Paris 2024

On 19/03/2017 at 6:24 PM, Rob. said:

Trump and Brexit were considered less likely than Clinton and no-Brexit yet both outcomes were within polls' margins of error. Le Pen winning would need the polls to be 10=20% wrong.

That's true , it's about 60% vs 40% in the polls....but...

Paris says it's 2024 or nothing... Nothing... NOTHING!!!  Dooon't, maaake me cloooose, one more door!  I don't wanna hurt, anymore!  :P

From Reuters:  

Olympics: 2028 Games not an option for Paris, says bid chief

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-2024-paris-idUSKBN16S1PZ

How is that any different from what L.A. & Garcetti are saying now, ejay. :rolleyes: 

Considering that L.A. is pretty much chiming the same thing, I think Paris 2024 should also make their position clear, that they're only interested in the 2024 prize, just like L.A. is.

4 minutes ago, FYI said:

How is that any different from what L.A. & Garcetti are saying now, ejay. :rolleyes: 

Considering that L.A. is pretty much chiming the same thing, I think Paris 2024 should also make their position clear, that they're only interested in the 2024 prize, just like L.A. is.

Maybe you didn't read the article, but it gives the main reason why 2028 won't work for Paris (land deal for the OV).  They are claiming that it has to be 2024, because they couldn't possibly host in 2028.

Apart from possibly having to renegotiate leases and timeframes and availability of already existing facilities, it's not the same situation for LA; I don't see why LA couldn't possibly host in 2028,

11 minutes ago, ejaycat said:

Maybe you didn't read the article, but it gives the main reason why 2028 won't work for Paris (land deal for the OV).  They are claiming that it has to be 2024, because they couldn't possibly host in 2028.

I did read it. But that's not really new news, though. It's been known for a while that the land Paris 2024 is proposing for the Olympic Village won't be able to be held onto indefinitely. That's why 2024 is more imperative in that aspect. I'm sure that land is prime real estate, it is Paris afterall, & developers will want to get their hands on it ASAP, 2024 Olympics or not. 

12 minutes ago, ejaycat said:

Apart from possibly having to renegotiate leases and timeframes and availability of already existing facilities, it's not the same situation for LA; I don't see why LA couldn't possibly host in 2028,

Well, exactly. Cuz everything is "already there". But that's not stopping Garcetti & Co. in saying that they're "only interested" in 2024.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/index.php/articles/1048363/exclusive-los-angeles-mayor-wants-to-host-olympics-in-2024-and-warns-ioc-he-will-keep-campaigning-hard

14 minutes ago, ejaycat said:

Old news.  They mentioned that about the land for the Olympic Village a while ago.  That's been out there for awhile.

4 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Old news.  They mentioned that about the land for the Olympic Village a while ago.  That's been out there for awhile.

But it's never been *the* headline.  The Paris organizers have now finally officially said that if they don't get 2024, they don't want 2028, they will outright reject it because of the land deal, and probably won't bid for another Olympics for quite a long time, if ever.  

Los Angeles, on the other hand, has no real compelling reason to host 2024 over 2028.  Though Mayor Garcetti "ranted," he still gave no real reason why LA couldn't wait until 2028.  

This is a direct quote from Tony Estanguet:  "This is the fourth bid by Paris and we believe it is now or never. This is the last chance to see Paris bidding for the Games. Afterwards, I think Paris and France will do different things."

LA2024 has made no such statement, only that they are "focused on 2024."  They said nothing about outright rejecting 2028.  

10 hours ago, ejaycat said:

LA2024 has made no such statement, only that they are "focused on 2024."  They said nothing about outright rejecting 2028.  

Because insiders won't believe them.  The public pronouncements are for outsiders.  But Olympic insiders know that LA will be back in a heartbeat -- and the IOC is offering them some $$ savings. 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 hour ago, ejaycat said:

But it's never been *the* headline.  The Paris organizers have now finally officially said that if they don't get 2024, they don't want 2028, they will outright reject it because of the land deal, and probably won't bid for another Olympics for quite a long time, if ever.  

Los Angeles, on the other hand, has no real compelling reason to host 2024 over 2028.  Though Mayor Garcetti "ranted," he still gave no real reason why LA couldn't wait until 2028.  

1 hour ago, ejaycat said:

This is a direct quote from Tony Estanguet:  "This is the fourth bid by Paris and we believe it is now or never. This is the last chance to see Paris bidding for the Games. Afterwards, I think Paris and France will do different things."

