Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, neige said:

When sport contributes to a better way of life!

It turned out to be a very good bit a free advertising for the Paris bid. That huge Paris 2024 logo they'd put on the Tour Montparnasse was visible in all the wide shots during the Grand Prix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Rob. said:

It turned out to be a very good bit a free advertising for the Paris bid. That huge Paris 2024 logo they'd put on the Tour Montparnasse was visible in all the wide shots during the Grand Prix.

Yep, that was a high point every time when the cameras roll over Montparnasse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand the connection between the F-! and the Olympics?  What is the link?   The Olympics do NOT recognize motorized "sports" -- so why is the F-1 relevant to Olympic bidding talk?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't understand the connection between the F-! and the Olympics?  What is the link?   The Olympics do NOT recognize motorized "sports" -- so why is the F-1 relevant to Olympic bidding talk?? 

Only from the promotion of Olympics symbols. Actually it was weird in a good way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't understand the connection between the F-! and the Olympics?  What is the link?   The Olympics do NOT recognize motorized "sports" -- so why is the F-1 relevant to Olympic bidding talk?? 

Because any "big" event in the city may help the bid (just like the fashion week, or LaLaLand....)

Because it takes place in the city center, exactly were the olympics would take place

In my mind, because it promotes the use of electric cars which is a strong point of Paris (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autolib' made for sharing! ;))

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, neige said:

Because any "big" event in the city may help the bid (just like the fashion week, or LaLaLand....)

Because it takes place in the city center, exactly were the olympics would take place

In my mind, because it promotes the use of electric cars which is a strong point of Paris (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autolib' made for sharing! ;))

For me, F-1, like Nascar, is the total antithesis of the Olympics.  

#1 - It goes against the simple, basic beliefs of what Olympic competition is about (i.e., human effort and sweat).

#2 - Motor sports are wasteful, injurious to the environment, activities -- not to mention noise pollution. 

#3 - They leave behind an unusually large carbon footprint, which responsible Olympic organizers seek to avoid. 

Thus, I still can't see the tenuous connection between the two events -- other than they draw people.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

For me, F-1, like Nascar, is the total antithesis of the Olympics.  

#1 - It goes against the simple, basic beliefs of what Olympic competition is about (i.e., human effort and sweat).

#2 - Motor sports are wasteful, injurious to the environment, activities -- not to mention noise pollution. 

#3 - They leave behind an unusually large carbon footprint, which responsible Olympic organizers seek to avoid. 

Thus, I still can't see the tenuous connection between the two events -- other than they draw people.  

Well, this was a Formula E race, fully electric cars, and they only make a very small amount of noise. But the point of posting this was that it's a big sporting event in the centre of Paris - very comparable to the 'sport in the city' concept their 2024 bid is pushing. It proves they have the capability of doing this kind of thing right in the centre of town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rob. said:

Well, this was a Formula E race, fully electric cars, and they only make a very small amount of noise. But the point of posting this was that it's a big sporting event in the centre of Paris - very comparable to the 'sport in the city' concept their 2024 bid is pushing. It proves they have the capability of doing this kind of thing right in the centre of town.

Gotcha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Sat May 20 2017 at 3:01 AM, Rob. said:

Today's Formula E race is right in the centre of Paris, Les Invalides, Grand Palais, so lots of Paris 2024 venues on show. A nice event to show off how the city/sport can combine. Obviously motor racing isn't an Olympic sport, but if I were Paris 2024 I'd be getting onto the FIA to ask for a few clips from the race weekend to cut into the final presentation to the IOC. Actual race is 14:30 BST today.

Last year's race highlights:

Driver track walk:

 

Just got back from Paris, this E Formula 1 race made traffic a nightmare!

Either than that, I was impressed at how much more Paris 2024 advertised around the city Vs LA which picked specific spots.

The buses all had little flags and a decal on the back and of course the tower at Montparnasse.

That aside, my only real concern was, surprisingly, transportation.

Paris very extensive rail system is standing room only throughout most od the day, and of course only worse at rush hour. Even with trains running every 2 minutes the trains were packed sardines. And many of them, especially on the M6 there was no AC. :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

Even with trains running every 2 minutes the trains were packed sardines.

Not used to the metro? (like me):blink:

M%C3%A9tro-bonde-Fin-du-m%C3%A9tro-boulot-dodo.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who take public transport in major cities like Paris, that also have an extensive subway network in other cities such as New York, Moscow, Tokyo, Mexico City, Beijing, etc on a regular basis are use to the "standing room only", particularly during rush hour. I'm sure that aspect of life is foreign to most native L.A.ers where the automobile is king.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, FYI said:

People who take public transport in major cities like Paris, that also have an extensive subway network in other cities such as New York, Moscow, Tokyo, Mexico City, Beijing, etc on a regular basis are use to the "standing room only", particularly during rush hour. I'm sure that aspect of life is foreign to most native L.A.ers where the automobile is king.

Guilty. Also add Seoul, Moscow and Sao Paulo metros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^I mentioned Moscow. Plus, that's why I said "etc", which would also cover those others, & also in addition Shanghai, Hong Kong & Guangzhou.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FYI said:

^I mentioned Moscow. Plus, that's why I said "etc", which would also cover those others, & also in addition Shanghai, Hong Kong & Guangzhou.

