Paris 2024

There was some technical issues with the Suzanne Lenglen court (there is no real roof but just a cover, making climate control inside the venue - a requirement for hosting boxing- a challenge and a non-sense from a sustainability point of view).

The final phase will be in the Chatrier court equiped with a real roof and having already hosted boxing event.

I've known about the decision to move the MPC for months, I feel like it was already up on the Wikipedia page or in an article I read somewhere. Weird that it's only being reported now.

This makes sense for journalists who move around the venues all day long since the Palais des Congrès is much closer to central Paris than Le Bourget.

7 hours ago, cfm Jeremie said:

There was some technical issues with the Suzanne Lenglen court (there is no real roof but just a cover, making climate control inside the venue - a requirement for hosting boxing- a challenge and a non-sense from a sustainability point of view).

The final phase will be in the Chatrier court equiped with a real roof and having already hosted boxing event.

I remember seeing initial renderings of the Suzanne Lenglen court and thinking the same thing. Having said that, professional boxing has held countless numbers of matches outdoors in everything from stadiums to parking lots. MMA established Fight Island, an outdoor venue on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi. I can't see why the IBA can't do the same.

• 4 weeks later...

On 5/13/2022 at 9:02 PM, AndrewArthur said:

The Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games will be the biggest event ever organised in France. The Olympic games will take place from 26 July to 11 August 2024. The spectacle taking place during those weeks will go down in history and Paris will be the centre of the world – the world of sport and so much more.

On 13 September at the IOC Session in Lima, it was confirmed that Paris and Los Angeles will host the Olympic Games 2024 and 2028 respectively, following the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) historic decision to award both Games simultaneously.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:16 PM, AustralianFan said:

Click this link to go to the Paris 2024 thread.

48 minutes ago, barbaramendoza said:

Paris event will be the huge one.

@barbaramendoza

This, right here, is the existing Paris 2024 thread.

Please do not duplicate threads by starting a second Paris 2024 thread with the exact same name.

This original one has been going for 9 years since 2013.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:02 PM, AndrewArthur said:

The Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games will be the biggest event ever organised in France. The Olympic games will take place from 26 July to 11 August 2024. The spectacle taking place during those weeks will go down in history and Paris will be the centre of the world – the world of sport and so much more.

On 13 September at the IOC Session in Lima, it was confirmed that Paris and Los Angeles will host the Olympic Games 2024 and 2028 respectively, following the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) historic decision to award both Games simultaneously.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:16 PM, AustralianFan said:

Click this link to go to the Paris 2024 thread.

Correction:

@AndrewArthur

This thread yright here, is the existing original Paris 2024 thread of 9 years since 2103.

Please do not duplicate threads by starting a second Paris 2024 thread with the exact same name.

This original one has been going for 9 years since 2013.

The BIGGEST event planned in France?  NOT Paris 2024 by a long shot.  D-Day involved more than, let me just quote one figure 240,000 Allied soldiers who stormed the beaches of Normandy that day!  How does Paris 2024 compare?  They can't even find enough extra gendarmes for Paris to supplement the 7,000 the Paris PD can field for Estanguet's MAD Open Ceremony.  ANd yes, the Allied troops were assembled in the UK, but the point was to liberate France and Europe with that beachhead in Normandy.  Also, a lot of Allied figures, of course, do NOT include members of the French underground who did their part in hobbling German fortifications and supply lines around Normandy.  But you can bet, several thousands were secretly involved in that part of the operation.  So, NO, Paris 2024 is NOT the largest event planned in France.  It might be #3 or #4 when all is said and done.  

Some D-Day numbers:  D-Day figures - D-Day Overlord (dday-overlord.com) 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 2 weeks later...

Two years out and they're still shuffling venues?  Looks like les bleus bit off more than they could chew.  They shouldn't have agreed to host more sports than they could realistically house and STOP dithering with events that could be staged in simpler ways but want them grander, simply for showing off!  Lesson for future COJOs -- but they never learn.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Er... how Seb? You can't have track races just in a straight line, and I'm assuming you're not talking about having a normal track in the Place de la Concorde - I guess you can have field events outside like the shot put at Olympia, but that'd give long gaps between races for the stadium crowd if there's nothing in the field...

5 hours ago, yoshi said:

Er... how Seb? You can't have track races just in a straight line, and I'm assuming you're not talking about having a normal track in the Place de la Concorde - I guess you can have field events outside like the shot put at Olympia, but that'd give long gaps between races for the stadium crowd if there's nothing in the field...

You already gave the shot put example.

I doubt he wants to move everything out of Stade de France, but some events (shot put, pole vault, high jump) could be staged at iconic locations elsewhere (Tuileries, in front of Notre Dame etc).

10 hours ago, fusilli said:

Requote. Red Bull actually did it. 

3395384-69387848-2560-1440.jpg

U answered your own question!  Also, actually in Paris 1900, if I'm not mistaken, the swim events were held in a make-shift pontoon-type pool there on the Seine.  

See the source image
This might be a photo from 1900.  

What happens when the divers land on a big trout or what else is in the Seine- a Moray eel?   But Coe's comment is really quite stupid. 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

“As part of the plan, street lighting around the square will be completely replaced before the Games.”

“BMX freestyle, breaking, 3x3 basketball and skateboarding are scheduled to take place in an urban sports park built for the Games.”

“Repairs to the "Guérites" of Strasbourg and Lille, two of the eight statues which stand on the square and serve as sentry boxes, will be undertaken as part of the work.“