Yes, I'm aware what they said.  But when there are qualifiers like "we believe" and "I think," that's anything but a formal/official statement.  What is said now is hardly a binding agreement.  If Paris loses 2024, let's see what happens if the IOC offers them 2028.  They might have to think about that in order to see if they can make it work, but it's easy for us to talk about compelling reasons.  Much harder to put that into action.

On 19/3/2017 at 11:24 AM, Rob. said:

Trump and Brexit were considered less likely than Clinton and no-Brexit yet both outcomes were within polls' margins of error. Le Pen winning would need the polls to be 10=20% wrong.

And there's an old tradition between the French voters, when UK-USA tend to go on dirt, they avoided this like a plague. When Reagan-Thatcher were chosen as leaders of the anglo-saxon world, the French choose Mitterrand. And they prefer a corrupt like Chirac instead the "facho" Le Pen.

13 hours ago, neige said:

17265253_1286587258092719_21378365077163

more details here:

http://gamesbids.com/eng/featured/paris-2024-earn-first-ever-olympic-bid-sustainability-certificate/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gamesbidsrss+(GamesBids.com+Headlines)

"Paris has established itself as a global leader in environmental initiatives and at the forefront of the fight against climate change"

Paris carbon emission per capita:

13 hours ago, neige said:

17265253_1286587258092719_21378365077163

more details here:

"Paris has established itself as a global leader in environmental initiatives and at the forefront of the fight against climate change"

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/26830-paris-2024-earn-first-ever-olympic-bid-sustainability-certificate/

Paris carbon emission per capita:

15337427_1164679990283447_42866420176250

Paris ranked world leader in public transport:

Only 7% of the trips made in Paris are carried out in a car.

Paris climate change agreement: the world's greatest diplomatic success

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo Elected as New C40 Chair

CxiJPAqXcAA7y48.jpg

• Like 1

C8A3P8hWsAAAmD7.jpg

new survey for Paris 2024 among 15 - 25 years old people:

support: 88% in Paris (82% in France)

interrested in participating in the organization: 72% in Paris (54% in France)

an opportunity to unite the people of France around a positive event: 91% in Paris (89% in France)

They are quite clever because I guess the support would be quite lower if the survey wase among the whole population....

(anyway, I don't think the support will reach the level that was observed for 2012....)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rob. said:

Apologies, my French is appalling. Could someone tell me what this is about - from 'France Football'. I saw it on another forum, apparently something to do with reconfiguring the SdF without an athletics track?

C7_JnYKWkAECgWt.jpg

Yes, it's a report that recommends to reconfigure the SdF without an athletics track (better for Football and rugby) so that the stadium is more profitable. Ideally, the construction work (400 to 500 MEuros) should start in 2017-2018 but in case Paris gets the Games, they will start after the 2024 games. In that case, a first step (70 MEuros) would be done to renovate the stadium for the games.

(I've checked in the 2nd candidature file, it is planed M$ 80 for the SdF)

• Like 1

Here's my investigation about athletics at the Stade de France (didn't know it before)

http://www.lequipe.fr/Athletisme/Actualites/Le-meeting-ligue-de-diamant-ne-sera-plus-organise-au-stade-de-france/697147

http://www.supersport.com/athletics/international/news/160620/New_venue_for_Paris_Diamond_League

So it seems that the next (and last) athletics meeting at the Stade de France will take place in August 2024 (if Paris is chosen).

Wonder if this decision to move athletics from a 80000 seats stadium to a 20000 seats stadium (Charlety stadium) can have a negative impact on the IOC decision...

• Like 1

Excellent, thanks!

So Paris is basically saying we're done with bidding if it doesn't come off for us this time. Removing the track from the SdF is as clear a signal as we'll get.

Very strange in a way, especially for those of us who were around for the 2012 bidding war. If you'd have told me of London and Paris that one would have a multi-use stadium and the other would have small athletics facility I'd have said "well yeah obviously". Paris has the SdF and London will downsize the Olympic Stadium as planned. But it looks like IT'S GOING TO BE THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!

giphy.gif

Edited by Rob.

3 hours ago, neige said:

it seems that the next (and last) athletics meeting at the Stade de France will take place in August 2024 (if Paris is chosen).

Wonder if this decision to move athletics from a 80000 seats stadium to a 20000 seats stadium (Charlety stadium) can have a negative impact on the IOC decision...

If the IOC was happy with the proposed downsizing of the London Stadium to around 25,000 capacity after the 2012 Olympics, they shouldn't have too much of a problem with a comparable solution in Paris.