Paris 2024

31 minutes ago, FYI said:

Like I just posted five minutes, that will probably have as much of an impact on Paris' bid like this will have on L.A.'s bid.

http://www.pravdareport.com/news/sports/other/23-08-2016/135408-isinbayeva_ioc-0/

The Russians are not happy at all about the whole USADA-led wanting to ban Russia from Rio. Not to mention the whole U.S. led FIFA scandal from last year. How many are still bitter about that within the IOC, since many from the two organizations overlap. 

If anything, both instances will be a wash. The IOC afterall, has to vote for someone to stage their excessive extravanza. Unless of course, all this baggage from the two strongest bids, puts Rome & Budapest in the drivers seat. But how likely is that, besides not really.

Yeah, the IOC with its super cynical bigot President might probably not care either way as long as they find someone to pay their bills.

Generally speaking though, I think France is going down a very dangerous path with actions like this.

Stefan,

Before throwing mud at my country you should be asking yourself what role your country played in making an already volatile situation in Europe even worse by your Merkel's cynical and self serving actions. By opening the floodgates to millions of refugees (many of whom were simple economic migrants) she probably thought she could cherry pick the best for her domestic industry then offload the rest of the unwanted to the other EU citing "European solidarity". Her cynical plan went pear shaped when her European neighbours saw through her plan and refused to play ball. Not a day goes by without your gutter press reporting an incident involving an asylum seeker.

Let's now see how the elections work out next year in Germany shall we.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Frenchy said:

The by-laws banning the wearing of 'burkinis' on French beaches have just been quashed by the French supreme court......

Good.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees the irony in a government entity telling women what they can or can't wear.  I mean come on; how is telling women that they can't be covered up on the beach, any different from some countries where women are told to cover up?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frenchy said:

Stefan,

Before throwing mud at my country you should be asking yourself what role your country played in making an already volatile situation in Europe even worse by your Merkel's cynical and self serving actions. By opening the floodgates to millions of refugees (many of whom were simple economic migrants) she probably thought she could cherry pick the best for her domestic industry then offload the rest of the unwanted to the other EU citing "European solidarity". Her cynical plan went pear shaped when her European neighbours saw through her plan and refused to play ball. Not a day goes by without your gutter press reporting an incident involving an asylum seeker.

Let's now see how the elections work out next year in Germany shall we.....

Ah, I love these whataboutisms...please share what exactly does the burkini ban have to do with refugees? By the way, one year on, Merkel still stands by the principles of her policy, despite getting lots of criticism. That's hardly self serving. But go on, if you can't take my stand on this ridiculous behaviour by French politicians (of all parties), then feel free to throw your mud on German politicians with allegations you probably took from the gutter press yourself.

How much media attention is the bid campaign getting in France? Today I met a French woman and asked in my broken French what she thought of "les jeux olympiques de Paris." And she said she didn't know anything about it. Though perhaps she misunderstood me. I don't know how to say "bid" in French.

Also, my only complaint about French people is how hard it is to try and speak to French people abroad in less than perfect French. I am sorry to misuse your beautiful language. But how will I ever improve my French if the people of France do not want me to practice it with them?

Otherwise I think the French are the most wonderful travelers I have met, although Europeans in general are well behaved.

5 hours ago, Nacre said:

How much media attention is the bid campaign getting in France? Today I met a French woman and asked in my broken French what she thought of "les jeux olympiques de Paris." And she said she didn't know anything about it. Though perhaps she misunderstood me. I don't know how to say "bid" in French.

Also, my only complaint about French people is how hard it is to try and speak to French people abroad in less than perfect French. I am sorry to misuse your beautiful language. But how will I ever improve my French if the people of France do not want me to practice it with them?

Otherwise I think the French are the most wonderful travelers I have met, although Europeans in general are well behaved.

The media and bidding team are keeping fairly low key about it at the moment for various reasons.

First of all they don't want to get peoples' hopes up only to see them dashed again! ("Once burned, twice shy").

Secondly we're a year away from the vote and all the journos here are mainly concentrating on the may 2016 presidential & parliamentary elections. 

However the bid was frequently mentioned by pundits and medal winners during Rio 2016......

• Like 1

On 26/08/2016 at 5:00 PM, Frenchy said:

The by-laws banning the wearing of 'burkinis' on French beaches have just been quashed by the French supreme court......

Well, I guess the Constitution will be changed next year to overrule the supreme court. Ready to bet ?

PS: it was NOT the supreme court. You are mixing Conseil d'Etat and Conseil Constutionnel.

Edited by hektor

I hope Paris beats LA (because of the time zone and... yes, because I love the city), but I'm a bit pessimistic about it. There's no point in comparing bids reports and so on cause we all know that IOC members are not well-known for making sensible decissions based on the common good. Having been rejected some times before this bid doesn't matter either, look at Madrid... 3 times in a row with realistic low risk projects. 

Comparing Madrid's losses to Paris' is apples & oranges. Their projects may have been 'low risk', but they had so many other issues that made them high risk, especially by the time of their 2020 bid (i.e. bad economy, Operation Puerto doping scandal, not to mention the usual geopolitical issues that most bids face against them, etc). 

