Paris 2024

Paris Mayor highlights Paris 2024 candidature during visit to IOC

International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach today welcomed the Mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, to the IOC Headquarters in Lausanne, where they discussed the candidature of Paris to host the Olympic Games 2024. The Mayor was accompanied by the Paris 2024 Candidature Team.

President Bach said that he was delighted and honoured by Ms Hidalgo’s visit. “We feel that the Paris candidature is really unified. Your file is solid and your approach is in line with the principles of Olympic Agenda 2020, especially with regard to sustainability and legacy. I congratulate you on all the work accomplished so far,” he said at the end of the meeting. “We wish the Paris candidature every success,” he added.

The reforms of Olympic Agenda 2020 for the candidature process aim to introduce more flexibility and diversity in the competition, with a strong focus on sustainability and legacy as top priorities for the Candidate Cities of Los Angeles (USA), Rome (Italy), Budapest (Hungary) and Paris (France).* President Bach added that with such a strong field, the candidature process for the Olympic Games 2024 will be a fascinating contest.

Mayor Hidalgo’s first visit to the IOC Headquarters concludes a cycle of official visits by each Candidate City to the IOC President in Lausanne. President Bach’s trip to Paris in October will complete his own round of visits to the four cities.

“I was delighted to meet with President Bach today and hear his thoughts on how our Paris 2024 bid is progressing,” said Hidalgo. “This was also an excellent opportunity to share Paris’ vision and ambition to deliver a spectacular Games in 2024 that will place sport and Olympism at the very heart of the city and across France. I look forward to working closely with my Paris 2024 colleagues to now take our bid to the next stage of the campaign. Our close collaboration is a great asset for our bid that underlines the unity between the city and the sports movement. I would like to extend my thanks to President Bach for his helpful views and for welcoming us in Lausanne.”

The Paris delegation included NOC President Denis Masseglia, Paris 2024 Co-President Bernard Lapasset and Director General Etienne Thobois. They were accompanied by IOC Members Guy Drut and Tony Estanguet, who is also Paris 2024 Co-President, as well as Olympic bronze medallist Muriel Hurtis-Houairi.

All four 2024 Candidate Cities are scheduled to meet in Lausanne from 12 to 15 July for individual workshops. The Candidature Process has now moved to Stage 2, which focuses on Governance, Legal and Venue funding. The workshops will cover these deliverables as part of the IOC’s continued dialogue with and assistance to the Candidate Cities in line with Olympic Agenda 2020, and follows successful workshops that were held in Stage 1: Vision, Games Concept and Strategy.

The Stage 2 meetings will be led by Associate Director - Olympic Candidatures Jacqueline Barrett, and will also include experts in the relevant fields. The content will be identical for each Candidate City and will focus on the following areas:

• Financial matters
  • Governance and Legal Matters
  • Marketing

The meetings will take the form of presentations followed by detailed discussions, allowing the participants to fully address any relevant points and to assist the cities to continue building solid projects that fit with the long-term development plans of the city and region and will leave a sustainable legacy.

* Cities are listed in the order of drawing of lots

• 2 weeks later...

A small gesture...the First Night of the Proms opened with La Marseillaise

https://www.facebook.com/theproms/videos/10154157383466265/

Unexpected,,,made me well up a little.

Hope you're ok JO, and other French Gamesbidders too. You won't be beaten. We're better than those b#stards.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

This is how Paris youth outreach looks in 2016.

Paris urges young citizens to become reservists

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve on Saturday called on young citizens to become reservists and help boost security forces in the wake of the country's latest terror attack.

Volunteers must be between 17 and 30 years of age, have the right physical and moral aptitude and undergo military training.

They will only be required during the summer period, while the regular reservists are on holiday, said Cazeneuve.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Paris 2024 and the Olympics in general have a very strong opponent in France in the person of Stéphane Mandard, the head of the Sports in the French influential daily Le Monde.

I read the French press a lot during Rio 2016, and it is striking how Le Monde, and especially Mandard, never wastes an opportunity to make a derogatory comment about the Olympics.

If the Games are attributed to Paris, I expect Le Monde to spend their time poking at the Paris 2024 OC.

(To show how reliable Le Monde is nowadays, I have read an article on their web site, saying that their were chimpanzees on the RIo golf course... they have edited it following readers' comments)

Edited by hektor

1 hour ago, hektor said:

Paris 2024 and the Olympics in general have a very strong opponent in France in the person of Stéphane Mandard, the head of the Sports in the French influential daily Le Monde.

I read the French press a lot during Rio 2016, and it is striking how Le Monde, and especially Mandard, never wastes an opportunity to make a derogatory comment about the Olympics.

If the Games are attributed to Paris, I expect Le Monde to spend their time poking at the Paris 2024 OC.

(To show how reliable Le Monde is nowadays, I have read an article on their web site, saying that their were chimpanzees on the RIo golf course... they have edited it following readers' comments)

Let him keep talking. It will mean that Brazil's vote will go to the US!

3 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Let him keep talking. It will mean that Brazil's vote will go to the US!

That is what he is aiming at. I consider that Le Monde is actively campaigning for Paris not to be elected.

More generally, Le Monde's position is to put large scale sports events such as the Games or the Tour de France to an end.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16. August 2016 at 3:32 AM, FYI said:

And how many votes will go to France if the Donald gets elected!! :lol::P

Seriously, given the hysterical mood in France right now (and the burkini ban, one of the most absurd decisions ever in the "war against terror" is nothing but a sign of hysteria), I see it far more likely that Le Pen gets elected than Trump.

Non-FN politicians in France are acting just like what is needed for her to win. Instead of focussing on real issues, they start a campaign against a piece of swimwear. When armed police force women to undress at a beach, a society should realise that sth is seriously wrong there. 

If the ban is upheld, I hope this falls heavily on the Paris bid. After all, the IOC boasts with opening doors for Muslim women to compete over the last few years, and how could you reasonably uphold a burkini ban on the beach and at the same time allow a similar, more sporty version of it in an Olympic pool without appearing a total bigot?

Like I just posted five minutes, that will probably have as much of an impact on Paris' bid like this will have on L.A.'s bid.

http://www.pravdareport.com/news/sports/other/23-08-2016/135408-isinbayeva_ioc-0/

The Russians are not happy at all about the whole USADA-led wanting to ban Russia from Rio. Not to mention the whole U.S. led FIFA scandal from last year. How many are still bitter about that within the IOC, since many from the two organizations overlap. 

If anything, both instances will be a wash. The IOC afterall, has to vote for someone to stage their excessive extravanza. Unless of course, all this baggage from the two strongest bids, puts Rome & Budapest in the drivers seat. But how likely is that, besides not really.