Oops I didn't see Moscow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FYI said:

People who take public transport in major cities like Paris, that also have an extensive subway network in other cities such as New York, Moscow, Tokyo, Mexico City, Beijing, etc on a regular basis are use to the "standing room only", particularly during rush hour. I'm sure that aspect of life is foreign to most native L.A.ers where the automobile is king.

Ive been to NY, Mexico, and Tokyo, all very fine systems.

Paris' is shockingly in dire need of rail car and capacity upgrades. 

The M2 is about 5 cars long and the trains are tiny and narrow. 

While I do appreciate how affordable it is €1.70/ride, it was very uncomftorable compared to other cities. NY has longer and wider trains with side seats. Mexico city has 12 car trains, and Tokyo's are cramped but well air conditioned and CLEAN!

I was just trying to imagine how much worse the trains would be during an Olympics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

I was just trying to imagine how much worse the trains would be during an Olympics.

They will get upgrades. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

They will get upgrades. 

Exactly - part of the Greater Paris project is to revamp it's metro (it's not gonna stay stagnant), just like L.A. is proposing to add to theirs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

Ive been to NY, Mexico, and Tokyo, all very fine systems.

Paris' is shockingly in dire need of rail car and capacity upgrades. 

The M2 is about 5 cars long and the trains are tiny and narrow. 

While I do appreciate how affordable it is €1.70/ride, it was very uncomftorable compared to other cities. NY has longer and wider trains with side seats. Mexico city has 12 car trains, and Tokyo's are cramped but well air conditioned and CLEAN!

I was just trying to imagine how much worse the trains would be during an Olympics.

My experience in London, and I think others who've been to other Games have found the same thing, is that the transport system feels less busy during Games-time. It seems to be a perverse thing; residents and commuters think it's going to be busy, so don't use it or come up with alternative arrangements or else go on holiday, more trains are put on anyway to cope with extra demand, yet Olympic visitors don't make up the extra numbers. Travelling in and around London during London 2012 was less hassle than normal. I'm sure Paris' extensive system will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from my small Asterix village, I must say that I do not like the Paris metro either...but it transports 9 millions people per day!

97619314.jpg

I agree there will be no problem in August, all parisians go away!

Tram-%C3%A9t%C3%A9.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rob. said:

My experience in London, and I think others who've been to other Games have found the same thing, is that the transport system feels less busy during Games-time. It seems to be a perverse thing; residents and commuters think it's going to be busy, so don't use it or come up with alternative arrangements or else go on holiday, more trains are put on anyway to cope with extra demand, yet Olympic visitors don't make up the extra numbers. Travelling in and around London during London 2012 was less hassle than normal. I'm sure Paris' extensive system will be fine.

Spot on. 

Even years after the 2000 games, Sydneysiders continually bemoaned the fact that the (typically daily packed) trains never ran as well as during the games, and how commuting on public transport was never so pleasant as during those two weeks. And in London, the only time I ever experienced an over-packed tube carriage was on my non-Olympic night out to a West End play. And yet for the years leading up to the event all I ever heard was the gripes from Londoners about how packed the Tube always is and what a nightmare it would be in 2012.  I think one art good Olympic hosts need to develop is to plan your games time transport to the ultimate stresses you can imagine, lower everyone's expectations and then reap the rewards of pleasant surprise from everyone when it "clicks" into place

Ditto the roads. For all the warnings of carmageddon on the roads with nightmare traffic battling around Olympic lanes etc for games fortnight, I've usually experienced quiet, pleasant traffic conditions come games time. So LA shouldn't stress itself too much about its traffic reputation either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2017 at 4:41 PM, Sir Rols said:

Spot on. 

Even years after the 2000 games, Sydneysiders continually bemoaned the fact that the (typically daily packed) trains never ran as well as during the games, and how commuting on public transport was never so pleasant as during those two weeks. And in London, the only time I ever experienced an over-packed tube carriage was on my non-Olympic night out to a West End play. And yet for the years leading up to the event all I ever heard was the gripes from Londoners about how packed the Tube always is and what a nightmare it would be in 2012.  I think one art good Olympic hosts need to develop is to plan your games time transport to the ultimate stresses you can imagine, lower everyone's expectations and then reap the rewards of pleasant surprise from everyone when it "clicks" into place

Ditto the roads. For all the warnings of carmageddon on the roads with nightmare traffic battling around Olympic lanes etc for games fortnight, I've usually experienced quiet, pleasant traffic conditions come games time. So LA shouldn't stress itself too much about its traffic reputation either.

Ah, yes.

I love when local officials scare the sh*t out of everyone and claim a traffic apocalypse.

"Carmageddon" a few years back was the best thing to happen to LA traffic SINCE the 1984 Olympics. Some freeways were so empty that people were riding their bikes or skating on them.

The mayor said, LA can take over the freeways very easily for events like this. 

o-CINDY-WHITEHEAD-SKATEBOARD-405-faceboo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hidalgo has been wearing the same look to Cannes for years.....and the fit on Estanguet's suit is crazy. I know these are not fashion people but daaaaaaaaaaamn they could have tried a little. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×