of the "hands-free" laws that some states have (California included) on cell phone use while driving?

Edited by ejaycat

• 3 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 7:07 AM, Maximf83 said:

I guess a mayoral candidate in Paris is pushing for a referendum.  What are the odds if that?

https://twitter.com/Simonnet2/status/1111244277944909824?s=19

Would this candidate have any chance of winning the election or is this just a social media effort to get the conversation on a referendum started?

4 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

Is that even an option? Aren't they now contractually obligated to host the games?

thats what i believe, people here can probably provide more information on if cities can get out of it, Denver did get out of 1976 winter games hosting

45 minutes ago, Maximf83 said:

thats what i believe, people here can probably provide more information on if cities can get out of it, Denver did get out of 1976 winter games hosting

I mean the US is a dumpster fire right now, politically, but for the time being, at least, LA is not rioting nor is it up in flames.... nor has support for the games diminished.

Maybe a swap would be on the table? LA 24 Paris 28?

• Confused 1

^Oh my, & where have we heard that you-know-who cockamamie idea before?! Anything to have L.A. wind up with the 2024 Games afterall, huh. :rolleyes:

And opposition to an L.A. Games has already begun, it’s just not really pronounced ATM cuz the 2028 Games are still almost a decade away (so most are clueless or don’t care for now).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/psmag.com/.amp/economics/meet-the-grassroots-organizers-trying-to-keep-the-olympics-out-of-los-angeles

Like they say, be careful what you wish for. Switch the order around & let’s see if a NO-LAOlympics group won’t get off to a really good start.