Paris 2024

On 7/24/2022 at 6:43 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Estanguet and his team need only study the logistics of D-Day to realize what a daunting task they set before themselves.  But they won't study the Debarquement because it is a slight to French pride.  Ha! 

What they've probably been studying, enviously, is events like the 2012 predecessor to this:

thamesfestivaltrust.org/reflections-2022/

spacer.png

Yeah... maybe not. Hopefully Paris has better weather than the Diamond Jubilee had, not that that'd be hard. I love the idea of the ceremony on the Seine, I really hope it works, but I can't help feeling that for stuff like this, streets > rivers. It's not like Paris is short of iconic streets and squares...

/\/\  Actually, every June they have a Tall Ships regatta up in Rouen.  So, it's only a little over an hour's drive to Rouen from Paris.  But it's different.  In Rouen, there are NO time constraints and I don't think there are any low-slung bridges to deal with.  

Armada of tall ships drop anchor at Rouen - Bing video 

And again, the problem with Paris 2024 is that you have to move a large body of people -- several thousands within a strict and limited time, to be in designated positions at certain times -- and then out again in very tight time frames.  But depending 

But hey, let Estanguet figure this out.  

The only logistical problem I see is that they are dramatically under counting the potential number of people in Paris for this. 600k is a very low number. When you compare to wide open sports parades in NA that routinely number at a million or more in major markets (Chicago had ones that went upwards of 2 million).

Day trips are feasible for probably over a 100 million people. If they go through with this, the city itself will need to be closed or you could get numbers that overwhelm. 

36 minutes ago, Faster said:

The only logistical problem I see is that they are dramatically under counting the potential number of people in Paris for this. 600k is a very low number. When you compare to wide open sports parades in NA that routinely number at a million or more in major markets (Chicago had ones that went upwards of 2 million).

Day trips are feasible for probably over a 100 million people. If they go through with this, the city itself will need to be closed or you could get numbers that overwhelm. 

A small shooting at a post office or a Jewish supermarket a few days before will quickly thin out the Opening Day crowds.  (I think they are going to ticket the stands -- even though they will be free--maybe by mobile code, so they can keep track of who's attending.)  

That clip gives me some of the goosebumps back from their handover presentation at Tokyo 2020ne. Hopefully that's just a sample of what's to come. 

I'm so looking forward to these Games - I want that specialty nostalgia back, after Athens 2004, Beijing 2008 & London 2012. We're well overdue for another "best Games ever", & I SO want Paris 2024 to deliver just that!

FAIL!  What a lame slogan.  Of course, they have to be open. What? They should be performed in secret?  

1200px-2024_Summer_Olympics_logo.svg.png

But "Marianne" in the logo has NO EYES?  So?? :wacko:

I'm sorry, but in terms of the "peripheral glow" a Games should have, this one is disappointing.  Makes Beijing's ONE WORLD, ONE DREAM  positively innovative!! 

A simple OUI, JE SUIS PARIS! would've been great!  

And those clips - you've seen them all before.  And using the LA 1984 medal -- with the OLD Roman Colesseum Nike obverse instead of the current one of Athens 2004.  Oy vey.  

So far, this is looking good for LA 2028.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

28 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

And those clips - you've seen them all before.  And using the LA 1984 medal -- with the OLD Roman Colesseum Nike obverse instead of the current one of Athens 2004.  Oy vey.   

I loved the video. A good mix of general Olympic imagery, along with a lot of very French imagery (including things you’d never imagine they’d use - protests? Revolution? I applaud how they own that particular stereotype).

Still not sold on the slogan, though. But their videography’s ben En Pointe!

15 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I wonder if they did that in purpose just to make a nod to LA 2028 which was in the same bid race as them before the double-adward. If it is, props to them!

About the slogan, Ouvrons Grand les Jeux (It actually rolls better on the tongue in french) sounds actually accurate of about they are claiming to do, a games without borders between the city and the arenas. If they deliver, it´s another story but the slogan it´s atleast ok at worst.

/\/\  Yes, I believe it was done on purpose.  And as you say -- because LA gave way for them to go first.  

The intent of the slogan is OK -- I guess, copying Medicins sans Frontières

See the source image
 But once there is a security incident because of lax securite!, Ayayayayay. It;s Munich 1972 all over again!  There goes that slogan!!  

Edited by baron-pierreIV