Paris 2024

On 9/16/2017 at 7:10 AM, hektor said:

Nice article (in French, sorry) which explains that the transportation plan promised for the Games (also called Grand Paris Express) is unaffordable and that the French Government discussed internally the issue on August 2... Cost is 35 billion euros and not 22 billions as originally planned. And of course the construction has not even started.

:blink:

Les JO c’est gagné, mais le Grand Paris Express ça coince très fort

...hilarious and predictable.

...can't wait to see what happens to their village and games budgets.

It's gonna be fine...

Some planned lines that will not serve the future Olympic venues will be downsized/delayed/cancelled to make the cost of the overall project more bearable and that's it.

Most of the venues are close to existing transit lines anyways. Obviously this new "super-metro" is supposed to improve service a lot but It looks like the areas where the venues will be are not gonna be the affected ones.

Of course cuts can and will be made to the metro project, it's the games budget that will be more interesting to watch when it starts to balloon.....unfortunately for Paris they are now in a rush with budget problems starting while LA has the advantage of time and less risk. 

• Like 1

Before L.A. was even crowned the 2028 Games, many Angelinos (& you going as far in saying that L.A. shouldn't allow itself in being 'swindled' in this latest IOC 'double scam') were saying that it's not a good idea at all for the later edition due to the simple fact that inflation & prices would cost more four years later & that would put L.A. at "greater financial risk" (not to mention the political risk in L.A. as well of waiting eleven years out for the actual Games themselves). But now that L.A. "has" the 2028 Games (instead of the 2024 ones that they really wanted), they have 'the advantage of time & less risk' - lmfao.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, paul said:

Of course cuts can and will be made to the metro project, it's the games budget that will be more interesting to watch when it starts to balloon.....unfortunately for Paris they are now in a rush with budget problems starting while LA has the advantage of time and less risk. 

Don't know if I would call it a rush... They knew they had 7 years when they initially bid from the time of the vote to the start of the Games, so the timeframe should not come as a shock to Paris. Also, they only just got the official go ahead from the IOC earlier this month, and even knew they were going to get it in late July, so obviously they have not begun work. I believe they will be able to work it out and get it under control. It's Pyeongchang that I am worried about.

What's the logic behind using Parc des Princes for football finals over Stade de France? Logistics in converting it from athletics mode to football mode? Also, will the aquatics center likely be the holding area for the athletes prior to the parade of nations during the opening ceremony?

5 hours ago, RuFF said:

LA's presentation did suck. But not as bad as the headlines coming from Paris. Exploding transport budget, marches on the streets protesting Macrons plans to bring France's staggering, over 9%, unemployment rate down. The French testing labs shut down for 6 months, a cut in the sport ministry's budget, plummeting approvals for Macron. But I don't know why anybody would be surprised, bullet proof glass is going up at the Eiffel Tower. #madeforsharing. Can I get a holy sh!T?

Sour grapes, me thinks?  :rolleyes:   BTW, didn't I/we tell ya this is how it's going to play out -- regardless of all the pluses you lined up for LA?  

Also, despite all your whines, Paris is still 20x more beautiful than LA; and if I were to spend my last day on earth between LA and Paris, guess which one it would be?  Hint: not LA.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29.9.2017 at 12:04 AM, stryker said:

What's the logic behind using Parc des Princes for football finals over Stade de France? Logistics in converting it from athletics mode to football mode?

Probably that and the fact that they would have to play at noon or in the afternoon as happened in 2000-2008 when the final was played at the main stadium. Also there might be a desire to include more venues to the Games, even if it's at the cost of a smaller crowd. Also, if the expansion plan goes ahead, in 2024 PdP will have a capacity around 60k so the loss will be only 15k spectators.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a temporary emblem... like every single host city does once it is elected until the final emblem is launched.

As for the Paralympic one, it is the first time than an OCOG develop a temporary Paralympic emblem. so yeah Dull but innovative as well.

I suspect a final emblem will be launched in the lead up to Tokyo.

• 1 month later...
On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:33 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Sour grapes, me thinks?  :rolleyes:   BTW, didn't I/we tell ya this is how it's going to play out -- regardless of all the pluses you lined up for LA?  

Also, despite all your whines, Paris is still 20x more beautiful than LA; and if I were to spend my last day on earth between LA and Paris, guess which one it would be?  Hint: not LA.  

Anyway, merry Christmas all!!

If any case, this is a pathological case for actually winning, trying to be discussed as a sore loser.

• 4 weeks later...

Paris 2024 Bid Committee Ends with Surplus
19/01/18 Written by Kevin Nutley

(ATR) The Paris 2024 Olympic bid committee is giving 5 million euros back to the city, regional and state governments as its last act.

Each of the entities will receive 1.5 million euro as a result of a surplus generated by strict adherence to the bid committee operating budget, according to the newly formed Organizing Committee.

“The achievement of this budget surplus is a remarkable feat in bidding history and a strong testament to the rigorous management by the Paris 2024 bid committee,” Paris 2024 said in a statement. 

“This exemplary and transparent approach will continue at Paris 2024 in the coming years in order to live up to its promise of delivering Olympic and Paralympic Games that are responsible, spectacular and useful for the population.”

The announcement follows criticisms that the Paris 2024 team had received for spending at the International Olympic Committee Session in Lima, Peru. It was there Paris was officially awarded the 2024 Summer Games in a pre-arranged deal with the IOC and Los Angeles bid committee.

The Paris 2024 bid committee was officially dissolved at a meeting of the Olympic project board members held at the French Olympic Committee headquarters in Paris on Jan. 18. 

Now, Paris 2024 Organizing Committee President Tony Estanguet and chief executive officer Etienne Thobois will begin recruiting the remainder of the OCOG as its founding two members. Estanguet was confirmed as future president of the OCOG in May 2017 while Thobois was chosen to remain as CEO on Dec. 20.

The first wave of recruitment concluded on Jan. 15 with application deadlines for the positions of chief financial officer, international relations director and human resources director. 

Estanguet says the new OCOG will use the same budget strategies that provided a surplus from management of the bid.

“This rigorous management sends a strong message, and we will follow the same diligent approach at the OCOG,” Estanguet said in a statement. “The adventure ahead of us will be exciting, demanding but above all full of opportunities.” 

ATR