2016 was just dumb for them to bid after London was just awarded 2012 (not to mention the Barcelona 1992 factor was still at play not in their favor). And 2012 (Barcelona factor here as well)? With global icons London & Paris in the picture (not to mention New York)? Madrid just picked the wrong battles.

Paris only has (two-time repeat host, & last time as recent as 1984) L.A. in its way this time around (which wasn't even the USOC initial pick, but their "back up" candidate). A major European capital city with a low-risk project as well, that's in a much better position than Madrid ever was in, & a city that hasn't hosted the Olympics in a century by the time 2024 rolls around, Paris is well ahead of the game already. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2016 at 9:31 AM, FYI said:

Comparing Madrid's losses to Paris' is apples & oranges. Their projects may have been 'low risk', but they had so many other issues that made them high risk, especially by the time of their 2020 bid (i.e. bad economy, Operation Puerto doping scandal, not to mention the usual geopolitical issues that most bids face against them, etc). 

2016 was just dumb for them to bid after London was just awarded 2012 (not to mention the Barcelona 1992 factor was still at play not in their favor). And 2012 (Barcelona factor here as well)? With global icons London & Paris in the picture (not to mention New York)? Madrid just picked the wrong battles.

Paris only has (two-time repeat host, & last time as recent as 1984) L.A. in its way this time around (which wasn't even the USOC initial pick, but their "back up" candidate). A major European capital city with a low-risk project as well, that's in a much better position than Madrid ever was in, & a city that hasn't hosted the Olympics in a century by the time 2024 rolls around, Paris is well ahead of the game already. 

And even for 2012 and 2016, the Castilians/Madrilenos went ahead stubbornly in bidding despite what the outgoing IOC president Samaranch himself warned them against-- that it was TOO soon to bid after Barcelona.  But they disbelieved him and went on their well, quixotic quests.  

Also, Rio and Madrid supposedly conspired to make sure that Chicago went out first because they feared that Chicago was technically the best bid.  How the USOC/Chicagoans fell for their supposed "chances," I will never figure out.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

And even for 2012 and 2016, the Castilians/Madrilenos went ahead stubbornly in bidding despite what the outgoing IOC president Samaranch himself warned them against-- that it was TOO soon to bid after Barcelona.  But they disbelieved him and went on their well, quixotic quests.  

Also, Rio and Madrid supposedly conspired to make sure that Chicago went out first because they feared that Chicago was technically the best bid.  How the USOC/Chicagoans fell for their supposed "chances," I will never figure out.  

20 years in 2012 and 24 years in 2016 since Barcelona '92 so I suppose it is too soon for LA to bid after Salt Lake City 2002.

Well, Baron just mentioned that the former IOC president JAS had warned Madrid. So how much more "warning" did they need not to bid? Shouldn't they have heeded his words? I mean, who better to advise them not to. And usually the IOC "encourages" bids when they get asked about certain ones, like in news conferences & so forth. So what are they going to say? "No, x,y,z has NO chances whatsoever"? That certainly would rattle many cages in potential bidding cities. So that's just one of those, "damn if you do, & damn if you don't" instances.

Bidding is always a risk anyway, bcuz you're taking a gamble since there can be only ONE winner, & then there's usually a whole bunch of losers. So you have to gauge & take into account the circumstances that might make or break your chances, & Madrid should've known better. All they were mainly interested in was showing off to Barcelona has quickly as possible. 

Using Salt Lake against L.A. isn't quite relevant either since that was a WINTER Games & L.A. is bidding for the Summer Olympics. If Spain had continue to try to bid for the Winter Games with Jaca or Zaragosa, then Barcelona 1992 wouldn't have been as much (if any) of a factor against them.

However, when you put it into something much more relevant, like the 2024 bids, then L.A. certainly losses that argument against itself, since L.A. would be the only city in the race to have recently hosted the Summer Olympics. And that's certainly one area where Paris has the advantage. These things aren't usually that linear (depending on the circumstances), but sometimes they are.

• 3 weeks later...

Just read the games bids article about the Parisian Mayor talking to the candidates for French president to all publicly support the bid due to what is happening in Rome. I know Hollande is fully behind the bid but do we know if the other possible candidates are strongly against it or not? I know there is concern about LePen but what about the others?

I'm curious to know, how the Parisian media and the media in the rest of France, is covering the Paris bid for 2024.

In Los Angeles, our media is pretty much saying that Paris is a strong contender for 2024.  How about in France; are they saying that Paris has a lock on 2024?

On 23/09/2016 at 0:35 AM, ejaycat said:

I'm curious to know, how the Parisian media and the media in the rest of France, is covering the Paris bid for 2024.

In Los Angeles, our media is pretty much saying that Paris is a strong contender for 2024.  How about in France; are they saying that Paris has a lock on 2024?

No, there's pretty much the same attitude from the French media towards LA than from the Californian media towards Paris. 

1 hour ago, Fiorenzo said:

No, there's pretty much the same attitude from the French media towards LA than from the Californian media towards Paris. 

Very interesting; it's almost like our respective media are being somewhat diplomatic in attitude towards each other's cities' bids.