Paris 2024

My first thought is an unapologetically feminine looking logo is very welcome. The way the lips appeared on the animation was a nice, unexpected surprise. And the whole thing is very French.

Feels slightly flat as a design though. Not sure why, maybe it's the colours or lack of?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, adrianme17 said:

Very clever - like the melange of the medal - the flame & The Marianne. Not keen in the font though! Still one the best logos in many a year!

The "medal" allusion though, I think, is the weakest of the 3 resonances.  I'd say it's more a "globe"; and also that's why they chose green as her hair -- but didn't want to do the whole "green" Planet earth thingie though -- so they went with "medal" instead.  (But a "climate change" message with the logo wouldn't have been too bad-- adter all, the last big climate conference was in Paris!! 

So now, will the 2024 medals look like that??  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

27 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Looks like a cosmetic brand to me, definitely doesnt scream ''Olympics''.

When I first glanced at it, I thought the first one would be a woman, and the second one a man, representing all humanity....my partner looked at it and said, it is sexist, with a sexy double entre feel (french kiss etc.)...

Considering how totally underwhelming the last 4 of the last 5 Games have been, this is like a breath of fresh air.  I mean, we don't want to drown in a crush of OVER-creativity.  ;)

• Like 1

I’m not sure about the making the Paralympic logo the same. It’s a noble sentiment of course, but it’s reducing the opportunity for hosts to show themselves off, & even eroding a bit of what’s special about the Paralympics. I think the recent trend of ‘similar but different’ is better for them - especially as in recent years, it’s seemed like the Paralympics are a bit more creative than the Olympics (see the relative ceremonies in recent years). I especially hope this isn’t the beginning of hints towards a merger/takeover - that would be tragic for the Paralympics if they lose their dedicated spot & coverage. 

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I saw a wrong one.  But this is a take-off of Albertville 1992 &  the old Sherwin-Williams paints logo.  

It's OK.  The last 3 Winter Games have been AWFUL; and this one is at least better than those and of London 2012 also.  

This.

Although the idea to make a resemblance to Marianne is nice though.

4 hours ago, yoshi said:

I’m not sure about the making the Paralympic logo the same. It’s a noble sentiment of course, but it’s reducing the opportunity for hosts to show themselves off, & even eroding a bit of what’s special about the Paralympics. I think the recent trend of ‘similar but different’ is better for them - especially as in recent years, it’s seemed like the Paralympics are a bit more creative than the Olympics (see the relative ceremonies in recent years). I especially hope this isn’t the beginning of hints towards a merger/takeover - that would be tragic for the Paralympics if they lose their dedicated spot & coverage. 

Yoshi, the 2 organizations are slowly merging.  What used to be the USOC is now called the USOPC.  How far behind can other countries be?  

• Like 1

D’oh!

When i glanced at it this morning, all my brain really took in was the flame in the medal and the lips. Now I’ve looked at it again, I’ve finally made the mental perspective flip and i can’t believe i didn’t take in the hair, to create Marianne’s face! That changes everything. I like it a lot better now. And interesting... so feminine. And as Rob said, so French, but not overtly so. Such a clever and unusual way to brand the games.

What’s Ruff’s Abrahamson’s take on this?

Whenever a new logo comes out, i can’t help wondering how far it would go in a GBids logo comp. Speaking of which @yoshi...

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

D’oh!

When i glanced at it this morning, all my brain really took in was the flame in the medal and the lips. Now I’ve looked at it again, I’ve finally made the mental perspective flip and i can’t believe i didn’t take in the hair, to create Marianne’s face!

Well, I missed that as well it turns out. Haha!

Not sure it makes much difference to my opinion which is still stylish and on point for Paris, but not quite properly executed. If anything, the fact it had to be pointed out only reinforces that.

Really liking the dark mode version of the logo on the website, will be very interesting to see what path they will take when it comes to the look.  Definitely a winner with producing a quality Worldmark as well which should work well with the branding. Reasonably pleased with this one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mattygs said:

Really liking the dark mode version of the logo on the website

Hell yeah, you're right! :oB)

Suddenly comes to life and the face is so much more defined. Amazing how much of a difference that makes. I really like it on a dark background!

11 hours ago, Rob. said:

Well, I missed that as well it turns out. Haha!

Not sure it makes much difference to my opinion which is still stylish and on point for Paris, but not quite properly executed. If anything, the fact it had to be pointed out only reinforces that.

To be fair, London’s was a bit the same. Took me a while to see beyond the shapes to make out Lisa Simpson

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

A little late to this convo, but I LOOOOVE the official logo. It wasn't overly designed or too complex.

Simple, but elegant, and symbolic.

IMO, the simplicity of it will make it  instantly recognizable around the world.

Well done, Paris!

Also, the Art Deco inspired font. Bravo!