Paris 2024

3 hours ago, TeamBlakeUSA said:

That Is Almost $400 Dollars For A Renovation.

Yes it is! There's no need to renovate, however, when it comes to choosing between the best of the previous logo winners from gamesBidders, or designing a whole new logo for this year!

GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners Cup - Pools A & B

GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners Cup - Pools C & D

It also costs nothing to design your own logo!

10th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Design Comp

diet_set_tib.jpg

Edited by Sir Rols

A shame to hear the new National Rugby Stadium now looks dead in the water...

Laporte becomes FFR President

The 52-year-old former Stade Francais Paris, RC Toulon and France coach beat sitting President Pierre Camou to the position, polling 84% of the votes of the General Assembly in the election at the weekend.

Laporte stepped down from his role as director of rugby at RC Toulon to concentrate his effort on becoming President and stood on a platform of giving more power to amateur clubs and opposing the building of a new Grand Stadium for French rugby in Ris-Orangis (Essonne).

http://www.epcrugby.com/news/34013.php#.WEVCu1wSQ4U

7 hours ago, Rob. said:

A shame to hear the new National Rugby Stadium now looks dead in the water...

It is not really a shame. While the French rugby federation would no doubt benefit from a new stadium of their own, the people and state of France are better served by French rugby and football staying at Stade de France.

6 hours ago, TeamBlakeUSA said:

I Could Take A Lot of Hard Work.

Yes, you DO take a lot of work.

But it doesn't take much work to participate in the logo comps!

GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners' Cup - Quarter Finals 1 & 2

GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners' Cup - Quarter Finals 3 & 4

diet_set_tib.jpg

Edited by Sir Rols

6 minutes ago, TeamBlakeUSA said:

I Don't Know whether to choose poutine or empanadas? Or escargot or herring?

nQCbge.jpg

Vote in the Semi Finals of the GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners' Cup to decide:

Semi Finals - GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners' Cup

Or enter a new logo in this year's Comp:

10th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Comp

From my bi-national friend Hilary (one "l") who just returned to France to live out the next 6 months there.  As she posted on Facebook:

" Arriving at Charles De Gaulle Airport in Paris on Friday afternoon, I had a taste of what tourists here sometimes encounter. First, it was the hour-long-wait in a 300+ passenger line to show my passport to the unfriendly immigration officer, who was one of only two working in the terminal that afternoon. Then it was the 2-hour taxi drive into Paris on the A1 highway that was being blocked by drivers (VTC) in an "operation escargot" (car slow down) protesting against Uber and the French government about their poor working conditions. Not a very nice "welcome home", for even though it was sunny, there was no wind and the pollution alert was at its highest. "

(She lives between Berkeley, CA and Paris. Has sons in both countries.)  

Immigration officers are deliberately unfriendly in order to elicit a stress response in visitors. Going through customs at LAX is basically the same.

Ironically the most friendly customs agents I've ever encountered were the ones I met when I was carrying a sword into the USA from Canada.

On 12/18/2016 at 11:18 AM, Nacre said:

Immigration officers are deliberately unfriendly in order to elicit a stress response in visitors. Going through customs at LAX is basically the same.

Ironically the most friendly customs agents I've ever encountered were the ones I met when I was carrying a sword into the USA from Canada.

Crossing from Washington State into Canada took me 2 hours with only 30 cars in front of me in the pouring rain. Each car was thoroughly checked and inspected.

On my return trip from Vancouver back to Seattle, it took me 5 minutes. US Customs literally just kept waving their arms at everyone telling them to go on thru. I didn't even stop or get my passport checked.

It was rather bizzare.

I never thought that the customs people in the US (I've been to 3 US points of entry while flying, LAX, Seattle and MSP) were friendly or unfriendly, just kind of neutral.  

The friendliest customs/immigration guy I encountered was when I went to Sweden; the guy at Arlanda was totally friendly and even joked with me.  

The surliest customs/immigration guy I encountered was at Ataturk Airport in Istanbul; he was young and hot, though, so it made up for his unfriendly behavior.  He wasn't rude or anything, he just had an expressionless face and literally said nothing as he looked at my passport.  Turkey was the first country I've been to where I had to get a visa; many countries don't require Americans to get visas.     

Edit:

I realize I've also gone through customs in Honolulu, but that was a long time ago when I was 11 or 12 or something.  I remember the customs people there are very laid back and nice; not surprising, considering that's how most everyone is in Hawaii.  

Edited by ejaycat

I've connected through Charles de Gaulle a couple of times on my back to the U.S. from Abu Dhabi. Never had an issue with immigration or customs in Paris when I visited (I actually found it to be very efficient) but if you're transiting through de Gaulle it's a bit confusing. Not very well marked. The first time I connected there I nearly ended up in the arrivals hall.

Interesting poll that shows what people from different countries would chose between the 3 candidates for the 2024 games. Of course, this is just a poll. But it's quite nice for the Paris 2024 bid. https://sportetsociete.org/2016/12/21/jo-2024-des-chiffres-favorables-a-paris-avant-le-debut-de-la-phase-de-promotion-internationale/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stryker said:

I've connected through Charles de Gaulle a couple of times on my back to the U.S. from Abu Dhabi. Never had an issue with immigration or customs in Paris when I visited (I actually found it to be very efficient) but if you're transiting through de Gaulle it's a bit confusing. Not very well marked. The first time I connected there I nearly ended up in the arrivals hall.

Worst recent memory I have of landing at CDG (I think that was 2010) was how confined it was, after retrieving my suitcase (just one).  Together with baggage carts (at the time), there really wasn't too much room to maneuver from baggage carousel, thru those entrance tubes, to then get outside.  CDG was designed when jets carried only 150 passengers at a time; and probably one landing every hour.  

And then the express train from downtown Paris to CDG was also a nightmare.  We were packed like sardines!  

I remember reading an article a couple years ago about building a 4th terminal at CDG by 2025 since the airport is close to maximum capacity. Is this still being planned or has it been scrapped? Seems like it would be a worthwhile investment for Paris regardless of whether or not they land the 2024 Olympics.

5 hours ago, stryker said:

I remember reading an article a couple years ago about building a 4th terminal at CDG by 2025 since the airport is close to maximum capacity. Is this still being planned or has it been scrapped? Seems like it would be a worthwhile investment for Paris regardless of whether or not they land the 2024 Olympics.

According to an article in Le Journal de l'Aviation, 21 Nov 2016 (only the headline and first sentence available without subscription) the project remains current, and if there is a 5% rise in France's tourism this year, it will become a priority. That claim seems suspiciously like a setup for an announcement next spring that it will indeed be prioritised, with the aim of completion earlier than the original 2025 date.

1 hour ago, TeamBlakeUSA said:

2030 and 2032 are actually the years for this year's logo comp, and the Logo Winners' Cup final is between 2024 and 2028.

owRttW.jpg

Vote now in the GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners' Cup

And don't forget to submit an entry for this year's logo comp